Thread: My Life In Vana'diel     submit to reddit submit to twitter

With milk. With love
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

My Life In Vana'diel

http://vanadiel.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3146509 <--- year-end special, and I think an important read for all of us.

http://vanadiel.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3146509 <--- year-end special, and I think an important read for all of us.
    Important read how? To show us that Milkman still has no clue about the things he chooses to stay ignorant in,(anything involving endgame) even after playing this game for 2years+? Well if thats it, then I guess I learned alot. :wink:

Relic Shield
    BG Level

bleh. mabye he means well, but the tone is just harsh. He also looks down on things he has not tried. I know you can read a lot about stuff on message boards, but until my first trip through sky I didn't know how much I was unaware of. He had a good point, like about applying for HNMLS, but then comes at everyone with a really harsh tone about how he's the only one who runs linkshells correctly anymore, didn't sit right with me is all.

I am trying to review this kindly, but simply put it wasen't a good read.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Dawnbringer

Well, I happen to agree with him 100%. I don't believe this game is really about how uber you are or how much loot you get, but about the people you stand alongside as you get said loot.

When you eventually leave FFXI for another game (and let's face it, everyone is going to quit eventually) you aren't going to take your Osode with you. You aren't going to take your Maat's Cap. The only thing you can take with you to the next game is your friends.

It's the people who forget this that help ruin the game for everyone else. I'd rather spend a few hours questing together with some friends in my linkshell on stuff like avatars or AF1 than killing JoL/AV with a bunch of douchebags who I can't stand, even if the loot from JoL is much better. (Except that it wouldn't be better... but this is a hypothetical situation invented to illustrate my point, so let's just pretend that it is)

There are very few guilds/linkshells in any game that successfully attempt to focus on 'endgame' content while still maintaining a friendly, drama-free, family-ish atmosphere. I've been incredibly lucky to find two such groups - One in FFXI and another in WoW. It makes these games much more enjoyable - at least, when the company behind the game doesn't seem to be actively conspiring against you. (Mandatory "ffxi sucks" reference per post satisfied)

the magazine that i used to read that Milkman shit closed or something and i had another year left

the magazine that i used to read that Milkman shit closed or something and i had another year left
    Yes it was called GMR. I subscribed to it also, and was excited that we had someone to represent us on our server. Not so glad now. My problem is that he feels the two are exclusive, having an HNMLS doing endgame events, and having an LS of tight-nit people who love to be around eachother, and put all of their time into helping them. It doesnt have to be exclusive, and in many instances it isn't and hasn't.

I love how Link Shells fall apart every day (TMO and IN are the two oldest existing NA HNMLSes on Siren that are still together) and he chooses one that is the most tight-nit and accomplished of all of them to make as a template for all that is wrong in endgame. Look towards the people who fail, the LS leaders who didnt care after they got their Osode, to the LSes who lost a 30mil bank to some greedy person, to LSes who break because their Leaders cant give gear to those who deserve it. Please if you're gonna undermine my LS on your public LJ for shit you have no fucking clue about, it better be good.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

He does illustrate a primary failing of all HNMLSes: In one way or another HNMLSes do become kind of like street gangs, who feel completely entitled to call people they've never met assholes, noobs, loot whores, and all kinds of weird, unsubstantiated shit just because you don't have the same pearl color or because somehow you aren't as good/lucky at pushing buttons to claim and kill monsters in this game.

Tight knit groups are fine and all but they're only that way by chance. Who the hell really knows each other in an LS? Do we invite each other to dinner? Play cards and smoke cigars every wednesday night? No, this is basically IRC with pretty graphics.

'I don't know who you are so I can ignore you and trash talk and look down on you every day if I feel like it.' Is a common response to people peeking in on the endgame community of any MMORPG. It's alienating to say the least. We're all guilty of it, there's just something about human nature that makes us see outsiders as lessers instead of equals, in spite of the fact that all status in this game is 100% virtual, and is only as 'earned' as that high score on the Pac-Man machine at your local grimy pizzeria.

Milkman plays his game. Shame he's not a BST, his attitude is probably perfect for the job and now that they cut the balls off BST soloing he'll probably never be one. But he sure hates the way people who consider themselves in an established, tightly-knit group treat his online friends, and he's venting. Who wouldn't?

