+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: You think your hardcore?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

You think your hardcore?

Well, check this guy out ;D I cant stop laughing.

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/782...ngmetal9qh.jpg

I'm wondering why he's in a wheelchair in the first place... probably from crowd surfing

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Dude that is so fucking metal it defies normal measurements of metal. From now on, that level of metalness shall be known as Gimp Metal.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

ROFL!

Best I've ever seen (in person) was a black midget jumping on stage and crotch chopping a security guard at Cannibal Corpse two years back.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I was at a Vital Remains show that happened to have a shitty metalcore band opening and there was a HUGE fight between the core kids and the metal kids.

Also once at an Agalloch show Don Anderson broke his guitar and gave me the bridge <3

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Drenden

Amarok, have you heard the new Bleeding Through album at all?

It sounds very, very different than the shit we've come to know from them. Two obvious changes are the vox, which are that "nu-metal" style of melodic (aka whiny) singing and the keyboards are more used than before.

Thoughts?

Someone just turned me on to E-Town Concrete, antiflag and avenged sevenfold. I'm not sure of any yet, I havent listened enough, but I gotta say that Avenged reminds me of Iced Earth a tad.

EDIT: Ok. I just listened to three mp3's of Antiflag. That's two too many. Why would anyone who knows me give me such shit to listen to. Sorry, I'm just not in to punk beyond the Misfits, which...I as well as many others don't strictly classify as punk anyway.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Alleya
    Dude that is so fucking metal it defies normal measurements of metal. From now on, that level of metalness shall be known as Gimp Metal.
    i lol'ed really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerseyprophet
    Someone just turned me on to E-Town Concrete, antiflag and avenged sevenfold. I'm not sure of any yet, I havent listened enough, but I gotta say that Avenged reminds me of Iced Earth a tad.
    E-town Concrete is definitely worth checking out and they are even better live. Any of Avenged old stuff is good but me personally dont like their newer stuff at all.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

the guys at a Bolt Thrower concer what u expect XD if i was in a wheel chair and went to one id want to do that to >.>
    i wont comment on Avenged cause i think there Scene >.> thats just my opinion
    anti flag owns tho

Love-God among men.
    BG Level

people who fault bands (people) who seize opportunity to further themselves economically are stupid.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by thestalkmore
    people who fault bands (people) who seize opportunity to further themselves economically are stupid.
    I do somewhat agree but many bands will "tone down" or outright change their style to achieve it. At that point, I think it's warrented.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Drenden

Here's my question then;

What do bands like the Misfits, Tool, etc. have that make them so different, and popular DESPITE never really "selling out" (aka, making videos on mtv, radio play, etc.)??

My own personal band is taking a dramatic risk with our own music. It's not like anything else out there, but that may not be a good thing. We could pigeon hole ourselves, and do the straight double bass, muted palm distortion chords and screaming -- have tons of fans locally, and sound like every single other fuckin metal band in the world.

Instead, we have a sound that's unique, but also runs the risk of only a few, dedicated fans locally.

Risk v. reward.

I normally just read the forums but I felt I had to comment on JerseyProphet.
    I am from Jersey too and I know how the scene is here, and I'm friends with many of the more popular bands.
    1. Your band isn't 'unique' at all...there's so many Ghetto-core, Rap/rock, hybrid band bullshits with rapper singers.
    2. It isn't selling out to use double bass, that's just the type of music. And some bands are able to stay in that genre without abusing double bass as well. For example: Every Time I Die.
    3. Screaming doesn't always get the fans in Jersey either you should know that if you go to shows here much. Yes it is very popular, but don't act like you -have- to. There's a band that I'd say is pretty popular nowadays that mostly played in Jersey and did the opposite of screaming...Coheed and Cambria.
    4. I don't think your band is very good or original at all...lol you wanna be unique with a name like that...and you sound like a slow watered down Bury Your Dead.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by thestalkmore
    I don't hate them as people, I can understand why they would do it. But as a band it sucks, especially when they change their sound so drasticallly, to me it's the same feeling as hearing your favorite band broke up cause you aren't going to get anymore of that old sound now.

