Quote Originally Posted by Alleya
    Quote Originally Posted by Revenant2
    zigma rocked the thread anyway 8)
    Best kept secret in tech support:

http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1
    or is this?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

the SAME EXACT THING happened to me and another player I know. I warned him not to uninstall FFXI but he didn't listen <_<

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf
    the SAME EXACT THING happened to me and another player I know. I warned him not to uninstall FFXI but he didn't listen <_<
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/1999/01/06

I hate to say...

Your wrong about reinstalling the OS each time you get a new motherboard... I bought a new motherboard 2 months ago and put it in hooked everything up and the existing copy of Windows XP already on the main hard drive booted up without a problem... Plus I think it may be your hard drive... Same file got "corrupted" when my Laptop hard drive went bad. Anyway good luck!

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Whoa! Welcome back DarkMistSkeleton, we all missed you.

There are false prophets among us,
    who bring in damnable heresies,
    and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

Re: I hate to say...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMistSkeleton
    Your wrong about reinstalling the OS each time you get a new motherboard... I bought a new motherboard 2 months ago and put it in hooked everything up and the existing copy of Windows XP already on the main hard drive booted up without a problem... Plus I think it may be your hard drive... Same file got "corrupted" when my Laptop hard drive went bad. Anyway good luck!
    You probably got the same model as your old motherboard. :wink:

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Your chipset must have been closely the same. The best way to keep your OS from going bad when swapping mobo's is to uninstall the chipset drivers. But even after doing so, there is a 50/50 chance that it will work.

SEPTIMUS IS USING A WINDOWER? YOUR GONNA GET BANNED

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So anyway, I had to reinstall windows, after trying to fix the boot.ini and hal.dll files. I did a through scan disk and it found a bunch of bad clusters so it seems it was the hard drive after all. (Which is quite annoying for a hard drive that is less than a year old.)

I am going to buy a new hard drive, am I going to have to reinstall all of the programs that I just reinstalled, or would I be able to ghost the current hard drive onto the new one? Would ghosting be dangerous even though I isolated the corrupted clusters already? (Another 4-hour FFXI update would piss me off.)

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

Re: I hate to say...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMistSkeleton
    Coflsilk from my ls asked about this once, since he got it to work with his old OS load, I told him to reinstall after he wasnt super happy with his bench results, after reload he got about 50% faster. So yeah... it will "work" but it wont get you where you need to go as fast as you could

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    I am going to buy a new hard drive, am I going to have to reinstall all of the programs that I just reinstalled, or would I be able to ghost the current hard drive onto the new one? Would ghosting be dangerous even though I isolated the corrupted clusters already? (Another 4-hour FFXI update would piss me off.)
    If you have a new HDD you'll most likely need to install all apps as it's a fresh copy of Windows with a blank registry. Ghosting wouldn't be dangerous, but all the data might not be intact if you have bad blocks/clusters.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Benadar
    If you have a new HDD you'll most likely need to install all apps as it's a fresh copy of Windows with a blank registry. Ghosting wouldn't be dangerous, but all the data might not be intact if you have bad blocks/clusters.
    Another 4-hour FFXI update...

/cry

(Think it would hurt to ghost the dat files from FFXI after I installed it on the new hard drive?)

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

(Think it would hurt to ghost the dat files from FFXI after I installed it on the new hard drive?)
    nope, I do it all the time
    load ffxi, dont patch it, delete the folder, copy your old one over, ffxi loading the first time will freak, just smack it, force it to check, and boom, your done, everything mostly intact