BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: mpk fix     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level

mpk fix

Addressing MPK Issues

MPK (Monster Player Kill) is a form of player harassment that has plagued many MMORPGs. MPK involves using one's character to purposely cause damage to other players or to unfairly take another's claimed target in the midst of battle. Several measures will be introduced in the next version update to counter these issues.

The upcoming measures are intended to deal with issues regarding the acquisition of items and claiming of monsters, rather than focusing on direct involvement in player disputes.

In previous updates, we have dealt with problems between players by changing fiercely competed-for items to Ex/Rare, changing the locations of certain notorious monsters, and introducing measures against the use of third-party tools that violate the user agreement. Several types of battlefield and burning circle areas were also added to decrease disputes between players.

The following measures were introduced in the version update on August 1, 2005 to further alleviate the issue.

-The command /blockaid was added.*(1)
    -"Trade" offers could no longer be received from characters on a player's blacklist.
    -Players were made unable to use spells or abilities to claim a monster as soon as it appeared.*(2)

However, interaction and competition with other players are what makes an MMORPG enjoyable, and we have no desire to sacrifice those aspects of FINAL FANTASY XI. Players may be affected by situations caused by others, such as suddenly finding oneself in the midst of a train of monsters led by another player trying to escape. Player interaction can be either positive or negative and is an important part of the game. It is essential for players to realize the importance of this interaction and enjoy it, cooperating with one another to solve any minor disputes that may arise.

Unfortunately, there have been several players as of late who have used game features to harass others, particularly in the form of MPK, or taking advantage of a monster's enmity to make it attack others and disrupt the game.

It is the role of the GM team to resolve such issues, but in several cases it can be difficult to determine whether a player intentionally caused a problem after consulting only the chat and action logs. Often there is a discrepancy between both sides of the dispute's claims. In such cases, it would not be proper to choose a side based on personal opinion or to listen to only one side's claims. Therefore, the issues best resolved have been those actually witnessed by the GM. Such difficulties have caused player disputes that require third-party intervention to increase, and we realize that in-game measures must be introduced to alleviate the situation.

In the next version update, we plan to introduce the following measures.

-If a player is KO'd or moves to a new area while fighting a monster at a location in which the monster does not usually inhabit, the monster will not begin attacking others in the surrounding area. Instead, it will simply disappear.

This measure refers to the radius that the monster walks about when not engaged in battle. After being drawn out of that radius during battle and released, the monster will disappear, and then reappear after a short time in its proper location. In addition, the monster that reappears will be the exact same monster that disappeared, and not another monster of the same type. This rule will not apply to notorious monsters.

-Monsters that have been rendered immobile with the "Bind" spell will not attack anyone other than the party or alliance that it is targeting.

The GM team will continue to penalize players who purposely harass others. The GMs will not deal with player disputes after hearing only one position, but will strive to find a solution after consulting all sides. We ask for your cooperation and understanding, and hope that you enjoy interacting with other players in the world of FINAL FANTASY XI.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *(1) The /blockaid command
    The command "/blockaid" was added.
    "/blockaid" has the following effect:
    Magical assistance (such as "Cure" and "Protect"), trades, party invites etc. from non-party/alliance characters will be blocked.
    The "/blockaid" effect will be canceled if the player temporarily logs out to the PlayOnline Viewer, logs out, changes areas, or is KO'd.

Command/Subcommands:
    /blockaid on
    Activate the blockaid effect.
    /blockaid off
    Cancel the blockaid effect.
    /blockaid
    Display current blockaid status.

*(2) Claiming monsters
    Players are no longer able to use spells or abilities to claim a monster as soon as it appears.
    If players attempt to use spells or abilities to claim a monster before a set amount of time has passed since it appeared, they will be unable to use those spells or abilities again for a certain duration.

FINAL FANTASY XI Development Team (12/08/2005)

Shame the claiming thing is broken again but...

E. Body
    BG Level

Wow that sounds good. Finally that shit being fixed.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Now if they can make it so gilsellers can't claim or steal HNM's, they'll be golden.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Just providing a link: http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/information/1208.html

Anyway, good update!

I hope this doesnt sound as bad as I think it might for Beastmasters. A good portion of BST solo XP requires charming a mob in one place and dragging it to another section to fight a tougher pet.

