BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

PC explosions and you, fun together.

Yesterday I was innocently slaughtering gobs in Oldton Movapolis with Zoldof to improve his gear when Norton Anti-Virus gave me an alert about a new threat. I tried to run Live Update (again, I run it everytime I start my computer), but it kept giving me errors. Eventually Norton Anti-Virus shutdown, seeing that as an "oh shit" sign, I finished in Oldtown Movapolis and went back to Jeuno to lot out of the game.

I tried to run Live Update again, this time the whole Norton system failed. I have heard that if you have a virus the worst thing you can do is to shutdown your computer, that you should power off. When I restarted my computer, I got this error:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing
    or corrupt:
    <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    Please re-install a copy of the above file."

So I tried to use my Windows instillation CD to repair my computer. I ran a checkdisk in the windows recovery utility and I got this error:

"The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

The only things I have DLed onto my computer in the past week are Fraps, windower, and AIM. I did a full virus scan on Saturday morning and nothing was found. Before I format my computer, I wanted to ask people's opinions of this. It sounds like it is a virus (how I got one is beyond me, my computer is set to "paranioa" security), but there is a chance that it is a corrupt hard drive. (Which would also piss me off since this new hard drive is less than a year old.)

If I got a new copy of hal.dll (I could copy it from my work computer), would I be able to log on in safe mode to get files off of my computer, or is it fried? Is there any way to recover from this not involving formatting and starting over? Any help/advice is appriciated.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

any chance you could take your hard drive out and hook it up to another PC to copy whatever files you want ??

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

That just happened to me. I reformated my computer on Sunday (Got a new motherboard. When I first got the motherboard I just reinstalled windows, but it was still laggy/buggy [Couldn't run Windows Update and such]) and was installing FFXI. As I was almost finished with the fucking 3 and a half hour update, my POL DC'd. When I logged back on I kep tgetting a "FFXI failed to update, please reinstall FFXI." In order to install it, you have to unistall it. After uninstalling, I inserted my POL CD and kept getting some error. I restarted my computer, and it gave me the

or corrupt:

I thought when I uninstalled FFXI it deleted the file along with it...so not sure how yours got deleted.

Anyway, I got my windows CD and copied hal.dll onto my HDD. It gave me the error two more times with two different items (Which I copied from the CD onto my HDD). It gave me a new error, which I don't remember what it said because at the time I was really fucking pissed to actually pay attention but it was something along the lines that Windows needed to be reinstalled.

I tried to reinstall windows without having to format, but it couldn't find the ASMS file and it's not possible to copy the file from your CD to your HDD. After about 3 times of trying to reinstall windows and getting tha tsame error, I just installed a second copy onto the same partition. This was enough to atleast log onto windows to be able to back up files before having to completely reformat the HDD.

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa
    any chance you could take your hard drive out and hook it up to another PC to copy whatever files you want ??
    A hard drive needs to have the OS reinstalled everytime it's hooked up to a new motherboard. Considering the fact that he can't reinstall windows as is, it's a lost cause.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Nny
    After about 3 times of trying to reinstall windows and getting tha tsame error, I just installed a second copy onto the same partition. This was enough to atleast log onto windows to be able to back up files before having to completely reformat the HDD.
    How did you install a second copy of Windows to the same partion? I thought you had to completly wipe Windows or copy over it to install it.

BEES OH GOD BEES
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

was installing FFXI. As I was almost finished with the fucking 3 and a half hour update, my POL DC'd. When I logged back on I kep tgetting a "FFXI failed to update, please reinstall FFXI." In order to install it, you have to unistall it. After uninstalling, I inserted my POL CD and kept getting some error. I restarted my computer, and it gave me the

or corrupt:
    Lol. That was the reason I had to format my PC a couple of weeks before x-mas. well... actually: PoL died on update. when starting ffxi got message: wrong version (or w/e) reinstall. so I uninstalled ffxi, and got the question: are you sure you want to completely remove "this" file? and I pressed yes, of course.. I was in a hurry... thing is, I told it to remove all files. = it removed half of System32 along with it.... yay for FFXI!

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

SE is sick sons of bitches. :\

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    How did you install a second copy of Windows to the same partion? I thought you had to completly wipe Windows or copy over it to install it.
    You can install a second version. I -think- the steps are along the lines of (Too lazy to double check):

Restart your computer with the Windows CD. When you get to the first sceen if you want to install windows, repair windows, or exit. choose to install windows. Agree to the statement, and then it'll take you to a screen showing you the partitions of your hard drive. Select the partition that windows is currently installed in. It'll warn you about how this is a bad idea and will create errors (This is only a temporary solution to back up files, don't keep it this way permentantly), say that you still want to. It'll ask for a new directory since there's already a Windows Directory, I just named mine "WINDOWS2". Then it'll go on to install windows.

