+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Dawnbringer

Would you recommend that new players play FFXI?

Somebody in an IRC room I frequent asked me a question a few minutes ago: "Is FFXI any good? Should I play it?" This person's only real experience with MMOGs is a few months spent in WoW. I'm curious what the experienced, hardcore, sometimes jaded FFXI'ers that hang out here would have to say about this:

Was the fun you had way back when you started playing this game worth it? If you knew back then what you know about the game now, would you have still played, or would you have passed it over for something else?

The logical next question after the first would be: Knowing what you know now, do you still see yourself playing FFXI a year from now?

I loved FFxi to death when I was a noob 2 years ago and I still see myself playing it a year from now so I'd say yes to him trying it especially since there releasing it on Xbox360

I dont think Id be able to say yes, couldnt do it to em lol

ask him if he wants to keep a social life

I have a social life in RL and in game its possible you now

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

i wonder how the new players are coping with some of these prices lol

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I see myself still playing a year from now, but honestly I couldn't see myself telling someone to go for it without a total explanation of pros/cons accompanying it.

Love-God among men.
    BG Level

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by angelkitty
    I have a social life in RL and in game its possible you now
    You lie!

Quote Originally Posted by Daahan
    i wonder how the new players are coping with some of these prices lol
    IGE slashed prices! Same way we made gil, selling crystals.

Quote Originally Posted by nivlakian
    I see myself still playing a year from now, but honestly I couldn't see myself telling someone to go for it without a total explanation of pros/cons accompanying it.

I would tell him that Id rather commit suicide before playing FFXI again.

i'd say no. mainly because you wouldnt be able to afford anything with this freakin inflation

Black Belt
    BG Level

depends on the person, if it was a perfectionist, like someone who plays GTA and has to get to 100% before stopping or any other game and has to unlock all the secrets, etc before moving on to the next game, i would say no.

if it were a more carefree person, i would tell them to try it out.

and yes, i will probably still be playing in a year and yes i would've still started the game knowing what i know now, though hopefully i would've done a few things differently.

I loved FFxi to death when I was a noob 2 years ago and I still see myself playing it a year from now so I'd say yes to him trying it especially since there releasing it on Xbox360
    /comfort.

Denial is a grueling and disheartening process.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I'd say no. If I could go back in time and stop myself from playing ffxi and start WoW, I'd do it. As it is now I'm too deep into ffxi to quit atm

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Id say yes but with a twinge of guilt since I would know their life would be gone after they installed

Quote Originally Posted by Parshath
    /comfort.

Denial is a grueling and disheartening process.
    LOL ^_^; i'll just shutup now I guess since everything I say is denile or a lie or w/e sorry if I have the meens to actually enjoy myself in the game because I rather be in a social LS with all my friends despite my level then be in a endgame LS where the stress makes it a miserable experience

Banned.

BG Level

I'd say if you want, but you are going to need a lot of paintence and a lot of tolerance. Also, don't go to forums. Ever. This one included. It will MAKE you hate the game.

I suggested the game to my neighbor.
    He's doing well. He started few months ago and is already RNG61 on Midgardsormr (different server than me since he knew more friends playing on that server).
    It's always funny when I talk with him. Everything he's telling me that is going on on Midgardsormr. Here's the last thing he told me "I bought leaping boots for 2.8M and selled them back for 3.9M the next day"
    I couldn't stop laughing and felt sad as well telling him things weren't like this long time ago.
    I'm proud that he started to craft from the start. He makes his own arrows, a woodworker (I know he was above 60 last time we were talking about crafting). Also one of his friends make food for him and supply him with ninja tools.

I think the key for new players to have fun is to already know people playing.

I'm more worried for new players who doesn't know anyone, but I'm sure they can manage to do well.

Old Merits
    BG Level

When the Xbox 360 version is out, I'm going to pick a noob and become his mentor, shower him with items, help, and useful information. He will be my padawan and one day be almost as l337 as me. And he can pay me in sex.

Love-God among men.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BRP
    Also, don't go to forums. Ever. This one included. It will MAKE you hate the game.
    This is the most true statement in this whole thread. Nothing like the collective bitching of a large group of people to bring you down.