Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing questions     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Demosthenes11

Fishing questions

So I was trying to break a mithran fishing rod because its the last item I need for my opo opo crown (havnt bought anything). During this time, I have just about fallen in love with fishing :3

I started at 0 skill level and friend told me to go on the ferry and use sabiki rig. He said that if a tuna caught my rod, it would break it. 2 hours later, I have 2.5 skill and have reeled in 2 gugru tuna lol.

A few questions:

If I was to start fishing, where would I go to find a detailed guide on how to level it/with what rod/with what bait.
    I was told I would NEED a lu shang's at about 50, is this true?
    Is fishing even worth the time in the end?
    And how the fuck do I break a mithran rod?

Thanks

composite/mithra with insect balls at port wind/sand fishing up moat carp till like lvl10 i think... 10-21 east ron. fly lure for cheval salmon & shinning trout... im at work now so i dont have the sites but im sure you can find useful ones through google or other forums...

edit: lol i just found out i didnt answer your questions... hmmm
    more like LV 55 basically lowers the chance of "fish too small" msg.
    its hard to break... research a bit online... im sure you'll find the fishing zone to break mit. rod. I'm assuming the mhaura ship.

http://www.lisaarndt.com/phpBB2/index.php

All you'll ever need to know about fishing.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

And how the fuck do I break a mithran rod?
    It's waaaay harder to break rods now than it was in the past. Reeling in a fish at over, say 10% remaining stamina only breaks your line these days and not your rod. To break a rod you have to basically defeat the fish to nothing then pull it in.

Mithran rods break on heavy items like rusty greatswords and coral fragments though, so try Sea Serpent Grotto with Crayfish Paste (don't burn shrimp lures on that, the money losses mount tremendously). You'll catch the odd nebimonite maybe (skill cap 27 so not easy at level 3 fishing) and it will take time, but it takes less time to fight down items than tuna, which struggle like mad.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

All the cool kids go to

http://www.titanictus.com

There a good guide here about fishing

http://www.titanictus.com/viewtopic.php?t=752

As for breaking mithran, it's a fairly strong rod but alot of fish can break it. As said earlier in the post, you have to kill the fish to break rods now so it's alot harder.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Lu Shang's not necessary. I stopped at 65 on the old fishing system without ever touching a lu shangs (No fag botting)... I could catch black sole and gigant squid fine, BUT, with Lu Shang's, you can never get a too small message, so you're profit per hour greatly increases.

As far as profit, fishing is best coupled with either Alchemy or Cooking. In this market, Cooking is the better of the two. Make sushi until your heart is content. If you already have alchemy leveled, the price of black ink on the AH is pretty high now, so synthing Nebimobites into black ink isn't too bad.

Have fun, fishing is extremely relaxing, especially if you have someone to fish with.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You greatly underestimate lushang. It's about the same as doing dynamis with everyone being level 65 compaired to level 75. It can be done at 65 but you may as well get 75 and make it alot easier.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

my problem with fishing is nothing is skilling me up anymore.

I used to fish with the old system, and within 2 weeks I had it to lvl30.

I test out the new system, hoursssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss pass and I get nothing, then a .3 on one fish. .3 in 3 days of fishing nonstop, i tried all sorts of baits/sinkers/rods, first trying out what was consistently skilling me, etc.

New fishing system is fucking retarded. My lvl95 fishing friend , standing side by side with me, yet I was out-fishing him in bluetails, he caught 5, and I caught 7 by the time he caught those 5. It's so stupid. Oh yeah, despite the fact I have 30 fishing, I was catching Silver Sharks on the ferry (caps at 76!!).

Fishing is silly.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It's kinda funny cause everyone rants on fishing when theres an update about it but like... Fishing has a ton of problems like anything else in the game. Except SE isn't willing to fix any of it, so we get all these fancy shit that don't address any of the real problems. My biggest gripe is that it's so easy for low level fishers to catch high level fish, which high level fishers arn't given any sort of advantage (all of the fish are just as hard, except they have slight DoT (ooh wow so nice )).

So instead of being able to catch fish based on your skill it's just based on reaction time alone (which is pretty gay). Yeah and skill up is pretty retarded too.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

And yet fishing remains the only craft which is profitable every step of the way, from 0-100.

It's gay, and it is very very very slow, but it's some of the best long-term money the game has to offer.