None of you drivers or anything like that will work, you'll have to reinstall them if you need them.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

SE is sick sons of bitches. :\

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    You can install a second version. I -think- the steps are along the lines of (Too lazy to double check):

Restart your computer with the Windows CD. When you get to the first sceen if you want to install windows, repair windows, or exit. choose to install windows. Agree to the statement, and then it'll take you to a screen showing you the partitions of your hard drive. Select the partition that windows is currently installed in. It'll warn you about how this is a bad idea and will create errors (This is only a temporary solution to back up files, don't keep it this way permentantly), say that you still want to. It'll ask for a new directory since there's already a Windows Directory, I just named mine "WINDOWS2". Then it'll go on to install windows.

None of you drivers or anything like that will work, you'll have to reinstall them if you need them.
    Cool, thanks. The only drivers I really would care about are CD drivers since I am just burning files that I need.

I think I need to get a back-up hard drive or something. This is the second time I have had to reformat in a year. >_<

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa
    A hard drive needs to have the OS reinstalled everytime it's hooked up to a new motherboard. Considering the fact that he can't reinstall windows as is, it's a lost cause.
    I didnt mean hook it up as the primary drive >.>

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I had the exact same thing happen to me last update, I almost threw my computer out the window I was so frustrated. D/Ced while installing update, told me I needed to reinstall, in the process of doing so POL/FFXI deleted half my system32 folder. Internet explorer wouldn't even load lol. I've had to reformat in the past so I keep most extraneous files on seperate drives/partitions, but it was still annoying as all hell.

I think SE does it on purpose, a way to punish those silly enough to quit/uninstall their timetrap of a game...

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Yet another reason WoW > FFXI =P You can download the updates from filefront and the system files arn't located in the same file as windows.

pwnt.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

I wouldn't trust that HDD again. I've seen this problem a fair bit at work and a lot of times when you run the HDD diags it fails.

Septimus, in order to prevent this from happening again (threat of losing your files that is) you should partition your drive and have a C: for all your program files that can be reinstalled should a crash occur, and then a D: (or whatever you want) for all your sensitive personal files that can't be replaced. That way if your C: partition explodes you can format it without worrying about losing anything you can't replace, just put your important stuff on the second partition.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shinigami
    Yet another reason WoW > FFXI =P You can download the updates from filefront and the system files arn't located in the same file as windows.

pwnt.
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...54_F_store.jpg

lol I do wish FFXI did that though =P

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Almaa
    Septimus, in order to prevent this from happening again (threat of losing your files that is) you should partition your drive and have a C: for all your program files that can be reinstalled should a crash occur, and then a D: (or whatever you want) for all your sensitive personal files that can't be replaced. That way if your C: partition explodes you can format it without worrying about losing anything you can't replace, just put your important stuff on the second partition.
    I'm thinking about geting an external USB-type hard drive that I could back up important files periodically.

I've thought about it for a while now, probably should have done it sooner. >_<

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Missing Windows hal.dll file.
    Issue:
    Missing Windows hal.dll file.

Cause:
    The missing or cannot find hal.dll, \windows\system32\hal.dll, or \winnt\system32\hal.dll error message may be experienced on a Microsoft Windows 2000 or Microsoft Windows XP system when the boot.ini becomes corrupted or when a user is attempting to dual boot a computer.

Solution:
    Verify that the computer boot.ini is present and not corrupted

1.[list]Verify the boot.ini file is found on the computer by using a boot diskette or use your Windows CD to get to the MS-DOS "C:\>" prompt.

• From this prompt edit the boot.ini, verify that it is pointing to the correct operating system, and that no anomalies are found within the file. Additional information about editing the boot.ini as well as additional information about its available options can be found on document CH000492. Below is a listing of what to verify.

• If only one operating system is on the computer verify that the boot.ini only has one operating system listed. In some situations an alternate configuration line may be added for the same operating system, leaving the improper line.

• Verify that the "default=" line as well as the operating system line are the same and that they are pointing to the correct operating system.

Verify that the computer has the hal.dll file

• From the MS-DOS "C:\>" prompt quickly determine if your computer has the "hal.dll" file by typing "dir hal.dll /s" at the prompt. If the computer returns a "File not found" message, the hal.dll has been deleted.

• To recover this file boot the Windows operating system CD and choose the option to "restore", "repair", or "recover". This option will prompt you for the Windows installation to use, the administrators password and will allow you to restore the proper file. At the MS-DOS prompt type the below command.

• expand x:\i386\hal.dl_ y:\windows\system32\hal.dll

• In the above example "x" would be the letter of your CD-ROM drive and "y" the letter of the drive your operating system is installed on. If you need to determine the drive letters of your devices type "map".

Reinstall the operating system
    • If the boot.ini is found on the computer and does not appear to be corrupted and/or if the hal.dll file is missing it is recommended that you reinstall your Windows operating system.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

septie, 1st of all I think a congratulations is in order for your promotion to site updater, it was long awaited :wink:

When people talk about having a D: I thought that means a second hard drive (not partition)? I have an external usb drive and in MC it is listed as D:

zigma rocked the thread anyway 8)

When you partition your drive it basically makes your one drive into 2 drives, or however many partitions you make... and gives each partition it's own drive letter. If your drive is unpartitioned, it's pretty much... one partition with a drive letter.

Banned.

BG Level

Galka AIDs.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Revenant2
    zigma rocked the thread anyway 8)
    Best kept secret in tech support:

http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1