I know this is not going to be metal enough for the other people in this thread, but I used to really like Our Lady Peace. On their fifth album, they hired Bob Rock (a pop producer, famous mostly for his work with metalica Load and thereafter) and it went completely to shit. The lead Guitar player (main music writer) hated him so much he left.

My friends and I actually went to the first show after this went down and after the disk came out. We all made shirts that seemed like really posative OLP shirts on the front, and said shit like Bob Rock sucks or Gravity(album name) Sucks on the back.

Anyway a one of my friends actually ran into the lead singer and the drummer after the show, and he asked him to sign his shirt. He turned around and Raine(singer) was like I saw you guys, whats this all about. And he was actaully pretty receptive to criticism and still signed the shirt, but the drummer got all pissed at my friend and snaped at him before walking away.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jerseyprophet
    Here's my question then;

What do bands like the Misfits, Tool, etc. have that make them so different, and popular DESPITE never really "selling out" (aka, making videos on mtv, radio play, etc.)??

My own personal band is taking a dramatic risk with our own music. It's not like anything else out there, but that may not be a good thing. We could pigeon hole ourselves, and do the straight double bass, muted palm distortion chords and screaming -- have tons of fans locally, and sound like every single other fuckin metal band in the world.

Instead, we have a sound that's unique, but also runs the risk of only a few, dedicated fans locally.

Risk v. reward.
    It's called good publicity.

Tool? Yeah, they're huge - that's because it appeals to wide audiences of people, as well as being a modern contemporary to pink floyd and all that stuff.

Think about Opeth, who are a fucking great band, but there are just as many great bands out there doing shit just as awesome, and or even more awesome then the famous bands. You need a certain amount of publicity to make it happen. I'm not a pro at that, but you find something that people like, latch onto it, and hope 80 other bands don't copy you so you stay unique sounding.

Like, uhhhh. In Flames had it pretty good for a while, but then a shitload of other bands came in, copied their guitar sound and riff style, and made it big. THEN a couple of bands did that with emo/screamo vocals and THEY made it big. Then everyone copied THAT (cue shitload of stupid ass bands nobody with good taste likes/cares about/etc).

Pretty soon someone will come along and maybe put a clean female vocalist in front of nu-punk-melody metal (radio metal) and make it big, and then they'll have copycat bands.

Kind of like how it was unique to have a dj doing scratch stuff in the middle of a pop rock song, but then everyone started doing that too.

Good luck

Old Merits
    BG Level

lol In Flames partially changed their sound post Jester Race... they didn't originate that Gothenburg shit really... At the Gates did "Slaughter of the Soul" and pioneered that sound before In Flames did.. but meh they are both from the same country and have somewhat similar sounds even though I always liked In Flames better.. and funny they were the ones that actually lasted.

It sucks so many bands cop that sound now.. it is fucking lame. I would like to see more varied influences, even if they are metal. I wish Carcass still fucking existed (Heartwork period) and that Cryptopsy didn't suck after None so Vile. In the end nothing is original and unique. I little to no faith that something will come out that makes me care. The new Opeth CD was even underwhelming.. and that says a lot since I love Opeth lol. Metal definitely has stagnated.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Drenden

3. Screaming doesn't always get the fans in Jersey either you should know that if you go to shows here much. Yes it is very popular, but don't act like you -have- to. There's a band that I'd say is pretty popular nowadays that mostly played in Jersey and did the opposite of screaming...Coheed and Cambria.

I should know that if I go to shows? Nope, I dont "go" to the shows. You do. I play them. Now, pettiness aside. I'm well aware of the scenes here in Jersey. Not only from my own band (which just played the House of Blues, wish you came), but from my cousin's SGR (warped tour, 3 years running). I appreciate your opinion, and Bury Your Dead is a great thing to be comparred to. Before you tear someone down, remember, it's always easier to judge than play.

