Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

honestly...I think there might be 4 new jobs...if you look at the website...the spacing seems to indicate 4 jobs. Maybe I'm crazy though.

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

question is, will people be willing to stray from the status quo of current party and job combinations?

Quote Originally Posted by Daahan
    question is, will people be willing to stray from the status quo of current party and job combinations?
    <war> hey guys, I have war, war, war, war, and rdm, need a brd, anyone want to exp/merits?

<csr> I want to exp, I can be great supporting the party with, erm, my bullets! invite me!

<war> suuure...as long as you go to mh and change to brd first.

Well maybe not that bad, but I am thinking the same, most people go with what works endgame for exp/merits, why settle for a job that you know will not contribute as the ones you are used to can and slow down your exp?

I think its gonna be sweet in that... for the first time we are given new jobs in which we can fully figure out the best way to play with them. I started at PC release so really by the time I got advanced jobs... they already had their place. Not now tho.

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

That's what I'm talking about.

Although we all know there are many flaws to this game, one thing that isn't a flaw, in my opinion at least, is the way an EXP/merit party is set up and work together.

There are 4 traditional kinds of parties we know of.

Normal:
    1 tank (ninja or pld)
    3 attackers (includes both melee, black mages, and occasionally smn...)
    1 healer (can be a rdm, whm, or smn)
    1 support (rdm or brd)

Warrior/Roaming:
    3-4 attackers (some roaming parties use 4 melee and some 3 melee depending on the spot
    1 healer (rdm, whm, and occasionally smn)
    1-2 support (brd or rdm)

Monk parties:
    3 attackers (mnk)
    1 healer (whm)
    2 support (brd and rdm)

Black mage parties:
    5 attackers (blm)
    1 support (brd or rdm)

Obviously all those can be juggled around a little bit, but nevertheless that's pretty much the norm.

All of these setups are flawless IMO. If you can get these parties with well equipped and experienced players, I really don't see any better alternative or how it can be improved. Don't get me wrong by saying the WHOLE aspect of XPing is awesome, that's no true. Things like overcamped xp spots, mob repops, etc. are very messed up in the game, but the way parties are set up are pretty awesome.

I'm really hoping SE will find a way to actually integrate the new jobs so that they can be party of traditional set up and don't produce another, oh lets say drg.

Banned.

BG Level

Maybe we will see
    x5 BLU
    x1 CON
    partys ;o.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

That's what I'm talking about.

Although we all know there are many flaws to this game, one thing that isn't a flaw, in my opinion at least, is the way an EXP/merit party is set up and work together.

There are 4 traditional kinds of parties we know of.

Normal:
    1 tank (ninja or pld)
    3 attackers (includes both melee, black mages, and occasionally smn...)
    1 healer (can be a rdm, whm, or smn)
    1 support (rdm or brd)

Warrior/Roaming:
    3-4 attackers (some roaming parties use 4 melee and some 3 melee depending on the spot
    1 healer (rdm, whm, and occasionally smn)
    1-2 support (brd or rdm)

Monk parties:
    3 attackers (mnk)
    1 healer (whm)
    2 support (brd and rdm)

Black mage parties:
    5 attackers (blm)
    1 support (brd or rdm)

Obviously all those can be juggled around a little bit, but nevertheless that's pretty much the norm.

All of these setups are flawless IMO. If you can get these parties with well equipped and experienced players, I really don't see any better alternative or how it can be improved. Don't get me wrong by saying the WHOLE aspect of XPing is awesome, that's no true. Things like overcamped xp spots, mob repops, etc. are very messed up in the game, but the way parties are set up are pretty awesome.

I'm really hoping SE will find a way to actually integrate the new jobs so that they can be party of traditional set up and don't produce another, oh lets say drg.
    But don't forget what used to be hands down the best party set-up in the game. (Pre-nerf)

Ranger parties:
    4 attackers (RNG/NIN)
    2 support (BRD and RDM)

I don't think that Square ever indended for Ranger, Warrior, Monk, and Black Mage parties to exist. The players came up with a way to exceede the traditional system, and depending on how the new jobs work we may see a whole new type of party.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Black mage parties:
    5 attackers (blm)
    1 support (brd or rdm)
    I did a variation of this party that was
    4 blm
    brd
    smn

It worked out really really well. bard did ballad 1 and 2, pulled, mages killed, then smn did blink and stoneskin.