I don't think his post was all that horrible, and he made alot of good points. I mean look at ANY forum that is widely used for any server and you will see 90% of the time, LSs tearing eachother apart for not other reason than to feel superior. And even the ones that are not "lootwhores", because "someone passes to people who earned it from being in it longer", doesn't make you a good group of people, if you spend all your time tearing eachother apart.

I mean i'm not going to lie, i have gotten into my fair share of flame wars with some of these people, but never to say "hey i'm better than you", but more to say "who the fuck are you to say you are better than anyone else".

FFXI when you start it is full of wonder, and amazes you at every turn when it's new. You almost feel like a child again, looking at everything with such amazement and everything is awesome. Then people slowly lose that sense of wonder, and start to build up new "endgame goals". And thats when the game changes. Even if within your own LS you have a great tight knit group and have fun doing the things you do, usually you will have outside people that want to tear you down or try to feel superior.

It used to upset me, but now i've really gotten to a point of "who fucking cares". People are going to talk shit, people are going to act like assholes, and people are going to try to fuck up the game's enjoyment for anyone that's not in thier LS (which is really just a clique). But for every 1 of those people that do those things, there are 2-3 really amazing people that can really be a pleasure to partake in this glorified chat room with. Because that's all this game is, a kick ass version of Yahoo Games. But instead of playing Pool against your friends while you chat, you go beat some shit up and laugh and have fun. People lose track of that, because unfortunatly it's the louder ones people take notice of are usually the assholes. And they overshadow all the amazing people that you can meet in this game.

FF lost most of it's excitment a long time ago for me. Personally i think Endgame will never be fixed to where it can be enjoyable. But it doesn't bother me too much, and i will most likely continue to log on, because i enjoy the company i keep in the game. And even then most of us talk more about how we can't wait for upcomming games to come out and try them together.

Well i guess the point of this rambling is more or less, if you are going to pay to play a game, fucking enjoy it. Don't let assholes get to you, don't let a game stress you out, and don't lose sleep over it. Because in the end of the day, that guy was fucking right, you are taking nothing from this game besides your memories.

Do you think you are going to remember "omg FF was awesome when i played it, I had, M.body, A.Body, OMGUber Sword, DroolOverMe Hat"

or

Do you think you will remember the times you had hillarious conversations you've had, the funny people you've met, the inside jokes you've beat into the ground, and the crazy shit in game you've done just becaues you thought it was fun, not fore the sake of epenis. Or spending hours on things like teamspeak laughing with people who you would come to call friends, and in some cases even meet and make RL memories with having fun and doing crazy shit. (like i know i'll never forget the time i met friends from game in Toronto for a huge event there, and being drunk and humping my friends leg because it felt like the thing to do since my taru humps everything that moves... silly? sure. lame? probably. Memoriable? hell ya. Funny in the moment of the situation to everyone? You bet. lol)

Have fun, remember no matter what you have done, what you can do, what others can and can't do, or any other lame thing people get caught up in, it's just a game. Enjoy it, but even more importantly, let others enjoy it too. ^^

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Dawnbringer

Quote Originally Posted by Eromenos-Ifrit
    i met friends from game in Toronto for a huge event there, and being drunk and humping my friends leg because it felt like the thing to do
    Whoa, too much information.

He does make some good points, but, I just love this comment:

I'll put any high level Roundabout up against any player from any other LS with maxed-out merits in everything. Our players are good, and if they're not good, we make them good.
    A pretty bold statement, and yet...

It's always disappointing when someone you've either come up with, or someone you've helped rise through the ranks, gets restless and heads for greener pastures because they now want 1) their Relic gear, 2) God gear, 3) drops from tough NMs like Serket, or 4) go off chasing some cyber-tail (hey, guys, they probably don't look as good in real life - MEOW!), etc.
    Serket is tough?

Our numbers may be low (average attendance seems to be in the 20s), but we're capable of handling most non-mega-alliance-based situations (everything but Dynamis, or gods like Kirin) ourselves.
    Kirin can be done with attendance in the 20s, especially if you're good, as he claims his LS is.

