Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Getting WSes before actual levels.. hm..

I mean, most of it is a no brainer, like you can get Viper Bite at 31THF. But, this is tricky, and I don't know how it's gonna work.

Let's say I merited my GKT skill on my NIN (because I did). So, at 63SAM, I'd be able to get more than 225 GKT Skill, and have access to Tachi: Gekko. BUT do I have to have learned that skill on another job? NIN caps GKT, pre-merits, at 220. I don't know.

Someone in my LS says he got Raging Fists like that but it's lower level WS so I'm not exactly sure of what he's saying. Anyone have any idea?

No speculation, please. 'cause I've already done that. lol

Yeah, you should get the WS, you'll learn it when you hit the WS lvl.

So, let's say my base GKT is CAPPED for all jobs at 213.

I'll still get Tachi:Gekko anyway?

I'm pretty sure you need the correct level to learn those WS, or need to have them learned previously to get early access...

Xavier

Its hard to say if the game will pick up on your skill w/o having learned the weaponskill or not, but you're going to have tachi: yukikaze way early, which is pretty huge since its the first ws that doesn't suck for sam.

I did the same thing when I leveled thief.

Putting only 1 merit into dagger, I hoped to get dancing edge at 59. Upon reaching 59 I had the correct 200+ for the WS, but my actual skill was lower... and I couldn't use dancing edge. After that party I went and skilled my actual dagger skill to 200 and it said "Eriu learns Dancing Edge ect ect." Switched back to thief... and I could use it.

Now the odd part. I expected the same thing to happen for shark bite. Upon reaching 65 I assumed I wouldn't have shark bite yet since my actual skill was not up to par. Went on like that for 2 hours, thinking I didn't have shark bite. Then I decided to check the WS list... and there it was, I was able to use Shark Bite without actually "learning" it.

I'm still stumped about it.

Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by EriuBryce

Putting only 1 merit into dagger, I hoped to get dancing edge at 59. Upon reaching 59 I had the correct 200+ for the WS, but my actual skill was lower... and I couldn't use dancing edge. After that party I went and skilled my actual dagger skill to 200 and it said "Eriu learns Dancing Edge ect ect." Switched back to thief... and I could use it.

Now the odd part. I expected the same thing to happen for shark bite. Upon reaching 65 I assumed I wouldn't have shark bite yet since my actual skill was not up to par. Went on like that for 2 hours, thinking I didn't have shark bite. Then I decided to check the WS list... and there it was, I was able to use Shark Bite without actually "learning" it.

When Mitzki merited GTK, he lvled up to 59 and had the technical skill to use tachi: yukikaze, but it didn't appear in his ws list. He logged out and back in, and there it was. I think Square didn't really intend/anticipate (dunno why) people meriting weapons w/ the intent to get weaponskills early, so there isn't any firm application of it.

E. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    Quote Originally Posted by EriuBryce

When Mitzki merited GTK, he lvled up to 59 and had the technical skill to use tachi: yukikaze, but it didn't appear in his ws list. He logged out and back in, and there it was. I think Square didn't really intend/anticipate (dunno why) people meriting weapons w/ the intent to get weaponskills early, so there isn't any firm application of it.
    When I had the sufficient GKT skill for tachi jinpu one level earlier than I should have, I didn't get a "You learned tachi: jinpu" in my log nor did I have it available in my WS list. This made me think I couldn't cheat the system....until I used an equipment swap macro and bam, it appeared in my list. So I got all the weapon skills one level earlier than I should have, except for kasha which is quested and learnt at 71.

So yeah, all you have to do is get the required weapon skill then use any equip swap macro for it to appear in your list forever.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

I merited h2h skill for my MNK via NIN, when your combat skills menu shows you at the level to use WS, change equips/zone/logout and it will be in your list, its like reloading your char, with all values you have. So like when I change equips it reassesses my skill levels, sees the 125+ and says Raging Fists here you go at 39, etc. And I "think" changing equips means changing an equip which makes your char reload, so not rings/earrings/back/waist. When the base skill reaches 125, 225, etc you'll get your pretty message, but you don't need to have it learned prior to use it.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Hmmm sorta releated...