I just said that WE chose not to sound like far too many of the bands we love, to be different. I didn't down those bands. If you read a single post of mine lately, I've named off some of the greatest metal and core bands in the scene today as likes of my own. Don't act like I'm shittin on the genre because I said that we didnt go that route. I'm sure you're too clueless to realize that the picture in my signature is one of the single greatest talents to come from NJ, or core period, The Dillinger Escape Plan (which are possibly the most aggressive band you could name).
    But it's cool, I know you're not on that level yet. They don't play bands like Pilgrimz, Third Eye Machine, Torid North, Carcariass, Diecast, Hanzel und Gretyl, Pro-Pain and Flaw on 94.1 WYSP.

lol how could I not know of Dillinger, are you retarded? And my whole post wasn't bringing down your band, only the end was. I was just commenting on how you saying you can't get fans any other way. And the whole "I don't go, I play in them" made you look stupid, cause obviously you need to go to others, even just to see what other bands do. I didn't say your band was horrible either.

I did say that you weren't very good or original because that's what you're striving so much to be. And it's for good reason. That 1st song you have on myspace, the beginning of it sounds like shit, I don't know what that's all about. And you took the Bury Your Dead comparison wrong lol I meant it's like you're trying to sound like them but failing. Ever hear of Jabsco Project? How about Starting to Wonder? These are my friends. I'm not sure if you know Away From it All or not. And which instrument do you play in your band since you think you're so high and mighty? lol if you're the rapper I might slap you.

Edit: I personally like 89.5 Seton Hall radio, if I ever do listen to the radio.

Edit2: Before you start crying again, I wanna say don't take the criticism too hard, seeing as it's on myspace and maybe you didn't record it well, you could be good live. But I am judging on what I hear on myspace so if you sound just like that, then yea. Some of it is decent, but it just needs something, I don't know what really. Something to spice it up, because it kinda drones on after a bit which is what is turning me off. Maybe make it faster, or at least part of it faster. Doesn't sound good with the guitar/drums/vocals all going same slow pace.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Drenden

If you had come off that way, I wouldnt have been such an asshole in return.

We're both from dirty jerzee. I say fuck the internet bullshit, and let me buy you a car bomb at a show at the troc. What do ya say?

The major problem with Myspace is that they convert mp3s to a shitty quality.

I'm not bein a dick, I'm bein sincere. Your original post put me on the defensive because it came off as antagonistic, which I didn't want. Either way, let me know whats up. Isn't fear factory coming to Philly soon?

And which instrument do you play in your band since you think you're so high and mighty? lol if you're the rapper I might slap you.
    Drummer. http://www.myspace.com/jerseyprophet <- pics of the drum kit, with a whole section dedicated to double bass. I play double bass on several of the tracks, just not in the traditional, steady 4/4 time.

I don't know where in Jersey you live, but if it's south, come out to this. I'll smoke you out or buy you a brew, whichever is your style. You're not straight edge are you?

http://www.greyskiedstudios.com/22506%20ad%201.jpg

Im getting drunk on this shit called 3sum, but I'm not sure if it's a buzz or just my heart palpitating from the fuckin sugar in this crap. I'm gonna go roll a blunt.

I'm from Northeast Jersey, but imma see if I can get off work and show up at that show. And yeah that was my point on myspace, couple of my friend put their music on there and I'm like god damn I wish everyone would go back to purevolume lol Not great but better than gay ass myspace. And I don't do drugs (not for any reason sides seeing a family member get caught up in that shiiiit) but boy do I drink. haha. I was gonna say the parts I liked in any of the songs was the drums, and that guitar solo was unexpected in that 4th song.

P.s. Fuck straight edge losers...and the XXX fags lol they're like plagueing jersey.

God damn that's alot of pics...lol nice drum set. and your wife is hot