+ Reply to Thread
    ٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Switches and ??? in Bastok Metalworks

Has anyone found a use for these? I never noticed it untill today when I accidently highlighted it, right as you enter there's a "Medium switch" - near the blacksmith guild theres "Large switch" and on the Altar there's a ??? , all of these werent there before.

NPC quest or something?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Stop lfp on bst and figure it out yourself .

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

pff I'll lfg for the next 7hours, I know it

I got a temperance axe but still nobody wants to invite the bst /sigh.

Oh well!

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    I got a temperance axe but still nobody wants to invite the bst /sigh.

Oh well!
    Yeah, maybe they want monster gloves?

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

I have those too

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I know .

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

They are believed to be used in a quest called "Bait and Switch" (get it, large switch, medium switch, small switch) started by Salim in the Metalworks.

No one has been able to start this quest, but someone parsed the Metalworks said that there is text that indicates that your NPC Fellow, Luto, and a Taru thief from another NPC quest are all involved in it. He did not say what the reward is for the quest.

Can anyone parse the Metalworks to find out the reward, or are quest rewards a jumble and not associated with the quest? Also, I wonder if there is any NPC text in Bastok Mines since the "Bait and Switch" quest involves a Priest from San d'Oria...

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Can anyone parse the Metalworks to find out the reward, or are quest rewards a jumble and not associated with the quest? Also, I wonder if there is any NPC text in Bastok Mines since the "Bait and Switch" quest involves a Priest from San d'Oria...
    I'm bored at work, parsing it now

Banned.

BG Level

A PLD friend held up my 6-4 group just because he was pretty damn curious about them...

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

SPOLIERS, not very good ones but don't read if you want to stay naive about the quest

ok, for those that have POLTools a little birdie (third party programs are wrong) said that in 42.dat around line 3449 looks like this quest.

I'm not from Bastok so if this is something else let me know, but I swear this HAS to be it....

There is alot of dialogue about a quest heavily involving Salim where it looks like you run around pressing switches inside Bastok. The switches must be pressed 9 times in a certain order that appears random, as different NPC's are shown telling you many different orders to press them. Things like "the medium sized switch shall be pressed second, fourth, and sixth".

There are items involved in the dialogue, but they appear to be used in the quest itself (Bard's Harp, Lead Guardsman's ID, Lucky Charm). Also the NPC's that help you are Luto and Miledo. It talks about a snare and traps that are set in the "Temple of the Goddess" and the point of the quest appears to be deactivating the traps and keeping the NPCs safe. There are a few failure points too, where if you hit the switches wrong one of your NPC gets captured and you have to start over it seems. There are alot of choices along the way like "Use your Harp or let Luto figure this one out?"

wow... this thing has like 400 lines of dialogue literally... the VERY last line is "It looks like Salim has left something here...." -the end

asses >_<

Banned.

BG Level

wow... ;o. I got a feeling this is coming in full effect on the Feb update.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

this will be exciting in a scary way

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Raineer
    SPOLIERS, not very good ones but don't read if you want to stay naive about the quest

ok, for those that have POLTools a little birdie (third party programs are wrong) said that in 42.dat around line 3449 looks like this quest.

I'm not from Bastok so if this is something else let me know, but I swear this HAS to be it....

There is alot of dialogue about a quest heavily involving Salim where it looks like you run around pressing switches inside Bastok. The switches must be pressed 9 times in a certain order that appears random, as different NPC's are shown telling you many different orders to press them. Things like "the medium sized switch shall be pressed second, fourth, and sixth".

There are items involved in the dialogue, but they appear to be used in the quest itself (Bard's Harp, Lead Guardsman's ID, Lucky Charm). Also the NPC's that help you are Luto and Miledo. It talks about a snare and traps that are set in the "Temple of the Goddess" and the point of the quest appears to be deactivating the traps and keeping the NPCs safe. There are a few failure points too, where if you hit the switches wrong one of your NPC gets captured and you have to start over it seems. There are alot of choices along the way like "Use your Harp or let Luto figure this one out?"

wow... this thing has like 400 lines of dialogue literally... the VERY last line is "It looks like Salim has left something here...." -the end

asses >_<
    Wow. That's going to be a pain if everyone unlocks it at the same time, it will be quite laggy. And no clue about the reward?

Could you check Bastok Mines to see if dialouge Luto, Miledo, or NPC Fellow shows up there? (There is a San d'Orian priest staying at the Bat's Head Inn.) There is already a part of another NPC quest that involves the Nicknack shop there.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pyrena Py
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Hopefully you don't have to press them quickly, the wait in line at each switch is going to be long.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pyrena Py
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

What about any dialogue in Jeuno that's related? The quests are started with your NPC or Luto, do they mention Salim in a quest no one has gotten yet?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrena
    What about any dialogue in Jeuno that's related? The quests are started with your NPC or Luto, do they mention Salim in a quest no one has gotten yet?
    I talk to Luto all the time, even after I capped my bond (30 fights per session) she did not say anything about Salim.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pyrena Py
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I mean NPC conversations in the game but no one has seen yet. Like the quest text in Bastok. I'm on PS2 so I don't have much of an idea what I'm talking about, but, you know, that kind of thing.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I just gave a cursory look through the text strings and didn't see anything about Salim. The majority of the text refers to the level capped quests. I will look at it more through the day and Septimus I'll also go through the other zone you asked me about, just haven't had a chance to yet.