+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I was at the Seahawks-Panthers game yesterday, and I've never (in person) seen a team so completely dominate another NFL team. A good NFL team at that. It wasn't even as close as the 34-14 score might indicate. One touchdown was on a kickoff return, the other was in garbage time. The Panther offense could do nothing against the Seahawks D. You can complain all you want about the Panthers' 4th string RB, but they schooled the Bears last week with effectively the same lineup. And until last week, everyone said the Bears had the best D in the league.

The Seahawks shut down Steve Smith, which general consensus says is the best WR in the league this year. They laid 3 interceptions on Jake Delhomme, who until yesterday had the best postseason QB rating of any quarterback EVER (including Bradshaw, Brady & Montana). The Seahawks offense racked up 400 total yards against the "vaunted Carolina D." Carolina is not a bad team, but the Seahawks certainly made them look like one. I've watched a LOT of football in my 31 years (today's my B-day, actually) and this is a very, very good football team.

Do I think the Steelers have a chance? Of course. Do I think the Seahawks will win? Yes, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. There's a reason the phrase "Any Given Sunday" applies to the NFL. But if you look on any Carolina Panthers board before Sunday, you see a bunch of flag-waving yahoos saying their team was going to win by 30 based on the Seahawks being a weak team with a record that was the product of a soft schedule. Those same fans are now calling for Jake Delhomme's head.
    People who dismiss the Seahawks because they play in the NFC are a bunch of flag-waving, propaganda-believing sheep. You put any team in Seattle yesterday, against that team, that crowd, and they lose. Of course, February 5 is a different day in a different place and may be a different story.

Pittsburgh also looked very good yesterday. Going into a hostile environment against a very good Denver team, they made them look almost as bad as the Seahawks made the Panthers look. Not looking forward to going up against that defense. But the Seahawks O vs. the Panther D is going to be quite a matchup.

My pick? Seahawks by 7. But I wouldn't be shocked to see it go the other way. A blowout either way, however, would surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by Almaa
    The best fans in the NFL are Houston Texans fans that hold season tickets and use them, it takes a strong man to go watch their team lose every weekend.
    You should try being a Browns fan. No sympathy for fans of teams that live in warm weather climates. Although Houston fans do get points for having lost a team recently due to owner greed (see ESPN.com's recent Misery Index).

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by edgarfigaro
    The Steelers just beat 3 of the best four teams in the league to get to the superbowl, and beat them convincingly.
    The Indy win wasn't what I would call convincing.

It'll be a blowout, steelers 45 seahawks -216
    You, sir, are a flag-waving yahoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd
    I was at the Seahawks-Panthers game yesterday, and I've never (in person) seen a team so completely dominate another NFL team. A good NFL team at that. It wasn't even as close as the 34-14 score might indicate. One touchdown was on a kickoff return, the other was in garbage time. The Panther offense could do nothing against the Seahawks D. You can complain all you want about the Panthers' 4th string RB, but they schooled the Bears last week with effectively the same lineup. And until last week, everyone said the Bears had the best D in the league.

The Seahawks shut down Steve Smith, which general consensus says is the best WR in the league this year. They laid 3 interceptions on Jake Delhomme, who until yesterday had the best postseason QB rating of any quarterback EVER (including Bradshaw, Brady & Montana). The Seahawks offense racked up 400 total yards against the "vaunted Carolina D." Carolina is not a bad team, but the Seahawks certainly made them look like one. I've watched a LOT of football in my 31 years (today's my B-day, actually) and this is a very, very good football team.

Do I think the Steelers have a chance? Of course. Do I think the Seahawks will win? Yes, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. There's a reason the phrase "Any Given Sunday" applies to the NFL. But if you look on any Carolina Panthers board before Sunday, you see a bunch of flag-waving yahoos saying their team was going to win by 30 based on the Seahawks being a weak team with a record that was the product of a soft schedule. Those same fans are now calling for Jake Delhomme's head.
    People who dismiss the Seahawks because they play in the NFC are a bunch of flag-waving, propaganda-believing sheep. You put any team in Seattle yesterday, against that team, that crowd, and they lose. Of course, February 5 is a different day in a different place and may be a different story.

