+ Reply to Thread
    Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Okotes vs. Melee Gloves/+1

These gloves have nice stats, with 4 less attack than okotes, is it really a big deal to lose 4 attack while gaining HP and subtle blow in the process? I ask so I may sell the okotes, but the better question is if I upgrade my gloves, I'm at 18 attack and 5 subtle blow, I really think 2 attack won't make or break anything I'll do with mnk, which is mostly merit pt's in the tomb and the occasional Limbus runs I go to as MNK. Any opinions please? I personally don't see 4 attack as a big deal, and upgrading these definately is a +. (I have already had a lot of bynes sitting around so this upgrade isnt costing me gil technically, just need -1 drop)

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

The only use for Ochiudo's if you have Melee Gloves is for other jobs. 4 Attack is negligable. Yes every bit helps and your attack still isn't capped on xp mobs with dual mineut and berserk, but that much isn't going to be noticable. I'd keep kote for a bit longer though just as an investment. They've jumped 4 mil in price on Gilgamesh in the last 10 days.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

O-kotes look cooler. Especially on galka

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

what the hell does that have to do with the topic? thats the shame about this board sometimes you have to wade through pages and pages of useless offtopic shit to get 4-5 posts of real information.... by the way this was completely off topic and will probably ruin this entire thread

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

They do look cooler though =P

But in all reality, the attack difference isn't too great, so I'd go with the Melee Gloves because it saves you a grip of money, and because they don't have the small evasion down. Yes it's small but if you're soloing something as MNK/NIN it could prove to be a nice help.

However, if you're not done with CoP, or think you might help at all with CoP, do NOT get rid of the O Kote. They are godly for level capped missions. Or if you ever plan on leveling SAM or NIN.

Xavier

If you're planning to upgrade the gloves to Melee Gloves+1, those are by far the best choice. 2 less attack, and a lot of other benefits.

Okotes > Melee gloves (and +1) for xp.
    For other things, well it depends on what you're doing and what the rest of your gear layout is.

Before you sell off your okotes, be sure you'll never want to do cap40 or cap50 or cap60, because OKotes are by far the best gloves for mnk at these stages, and they'll be 2-3 mil more to buy back within a month.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

If anything I'd keep the Okotes as an investment, things seem to be jumping up all the time

Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    Okotes > Melee gloves (and +1) for xp.
    For other things, well it depends on what you're doing and what the rest of your gear layout is.

Before you sell off your okotes, be sure you'll never want to do cap40 or cap50 or cap60, because OKotes are by far the best gloves for mnk at these stages, and they'll be 2-3 mil more to buy back within a month.
    Melee Gloves +1
    HP +3%
    Attack +18
    Subtle Blow +5
    Enhances Chakra Effect

Ochiudo's Kote
    Resist vs. Light -8
    Resist vs. Dark +8
    Attack +20
    Evasion -5

2 atk means absolutely nothing in an xp pt (at least at 75, which is what I guess we're talking about since Melee Gloves+1 were brought into the topic). Added in 3% more hp from the gloves, 5 subtle blow and an enhanced chakra vs. -5 evasion, -8 light and +8 drk, and I'd struggle to see how o. kotes are better endgame, maybe Bandomusha Kote since it has 4 more atk, still has the +3% hp and has more resists on it.

I do agree that in terms of money, O. Kote is a solid investment. I also agree that if you ever plan on doing leveled cap stuff, its not smart to sell them as the price will keep going up and they're increadibly useful low-level.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

+2 attack is still +2 attack. There are reasons why people choose republic over federation subligar.

The price might not justify the marginal extra attack, but that's more of a personal decision, I guess.

The enhanced chakra can be macroed in, subtle blow will mean absolute crap in an xp party, and the hp+3% is just about as useless.

Banned.

BG Level

subtle blow will mean absolute crap in an xp party, and the hp+3% is just about as useless.
    Not as useless and crap as +2 more Attack and -5 Evasion...

+2 attack is still +2 attack. There are reasons why people choose republic over federation subligar.
    Yeah, it's called E-Penis.

It's not so you can do your job better. Trust me, if 75% of the mass hordes who play this game decided to learn how to play their job the correct way, instead of worrying about how many white or blue-borders they have, their parser would be alot better, their XP/Hour would be alot better.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Lockecole
    Yeah, it's called E-Penis.

It's not so you can do your job better. Trust me, if 75% of the mass hordes who play this game decided to learn how to play their job the correct way, instead of worrying about how many white or blue-borders they have, their parser would be alot better, their XP/Hour would be alot better.
    YOU WIN TEH INTERNETS

Xavier

I just think that at 75, +2 atk translates into +0 extra dmg, while +3% hp turns out to be roughly +50 hp and subtle blow does something even if you'll never really tell the differnece.

HP+ is not really worth a lot in xp.
    Atk > Eva in xp (for monks) as evidenced by the fact that mnks wear merman/spike earings rather than elusive.
    Subtle blow is arguable, but generally I find that subtle blow means jack when you've got multiple low-delay people bashing on an xp mob. Especially since 95% of the time the mob uses its TP moves at random, and has over 100TP almost the entire fight.

As for arguments that Ochikote is expensive, do remember that this upgrade requires 26 dynamis coins--which is not cheap or easy to collect--in addition to the relic-1 drop--which is a 1mil hourglass spent for relatively few coins--and once you do perform the upgrade you can never reverse it to get your money back, were you to get an alternate pair of gloves (bandomusha?)

Sea Torques
    BG Level

id keep my okote for low lv missions, bc or whatever it is...its helpful..and ill never use those things as a ninja just doesnt seem right to me

Sea Torques
    BG Level

These decisions depend on so many factors. I have bandomusha kote and still generally prefer temple gloves+1 (for the str+6 subtle blow and so i don't have to swap for enhanced boost at ws which is about +40 atk or more), or seiryu's kote (to help evading, guarding, countering, and skilling up guard), or melee gloves.

For example it depends on what mob you fight (high def like crabs or other softer or monk-friendly mobs etc) and what food you eat.
    If you eat say yellow curry and sub warrior, you already have a ton of attack, more than is really that noticeable. I don't know if you ever tried this, but you can easily boost enough times to get ATK temporarily capped to 999, and you can see that your damage on the first punch won't really be anything different than normal or only slightly better. You can also try attacking lower level mobs. Hand2hand is weird that way, I can critical for about 210 per punch on VT skeletons in KRT, but if i attack a skeleton that is 50 levels below, my damage still caps the same way.
    If you eat accuracy food like sushi, then atk might be more noticeable.

Also subtle blow makes a big difference in xp pts too, and when soloing even more, and if you are in a mnk pt in krt, all monks are main tanks, so they all need as much evasion and hp%+ as possible, and again subtle blow there can make a big difference since mobs sometimes are about to do another aoe tp move right as they are on their last leg usually, sometimes they pull it off, sometimes you kill first.

To be honest at 75 especially with things like byakko's haidate etc, I notice criticals make the most difference, even on limnus mobs like proto-ultima etc, a normal attack might do 0-10, a critical will do 50-70, so atk is not so noticeable compared to DEX for example.

The main advantage of kotes is the fact that you can use them at low levels. But for example if you are a hume like me, hume rse gloves STR+3 and DEX+3 are pretty awesome too until af1 gloves. Plus at least on my server Diabolos, the same gilsellers camp the kote 24/7, so while it's not as bad as buying gil, if you buy kote from them you are still part of the problem instead of the solution.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Bandomusha Kote.