When I skilled up sword to 170 I was able to use Spirits Within due to Suppamomimi but never had gotten a message of actually learning it

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

meh, I deleted my screenshots....
    but my MNK was using howling fist at 59 and Dragon Kick at 64.

So I was using WS's before my base skill level hit the requirement.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I wish so much I had backed up this pic before ff wiped my harddrive ><.

I merited club once for my whm so I could learn Hexa Strike at 67 instead of 67. Not only did I have Hexa Strike at 676 while skilling up at 68.. I used Hexa Strike to learn Hexa Strike >.>;. Log went something like this:

Linsivi readies Hexastrike.
    Linsivi's club skill raises 0.3 skill.
    Linsivi's club skill reaches level 225.
    You learned the weaponskill "Hexastrike"!
    The Steelshell takes 100 points of damage.

Stupid update a few months ago corrupted kernel32.dll ... wiped my pc out. =(

edit> mistype on levels due to lack of sleep^^;

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

I'm currently leveling Paladin and got Spirits Within at 53, Vorpal Blade at 58 and a few others no one cares about earlier too. I'll get Swift Blade at 63 and Savage Blade at 66 too which fucking rocks because of my merited Sword Skill +8. Retribution and Black Halo at 67 is kinda nice as well if a little pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Linsivi
    I merited club once for my whm so I could learn Hexa Strike at 67 instead of 68. Not only did I have Hexa Strike at 67, while skilling up at 68.. I used Hexa Strike to learn Hexa Strike
    White Mage learns Hexastrike at 67.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Russta
    Quote Originally Posted by Linsivi
    I merited club once for my whm so I could learn Hexa Strike at 67 instead of 68. Not only did I have Hexa Strike at 67, while skilling up at 68.. I used Hexa Strike to learn Hexa Strike
    White Mage learns Hexastrike at 67.
    owned

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Question then. I don't remember at the top of my head what jobs can use what trial weapon. But for example someone who doesn't have the skill required to learn, say, Savage Blade cuz they cap before it, but get merits in Sword, could virtually quest Savage Blade?

Please god let us merit all weapons on the next update.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Lasitha
    But for example someone who doesn't have the skill required to learn, say, Savage Blade cuz they cap before it, but get merits in Sword, could virtually quest Savage Blade?
    They couldn't and, even if you have the weapon skill learned and enough skill points, if a job can't initially learn it they still can't use it. To make that clearer, my Bard has more than enough skill points to use Savage Blade but can't even though I have the WS learned from Warrior.

When I had the sufficient GKT skill for tachi jinpu one level earlier than I should have, I didn't get a "You learned tachi: jinpu" in my log nor did I have it available in my WS list. This made me think I couldn't cheat the system....until I used an equipment swap macro and bam, it appeared in my list. So I got all the weapon skills one level earlier than I should have, except for kasha which is quested and learnt at 71.
    Hmm, odd thing is that 90% of my thief macros consisted of changing equipment. Meh, this was 6 or so months ago... and I retired thief soon after I hit 70 with it. Don't think I tried logging off though. /shrug

They couldn't and, even if you have the weapon skill learned and enough skill points, if a job can't initially learn it they still can't use it. To make that clearer, my Bard has more than enough skill points to use Savage Blade but can't even though I have the WS learned from Warrior.
    I had previously head that if you learned Savage Blade on another job and then used BRD with enough +Sword skill gear/merits, you could use the WS, provided that you sub WAR, DRK, or any of the other subjobs you need to unlock Red Lotus, Vorpal Blade, etc. Are you saying that BRD/WAR who has unlocked Savage Blade (via another job), wearing enough +Skill to technically use the WS, still won't have access to it?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Faranim
    I had previously head that if you learned Savage Blade on another job and then used BRD with enough +Sword skill gear/merits, you could use the WS, provided that you sub WAR, DRK, or any of the other subjobs you need to unlock Red Lotus, Vorpal Blade, etc. Are you saying that BRD/WAR who has unlocked Savage Blade (via another job), wearing enough +Skill to technically use the WS, still won't have access to it?
    Bard's Sword cap is 220 which you no doubt know and which I obviously have. I've got +8 from Merits, +5 from Suppanomimi and +7 from Fortitude Torque and I can tell you 100% that with Warrior sub my Bard does not have Savage Blade with that 240 skill.