Pittsburgh also looked very good yesterday. Going into a hostile environment against a very good Denver team, they made them look almost as bad as the Seahawks made the Panthers look. Not looking forward to going up against that defense. But the Seahawks O vs. the Panther D is going to be quite a matchup.

My pick? Seahawks by 7. But I wouldn't be shocked to see it go the other way. A blowout either way, however, would surprise me.

The best fans in the NFL are Houston Texans fans that hold season tickets and use them, it takes a strong man to go watch their team lose every weekend.
    You should try being a Browns fan. No sympathy for fans of teams that live in warm weather climates. Although Houston fans do get points for having lost a team recently due to owner greed (see ESPN.com's recent Misery Index).
    Ummm if you thought the Panthers had a chance with NICK GOINGS at Running Back, you don't watch football often.
    edgarfigaro wrote:
    The Steelers just beat 3 of the best four teams in the league to get to the superbowl, and beat them convincingly.

Quote:

Did you watch the game? lol Steelers raped them. It shoulda been Steelers winning by 14+ if it wasn't for the horrible referee fuck-up. Not an interception you say Archie? NO PEYTON NEEDS ANOTHER CHANCE. Okay sir... Overruled!

Don't worry, when it comes to Super Bowl Sunday, Seattle will be the team with more points on the board at the end of the game.

Btw, Happy Birthday Byrd.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Anyway
    Ummm if you thought the Panthers had a chance with NICK GOINGS at Running Back, you don't watch football often.
    Hmm.... not only did they beat Chicago with Nick Goings at RB, approx. half the professional prognosticators in the country thought the Panthers would still win. So if I don't watch football very often, neither do Mike Golic, Sean Salsbury, Skip Bayless, Peter King, Joe Theismann... if that's your definition of not watching much football, I guess I'd have to agree with you. Plenty of very intelligent people gave the Panthers a chance, even picked them to win. If you didn't, more power to you.
    edgarfigaro wrote:

Quote:
    Did you watch the game? lol Steelers raped them. It shoulda been Steelers winning by 14+ if it wasn't for the horrible referee fuck-up. Not an interception you say Archie? NO PEYTON NEEDS ANOTHER CHANCE. Okay sir... Overruled!
    I did watch the game. Yes, the referees had an unforgiveable impact on the game. The Colts missed a last second field goal to send the game to overtime. But they did not blow out the Colts in any way shape or form, much less "Rape" them.
    Now that I think about it, beating the Bengals without Carson Palmer hardly qualifies as a "Top 4" win. Without Carson Palmer, the Bengals wouldn't be a playoff team.
    That being said, I certainly do give them credit for beating a very good Broncos team on the road. There is no doubt they are a good team, I think the Seahawks will win. And I'm not much of a homer -- I've been a Seahawk, Mariner, Purdue and OSU Beaver fan for longer than many of the posters on this board have been alive. That has given me plenty of chances to become quite a skeptic (I correctly picked Yankees over M's in 2001 and I've won money in a pool betting on Oregon over Oregon State) . It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Steelers win. However if I were a betting man, I'd put money on the Seahawks plus a field goal.

I'm not a steelers fan by any definition...I just watch football, and can tell the difference between dominating 3 good teams on the road, and dominating a injured team at home. Not to mention the NFC was a pile of dog turds this year...there's a reason that the steelers are favored by 4 points.

If you watch football so much, you might remember in the week leading up to the game, most analysts and many others around the league were picking the Panthers to come into Seattle and win. Also, I'm sure you remember last year Nick Goings, although third string for the panthers, played quite well, and quite often for carolina. Let's look at some stats from last season:

Nick Goings: 821 Yds, 217 Rushing Attempts, 3.8 yards per carry, 6 TD.

Nick Goings also started a measly 8 games last year, and in the 8 he didn't start, he rarely touched the football, getting only 27 of his 217 carries in those 8 games.

I believe those numbers speak for themselves, since you watch football so often, I doubt I really need to compare him to other players in the NFL.

Now im not gonna lie, I didnt pay much attention to the Sea hawks this season and I missed last nights game cause of work. But it should be, IMO a good game, both teams proved their worth in making it to the Super Bowl, our scores were pretty close actually hahah Steelers won over Denver 34-17 and it was a complete raping.(not to sound cocky, it just was) After the first half you could see Denver was takin a beating, Plummer was just getting pissed after each play and thats never a good thing, they gotta keep their cool if you expect to win.