Do you think you are going to remember "omg FF was awesome when i played it, I had, M.body, A.Body, OMGUber Sword, DroolOverMe Hat"

or

Do you think you will remember the times you had hillarious conversations you've had, the funny people you've met, the inside jokes you've beat into the ground, and the crazy shit in game you've done just becaues you thought it was fun, not fore the sake of epenis. Or spending hours on things like teamspeak laughing with people who you would come to call friends, and in some cases even meet and make RL memories with having fun and doing crazy shit.
    Why cant both be done? People have to get it out of their mind that HNMLSes are full of communistic nazis who play the game only for the loot. Wether its AF1 quests or 3 Kings, we're here as an LS doing things we enjoy with the people we've come to care about: the fact that its on a higher lvl changes nothing.

I'm on his server btw, and many of the things are personally directed at my LS, members in it, and the events that happen on my server. The only reason why I took the stand I did, because basically this is all firsthand. Yes alot of the things he says are right of certain LSes, and of certain people, but he knows nothing of what he speaks of, neither by firsthand knowledge or even by association. That's what irritates me, that he feels he has some higher authority because he can type on a public glorified LJ thats supported by his company, and that he feels he has the right to speak on things that he really has no clue about. If anything given the responsibility he has, of representing his LS and our server as Siren...he should try and be a little more accurate about the things he says in the first place.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I'm not saying he's completely wrong or anything like that, I think his Tone is uncalled for and looks down on the reader.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

GYOGI IS GIMP! AF1 MASK!

8)

Milkman

Quote Originally Posted by Lockecole
    I'm on his server btw, and many of the things are personally directed at my LS, members in it, and the events that happen on my server. The only reason why I took the stand I did, because basically this is all firsthand. Yes alot of the things he says are right of certain LSes, and of certain people, but he knows nothing of what he speaks of, neither by firsthand knowledge or even by association. That's what irritates me, that he feels he has some higher authority because he can type on a public glorified LJ thats supported by his company, and that he feels he has the right to speak on things that he really has no clue about. If anything given the responsibility he has, of representing his LS and our server as Siren...he should try and be a little more accurate about the things he says in the first place.
    To be honest, Locke, I don't really have any problem with IN. I have a problem with a specific comment by a specific person which was aimed at a friend of mine, which is how I saw it in the first place. Forgive me for despairing that someone would address someone in that tone. Maybe you think it's cool. And your assumption that I know "jack shit" about the endgame content is woefully misplaced. FFXI is just one element of my daily job; helping run 1UP.com and working with all of Ziff's magazine's takes up 99% of my time. But if anyone in the media has access to the FFXI team and sees/tries all the new content before you do, it's me. No other magazine or web-outlet outside of dedicated MMO sites like Alla have dedicated more pages to the game we play, for two years running no less.

If my glorified Livejournal bothers you, take heart that I've tried to use it to perpetuate interest in the game, by showing stuff to average people who might otherwise quit well before reaching their first limit-break. You want to talk about using my powers responsibly to represent Siren? Who do you think is doing those interviews with Tanaka and spreading the info out to the players? You sure as hell aren't. That was me at S-E HQ in Shinjuku checking out the 360 version of the game two weeks ago, and passing along the tidbits about Aht Urghan to our readers. But if talking tough on a message board makes you feel better, keep it up.

I'm not going to go into the specifics of your multiple accusations, but let me clarify that I really don't pay IN or most HNMLSes any mind, generally. I took exception to one specific incident, because someone pointed out some comments made by an IN member addressed at someone I consider a friend. I imagine you would do the same, in some form or another, if someone talked to you or a friend in the same manner. But if you want to talk about uninformed, you don't even know who your people are being a dick to on your message board. That's what really cracks me up! Oh lord if you only knew. If You Only Knew. But hey, I'm just a bystander.^^

When FFXI shuts down 5, 10 years from now -- and it will -- you're not going to have a memory save to load up and run Lockecole around East Ronfaure for old time's sake. You're going to have nothing but screenshots. So all your mighty god gear isn't going to be remembered by anyone. Just your reputation. Yeah, yeah, half the people who read this are going to think I'm just coming in here trying to act all hot shit, but I'm really just clarifying for you, who seem to have missed the point and taken it personally, that your pal dissed my pal. Re-read the quote and tell me it's not ridiculous.

But thanks for acting like you know me, and the limit of my knowledge of this game. I haven't so much as said "boo" to you since you exam-raped me in Ordelle's a year ago when you couldn't voke a Chyme off me, but whatever. You've done well. I've seen you in your gear running around the Safehold. I can respect it, but I'm not jealous of it. I do alright by myself. But some people seem to think that having mega-uber-rare virtual pants (or gloves, or maybe a bow!) is a license to treat another player like a piece of shit. Do I have a problem with that? Yeah. I hardly think that's a surprising reaction. The items may not be real, but the malicious intent is.

Turning to DrObvious, I never said my LS was filled to the rim with level 75s with every sub capped and the right job balance to handle every mob out there. I said my LS was filled with good people. There's a difference. The high-level guys in my LS I'm very sure of their abilities, so I don't think rattling off a list of mobs we should be able to kill "easily" as a team is going to prove anything. I know plenty of high-level players who got to 75 by sheer attrition, and I'm sure you do too. 75 does not necessarily equal good player. I know one WHM75 who has about 5 other level 75 jobs on Siren who, when leveling WHM in his 70s, ate mithkabobs and meleed so he could contribute a 34 dmg Hexa Strike to the damage total. How about a RNG75 who pulls with Barrage? I've seen it, you've seen it. They're out there. The point of my article was not to have it combed over by the authorities. It was to reinforce the fact that we shouldn't let items get in the way of a good time or determine the path you take in XI. Just tonight I heard about a player -- who used to be in my LS -- who as soon as she won lots on a Pixie Earring and a Ridill, immediately disbanded and took off, leaving her HNMLS and the situation they were in, in the dust. That's the kind of player we should all hope to avoid.

New Merits
    BG Level

than worrying about camping Ullikumi for 3 hours just so that I have a chance at potentially getting a piece of gear from Genbu that will only help me to fight mobs like Genbu in the first place.
    mmm last I checked... Ulli pop item was used for byakko
    i suggest if you post something you do your hw first then post since apparently you never even experienced endgame

I like how he refers to other people as "geeks" yet he logs on every day after work.

Milkman

Quote Originally Posted by Ddong
    than worrying about camping Ullikumi for 3 hours just so that I have a chance at potentially getting a piece of gear from Genbu that will only help me to fight mobs like Genbu in the first place.
    i suggest if you post something you do your hw first then post since apparently you never even experienced endgame
    Talk to Keebler. That's his quote but thanks anyway. I think he was just trying to make a point. But yeah! He should have fact checked!

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

1up sucks in general.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

I like how he refers to other people as "geeks" yet he logs on every day after work.
    Fine, lie about the fact you wish it was your job was to play video games all day :D

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Milkman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddong
    Talk to Keebler. That's his quote but thanks anyway. I think he was just trying to make a point. But yeah! He should have fact checked!
    actually he should have, making a statement like that shows us that you have no actual endgame experience and therefore lowers any credibility you have in said topic. also for the record your roundabout ppl would not win against the same job if the other job had maxed merits. that is a fact check you should have done before you made the comment, which shows me you dont have the endgame experience to make the comments that you did. If you hate this "snobby" attitude that we "elitist" portray then how about you gtfo of these forums. simple as that. You comment that you have "no time for the attitude" and that you dont like the bickering which comes with endgame shells, but you sure have no problem coming here and creating more. I actually aggreed with your post 100%, i just have the attitude if you dont like it stay out of the forums which display this behavior.

one more thing

But if anyone in the media has access to the FFXI team and sees/tries all the new content before you do, it's me.
    thank you for displaying the same attitude that you condemn. So does experiencing all this new content make you better than everyone who has a 75 job? you see in the real world we call ppl like you hypocrites. you condemn a certain attitude, but in the same post you glorify how much better you are than all of us "bc i experience things first." that is the same attitude of a 75 telling a lvl 50 how to do things bc he "experienced them first." sorry bud but you fail, your arguement would have been much more believable if you didnt come here and contradict yourself. Im sure though you will have a retort to everything i said and im looking forward to reading it :D .

its cool dood, keep up the good work!!!