People are jumping to conclusions way too early, corsair might be awesome, it might be average or it might completely suck. Maybe Corsair/Bard will be awesome or Bard/Corsair. Personally I'll wait before I even come close to classing how good or bad the job is.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I cant imagine anyone subbing brd will ever be awesome. Half level songs suck ass and only being able to put on one song is also gimp.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

And BRD subbing Corsair will also suck, because they most likely will not be able to equip hexaguns (which I assume will be like instruments are to a BRD, and accounts for half a Corsairs job).

Black Belt
    BG Level

there has only been one Advanced Job that is meant to be subbed, NIN. WAR, THF, WHM are the true efficient subs in this game.

everything else is situational, some much much less situational than others.

Corsair and Blue Mage will both most likely fall in the situational category, it's hard to imagine what they will have that would allow them to supplant WAR, THF, WHM, NIN as primary useful subs.

the question is are they good situational subs like RDM, DRK, SMN or bad situational subs like PLD, BRD, DRG.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by layoneil
    there has only been one Advanced Job that is meant to be subbed, NIN. WAR, THF, WHM are the true efficient subs in this game.

Corsair and Blue Mage will both most likely fall in the situational category, it's hard to imagine what they will have that would allow them to supplant WAR, THF, WHM, NIN as primary useful subs.

the question is are they good situational subs like RDM, DRK, SMN or bad situational subs like PLD, BRD, DRG.
    No, just no. You can't paint with a broad brush like that. Although Black Mage may be a bad sub for many jobs, (SMN, I'm looking at you) it is the best sub for Red Mage hands down and very good for White Mage as well. (Not to mention the interesting experiments with NIN/BLM.) Just because only one job can fully utilize a sub job's power it does not mean that it is situational.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

SE intended war to sub drg so they can use 2handed weapons with a 5% haste earring.

Banned.

BG Level

You shouldn't think about limiting sub jobs before they are tested throughly. Don't assume subs suck, because someone is just telling you something you have no idea about.

BRD as a sub sucks because no other job comes close as far as party buffs. If you don't have a BRD, the drop off to a /BRD is so extreme that you're just better off with another /WHM. Now if you already have a job buffing the party (Corsair), some kind of refresh and some kind of attack/accuracy/haste, throwing on a song might not be a bad idea.

Everyone who plays Final Fantasy knows that you tailor your job to do one specific thing very well when you're in a party. You don't go SAM/WHM so you can DD some and heal a little too. You don't go SMN/MNK so you can have carby out while you use your Rune Bags to pwn some shit. You try to fit yourself into a very specific category. No one subs BRD because BRD is the only serious party buff job, so RDM/BRD kinda falls into that SAM/WHM SMN/MNK category. But if Corsair is an honest-to-god party buff job, BRD might be a good sub for it. And vice versa.

I'm more interested in what buffs/debuffs we don't have already covered with BRD. A TP regen song would be nice, 3-5 a tick. Would be great for HNMs. But Madrigal, Minuet, March and Ballad have the other main stats covered. What can a Corsair buff while not being a total clone? I'm interested to find out.

Banned.

BG Level

If Consair is a "FUN" BRD clone, then SE has suceeded in my mind. A gimp BRD that has a B-ish Gun rating = win.

I did a BLM BLM WHM DRG SAM NIN party(Aery Entrance, pre75)... the other BLM decide to sub BRD and we all had refresh body pieces. It was a good idea.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

i'm hoping corsair will get a refresh ability before 37 ^^;;
    i'm getting really tired of being 74BRD/37WHM with 137MP without equip bonuses -_-;; at least if corsair gets a refresh ability (even if it is semi-random amount per tick.. 1-3 would be fine) it would give me a way to do something more to contribute during endgame fights....

this might end up being accademic tho if they do indeed give us a tool-based healer (BRD/CHM ftw! lol)

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by layoneil

That's stupid. Every SJ is situational.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Ilpalazzo
    i'm hoping corsair will get a refresh ability before 37 ^^;;
    i'm getting really tired of being 74BRD/37WHM with 137MP without equip bonuses -_-;; at least if corsair gets a refresh ability (even if it is semi-random amount per tick.. 1-3 would be fine) it would give me a way to do something more to contribute during endgame fights....

this might end up being accademic tho if they do indeed give us a tool-based healer (BRD/CHM ftw! lol)
    Because healing status effects, helping with light cures, and personal stoneskin are not helpful?