Its gonna be a game of endurance, and smart plays. Like I said I didnt pay much attention the SeaHawks but I do know our Defence is pretty dam good this year, Polamalu can be anywhere on the field he wants pretty much, by far one the most athletic men in the league. And our Offence is fantastic, no turn overs yesterday, Roethlisberger had only 7 Interceptions all season.

I just watched the SeaHawks highlights on Ondemand... just to catch some of the better plays. 3 of the Seahawks touchdowns were from Turnovers, same with Denver, all their points last week for from Turnovers as well. Now looking at this, The game could turn out anyway.

Now im not saying that we arnt going to have any turn overs, but we didnt have many this year. And again im not saying that All of Seahawks scores will be on turn overs, blahblahblah,

LETS WATCH A FUCKIN GREAT FOOTBALL GAME!

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Brendam
    Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    I am so tired of yoonzer-redneck trash walking around this city wearing their Steelers merchandise, that they just bought because 90% of them are fair-weather fans, with some sort of attitude of accomplishment as if they are personally responsible for the Steelers getting to the Super Bowl.

I hate Pittsburgh so much.
    You live in Pitts also?

and fuck no dude, ill go to a game in -45 degree weather and have a blast.
    I hate Pitt too (living in the city, I mean)! But I'm still rooting for the steelers because I might get smashed in the face if I don't.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Someone asked me to describe what being at yesterday's game was like and this was what I came up with...

I have been to a lot of sporting events in my life.
    I was at Oregon State's first win over USC in 40 years.
    I was at the game where Oregon State clinched their first winning season in 32 years.
    I have been to several Oregon-Oregon State football games, including the 2000 game where both teams were in the Top 10 and the Pac-10 title is on the line.
    I was at the Mariner's 116th win in 2001.
    I was at an NBA conference semifinal game in Portland where the Blazers eliminated the Jazz.
    I was at Purdue-Indiana basketball games during the Bobby Knight - Gene Keady era.
    I was at the last Seahawk game in the Kingdome, a 23-16 playoff loss to Miami.

Nothing compares to last night. Nothing.
    My throat is sore, my ears finally stopped ringing.
    When you count on a single hand the number of times you could understand the PA system, you know it's loud.
    When the coach accepting the NFC championship trophy has to shout into Terry Bradshaw's ear to be heard, you know it's loud.
    When you're screaming at the top of your lungs and can't notice a discernible difference in volume when you're not, you know it's loud.

Oh. My. God.

I'm exploring the possibility of spending $3000 and going to the Super Bowl. We'll see.

Someone asked me to describe what being at yesterday's game was like and this was what I came up with...

I have been to a lot of sporting events in my life.
    I was at Oregon State's first win over USC in 40 years.
    I was at the game where Oregon State clinched their first winning season in 32 years.
    I have been to several Oregon-Oregon State football games, including the 2000 game where both teams were in the Top 10 and the Pac-10 title is on the line.
    I was at the Mariner's 116th win in 2001.
    I was at an NBA conference semifinal game in Portland where the Blazers eliminated the Jazz.
    I was at Purdue-Indiana basketball games during the Bobby Knight - Gene Keady era.
    I was at the last Seahawk game in the Kingdome, a 23-16 playoff loss to Miami.

Nothing compares to last night. Nothing.
    My throat is sore, my ears finally stopped ringing.
    When you count on a single hand the number of times you could understand the PA system, you know it's loud.
    When the coach accepting the NFC championship trophy has to shout into Terry Bradshaw's ear to be heard, you know it's loud.
    When you're screaming at the top of your lungs and can't notice a discernible difference in volume when you're not, you know it's loud.

Oh. My. God.

I'm exploring the possibility of spending $3000 and going to the Super Bowl. We'll see.
    Wow, sweet deal man, im glad you had a blast. and yes, I would give my right kidney to go to the superbowl this year, its been 10 long years since Steelers have been in. Bettis last game, is in the Super Bowl, in his home town, hahah couldnt be more perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrick
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendam
    Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    I am so tired of yoonzer-redneck trash walking around this city wearing their Steelers merchandise, that they just bought because 90% of them are fair-weather fans, with some sort of attitude of accomplishment as if they are personally responsible for the Steelers getting to the Super Bowl.

I hate Pittsburgh so much.
    You live in Pitts also?

and fuck no dude, ill go to a game in -45 degree weather and have a blast.
    I live in minnesota but have always loved the steelers since birth, its in my blood, my parents lived in pitt before they moved here and had season tickets, even saw the immaculate reception. i still loved them after that disappointing Neil Odonell and throughout those years of being good, but not good enough.

Plus I live in minnesota with one of the worst teams in NFL existance. It gives me a good damn reason to like anyone BUT the vikings. Although I do cheer for them 2 times a year when they play the packers.
    Yea I remember hearn ya say something about being from Pittsburgh or somethin in LS chat Deme. and I hardly remember that game, except for sitting in my bathroom listening to the radio cause my family was goin nuts and I couldnt hear shit. and the fact that we lost hahahha.

Byrd, outta curiosity, which do you think was louder? The OSU-Oregon game in 2000 or this Seattle-Carolina game on Sunday? Or, hey, if you were at the UW-Miami game in 2000, that was my loudest game.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I'm going with Seatle this year, Steelers want it bad, but Seatle has Shaun Alexander. (Auburn fan so I am a little biast 8) )

Okay so at which point did what Nick Goings did last regular season, matter in the playoffs of this year? He still isn't a good RB who needs to run against a good team, 9/10 times not gonna happen.

You're not understanding at all. When that interception happened, Steelers were up 14, it would've put em around the 30. That's easily another 7 (Up by 21) or another 3 (up by 17 and basically out of reach) But No, America wants Peyton so he got another chance. But when Peyton had to follow through Peyton got owned, like the entire game.

And yes analysts really are correct all the time, huh? Then it also made sense that all 3 games Steelers were underdogs and weren't picked to win?

I agree with the Bengals statement though. Kind of hard to win without your star QB(even though it's not like Kitna wasn't comeback player of the year or anything...). But that's how it is, you gonna play the steelers, you can't be a pussy. Happened to Tom Brady a few years ago if you remember. Then fucking Bledsoe had to be a dickhead...motherfucker.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Okay so at which point did what Nick Goings did last regular season, matter in the playoffs of this year? He still isn't a good RB who needs to run against a good team, 9/10 times not gonna happen.

You're not understanding at all. When that interception happened, Steelers were up 14, it would've put em around the 30. That's easily another 7 (Up by 21) or another 3 (up by 17 and basically out of reach) But No, America wants Peyton so he got another chance. But when Peyton had to follow through Peyton got owned, like the entire game.

And yes analysts really are correct all the time, huh? Then it also made sense that all 3 games Steelers were underdogs and weren't picked to win?

I agree with the Bengals statement though. Kind of hard to win without your star QB(even though it's not like Kitna wasn't comeback player of the year or anything...). But that's how it is, you gonna play the steelers, you can't be a pussy. Happened to Tom Brady a few years ago if you remember. Then fucking Bledsoe had to be a dickhead...motherfucker.
    Yeah I saw the Colts and Steelers play, I was hoping the Colts and the Seahawks would be the super bowl this year but it did not happen that way. Oh and that call in the 4th quarter about the interception was total bullshit, as much as I wanted Colts to win, that was lame. It was one hell of a game though. Defeintly one of the most intresting 4th quaters I have ever seen.

And thats the exact reason you cant rely on just one or two key players.

Seeing as how predicting the future is someewhat difficult, people often look at what a player has done in the past to judge how good they are. The only time we had been able to see nick goings in the NFL, was last year when he did pretty damn good. Its hard to say people expected him to suck, when the only time he had been tested he proved to be very skilled.

If you want to know who is going to win, watch the Late Late Show w/ Craig Ferguson, he predicted the Longhorn victory, the Steelers victory, and the Seahawks victory. The latter two he predicted based on an analysis of their logos, and he was right.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

almaa do you want the steelers or the hawks to win? I wanted my beloved Pats to make it 3 in a row but they imploded this season