Right now at 69 I am soloing in Attowa Chasm @ Boneyard Gully entrance off Tracker Antlions and the Cutlass Scorpions. Those scorpions ,that are my pets, reside in a different area. Does this mean if I charm it for battle and release it to let it regen that it dissapears immediately? If so this will completely change the dynamic of soloing for BST forever.

E. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by lee3946
    I hope this doesnt sound as bad as I think it might for Beastmasters. A good portion of BST solo XP requires charming a mob in one place and dragging it to another section to fight a tougher pet.

Right now at 69 I am soloing in Attowa Chasm @ Boneyard Gully entrance off Tracker Antlions and the Cutlass Scorpions. Those scorpions ,that are my pets, reside in a different area. Does this mean if I charm it for battle and release it to let it regen that it dissapears immediately? If so this will completely change the dynamic of soloing for BST forever.
    Just remember, you BSTs getting boned by this update is so that the greater good of mankind can prosper.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Hmm expect mob placement changes in the patch after this one

-If a player is KO'd or moves to a new area while fighting a monster at a location in which the monster does not usually inhabit, the monster will not begin attacking others in the surrounding area. Instead, it will simply disappear.

I think the main thing you meant to quote and emphasize was:

Quote:
    Now...will this effect people that fight Tiamat and try to zone his adds. If they appear immediately back at his spawn...that will be a big issue. (Our LS uses a one to two man add team to deal with his adds. Namely me most of the time....this will be impossible for me to do if all of the corses repop back at their original point.)

Yeah that part above isnt what concerns me. Of course for partys and most jobs this will be an excellent change and make life a lot easier for all involved.

But this sentance in the quote concerns me a lot. But then again maybe it wont be like it is described. Only time will tell.....

This measure refers to the radius that the monster walks about when not engaged in battle. After being drawn out of that radius during battle and released, the monster will disappear, and then reappear after a short time in its proper location.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Lockecole
    I think the main thing you meant to quote and emphasize was:

Quote:
    Now...will this effect people that fight Tiamat and try to zone his adds. If they appear immediately back at his spawn...that will be a big issue. (Our LS uses a one to two man add team to deal with his adds. Namely me most of the time....this will be impossible for me to do if all of the corses repop back at their original point.)
    You'll just have to run all night long then

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well this sucks.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Now that's a sweet update.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

I'm understanding this update to only make a mob disappear and repop only if you are dead or you zone somehow, this does not affect BST at all, you just released your Mouriouche, you didn't outrun its aggro at a zone and you surely didn't die. Technically it wasn't even aggro, you released a friendly unit back into its neutral or possibly aggroable state of being.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigma
    Well this sucks.
    agreed

Monsters that have been rendered immobile with the "Bind" spell will not attack anyone other than the party or alliance that it is targeting.
    can't believe it took them this long to fix that.

There goes few add alliance for Tiamats...no more zoning corses..yay going to have to deal with people being charmed!

Black Belt
    BG Level

no more training spiders into the pit at Aery (not that it happens much on Bahamut).

I wonder how this will affect BST onry Tiamat kills

Quote Originally Posted by layoneil
    no more training spiders into the pit at Aery (not that it happens much on Bahamut).

; ; those are the best, goodbye demonic rose friend

There goes few add alliance for Tiamats...no more zoning corses..yay going to have to deal with people being charmed!
    Naah if anything on my server it benefits NA LSes over the JPs. Our JP HNMLSes all are like 20man teams...and can barely scrounge up the people most of the time to kill a wyrm, let alone drop 6+ people from MA to deal with the numerous adds there. Normally they have 1 NIN just zone everything, which even then can be kinda risky if elemental weather repops while that NIN is zoning corses.

The only thing that needs to be done is just to have a backup kiter, possibly 2 for corse, and a 3rd for elementals. 1 zones corses as the other waits for them to repop, then that person waiting can just zone them again, with a third there waiting for the elementals which can seriously just be kited all the way up the no aggro zone until weather dissapears.

Makes add team alot more work then it used to be but sure as hell still beats Jorm. (which..uggh will be an issue with how my LS deals with his adds also.)

Another question...does this update make it so that anyway in which aggro is lost on a mob outside of its spawn zone, it will dissapear and respawn? Cause mobs which can lose aggro using "Hide" would still be an issue, then again the amount of MPKable mobs would still be severely reduced. Im just wondering if SE is being too generic about this and it will in turn effect ALL types of aggro loss, not just KO and zoning, and also include releasing mobs as a BST.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast