Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    New Merits
    BG Level

Tmart
    - A typical Gaijin. He randomly goes use emotion / speak english on strangers (expect everyone is an English speaker). Then when a Japanese guy replied "I can't speak English". He replied "YOUR LANUAGE IS SILLY"
    http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/040513.jpg

lol that is prolly why he said it quoting that comic

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rui Seiken
    FFXIV Server
    Jenova
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

ZOMG I LOVE ANIME ZOMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I AM AN OTAKU I WISH I WAS JAPANESEEEEEEEEEEEEE DBZ 4 LYFE SSJ SEPHIROTH!!!!1

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Armani
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes11
    You got issues if you thinking checking is rude. If it annoys you so damn much, turn your filter on. Don't be a child
    It is considered a cuss word(F*** you) when you check a JP without permission. Unless there is something in his bazaar.
    except this douchebag states that he's not even japanese so he's just not doing anything but riding some jp cock pretending to be something he's not and being offended I'm sure solely on the basis that "jp would find it offensive, so should I!"

Not to mention he's using gaijin every other word like it's going out of style.

On the other hand, I can almost understand if you were some 14 year old japanese girl being somewhat creeped out by /check, since as far as I know the log translates more like staring in jp (if anyone knows exactly how it goes lemme know, been over a year since I heard the actual translation so I don't remember it verbatim) but if you're not said 14 year old japanese girl, grow up and get over it. You know exactly what's happening, you know the person /checking isn't slapping you across the face or cursing out your family, he's just using a feature in a game. If it bothers you that much, there's even a nifty filter for it! If you're gonna give me crap about "oh but I won't be able to tell when my friends check me", go hang yourself. If it was really so horribly offensive to japanese culture to /check people (in a video game ) then I'm sure the wonderful programmers at SE would have made a "check request" feature so you can't check anyone without permission. Because, you know, they're good at doing bullshit stuff like that rather than fixing the real problems with the game.

So here's what I don't get:

Japanese people made this game. It was released to Japanese people first. Later, everything was translated to English and released to North America. So these Japanese developers created a feature in which you insult another player (not out of the question, we have /slap) and tie this the only way to look at someone's equipment, their linkshell, or the items they're selling. O.o

Does that strike anyone else as odd? If it was an English game I could understand if something in /check was lost in the translation and it was a little bit rude when the JPs read it. But that's not how it worked. Are we left to conclude that /check was intentionally made to be rude? That seeing what linkshell someone is affliated with is rude? That looking through items which the player is trying to sell is rude?

Or do we have some people (JP and NA poseurs alike) just being little bitches?

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The JP "check" brings up the same text as if you were to type /stare except it says "anata" instead of your name in the emote. So yeah it's kinda rude. I used to be all 'wtf' if people checked me for no reason, now I really don't care unless they're gay and spam check.

JP kinda find it rude because it's pretty direct. Remember kids; being direct in japan is bad.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Rex is right, I play on japanese version. I don't want to log in to check the exact words but for the /stare emote and the /check emote the text is the same. Except for /stare it comes with ・・・ at the end. I think it's something like じっと見つめた.

::edit::

Kuno you beat me to it =(

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Lasitha
    Kuno you beat me to it =(
    8)

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    The JP "check" brings up the same text as if you were to type /stare except it says "anata" instead of your name in the emote. So yeah it's kinda rude. I used to be all 'wtf' if people checked me for no reason, now I really don't care unless they're gay and spam check.

JP kinda find it rude because it's pretty direct. Remember kids; being direct in japan is bad.
    As pointed out, JPs made the game so why make /check have such a "direct" statement printed when used? Surely, there has to be some better way of saying it.

You can also filter it, but it seems people prefer to make themselves upset. It'd be like not making use of the blist feature imo.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You know what? I call bullshit on the "/check" thing.

I get enough /checks from Japanese players when I don't have a Bazaar up that a lot of JP are either full of shit or total hypocrites about being upset when people check them. (I say "full of shit".)

I had to get that off of my chest.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus

I get enough /checks from Japanese players when I don't have a Bazaar up that a lot of JP are either full of shit or total hypocrites about being upset when people check them. (I say "full of shit".)

Duelist's Chapeau - kthxbye

i only get checked when i wear weird stuff (SAM AF2 body)

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno

Direct is bad in all counts exact directly botting HQ's.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

While I sympathize with the japanese culture/being direct thing, this is a game, and you would think even japanese people would realize that.

And like a couple of people have said, and I sort of vaguely referred to with my SE comment, since this was originally a japanese game, do you really think something truly offensive as this (like some would lead you to believe) would have been implemented in the first place, let alone remained in the game this entire time? I, too, call bullshit. For something that seems to upset japanese players so much, apparently nobody has complained to SE this whole time, so either they enjoy being offended or just use this to give NA players grief.

The Veriest Berriest
    Pretty Pretty Princess

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by layoneil

cough TENZEN cough cough

I like getting /examined (*'-') and sometimes I will /blush or /nod to someone when they do it. I just wish I had room to bazaar the chocolate french food thing that Septimus gave me. And the love chocolates I got. 8)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

But the point is, if being /checked is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo awful to the point of being a mortal sin, why are they checking other people? People are either full of crap about being checked, or they are hypocrites.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkei
    I like getting /examined (*'-') and sometimes I will /blush or /nod to someone when they do it. I just wish I had room to bazaar the chocolate french food thing that Septimus gave me. And the love chocolates I got. 8)
    o.0 have tons of random people sending you love chocolates?

The Veriest Berriest
    Pretty Pretty Princess

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Janice
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkei
    o.0 have tons of random people sending you love chocolates?
    a couple, but yours is the only signed one (*'3')

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

But the point is, if being /checked is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo awful to the point of being a mortal sin, why are they checking other people? People are either full of crap about being checked, or they are hypocrites.
    It's the age old JP vs NA thing. Kind of like when a NA person MPK'd my party, i called a GM and the player was removed immediatley. I called a GM when a JP died on my party with a ton of skeletons forcing us to escape, then coming back to see him getting R2'd and his party now in our old camp, GM did nothing.

You know what? Anyone going to the next event that SE is holding with the developers? Ask them about the check thing, and why do JP's get into a changing-armor-pissy-fit when you want to see what magic items they've got.

if you type /check " " changing armor wont turn it off if i remember correctly. i check everyone all the time and i dont care if they are offended it is part of the game

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I actually like when people check me cause I'm proud of the gear I've earned and I think it's pretty nice. :D And I feel bad when someone checks me right before I hit a macro that changes my gear cause they might think I was being an anti-/check nazi.