Thread: MP3 players     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

MP3 players

I've had my MiniDisc player for almost four years now and it's really coming to the end of it's lifespan. Say what you want about the format but I love it and am only switching for the convenience of MP3's. Anyway, I was wondering what would be a good MP3 player on the market to get. Obviously I thought of iPod's but I've done some research and there's so many reports of them breaking and having screen problems that I'm seriously put off from getting one.

My main concern is with the sound quality. I set a "benchmark" for quality at MiniDiscs recorded from master CD's via optical which is some serious sound quality on the move. For anyone well versed in this stuff, what would be some good ones to look into and get bearing that in mind?

Mp3s in general have bad sound quality, because to compress to that small size, it rips a lot of things "humans cant hear" out of the file, but you really do notice a difference.

Relialibity, I would say iPod shuffle. Mine survived T in The park, dropped in the bath, and been in the wash and it still works perfectly, also the battery life is amazing, I charged for 3 hours and it lasted 2 days. The con is you can't select your song. I would advise against one that's touch sensitive etc as they tend to get damaged in your pocket.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by realraiko
    Mp3s in general have bad sound quality, because to compress to that small size, it rips a lot of things "humans cant hear" out of the file, but you really do notice a difference.

Relialibity, I would say iPod shuffle. Mine survived T in The park, dropped in the bath, and been in the wash and it still works perfectly, also the battery life is amazing, I charged for 3 hours and it lasted 2 days. The con is you can't select your song. I would advise against one that's touch sensitive etc as they tend to get damaged in your pocket.
    You live around Boston?

iPods suck not only for the reasons you listed, but mostly because of iTunes, man that shit is retarded.

Sound quality wise, the best MP3 player I've had was Creative Lab's Zen Micro, awesome quality and volume, good interface and easy to use. Only problem was the earphones plug, they broke on me a couple times (and I mean where you plug them IN, so all the earphones were fucked). Despite that though, I haven't been able to find a better one sound wise, and they might've fixed that problem by now too. I'm just using my PSP atm, I also have a M:robe, which is good (cause it didn't break the whole 3 months I used it) but the volume will never be up to the Zen's standard, and getting music on it was much like using iTunes, although slightly easier it was pretty hard to find new songs when you uploaded them.

That's about all I can say, random Sony MP3 Players are also good, my friends have a few and they're great, sound is good (not Zen but meh) and they work.

If Zen have fixed the earplug problem though I'd probably get one of those, although it may have been just me...

Forum Donator
    BG Level

Say what you want, but I am a big fan of the Archos Gmini 402.

http://www.archos.com/products/pc_ce...global&lang=en

New Merits
    BG Level

Definitely not iPod, I can tell you that. 3 people I know (myself included) have had them break.

My friend has something from Creative, I'll talk to him later today and let you know over AIM, ok Russta? ;o

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quote Originally Posted by Chumm
    Definitely not iPod, I can tell you that. 3 people I know (myself included) have had them break.
    Me too, that makes 4. Mine just stopped working for no reason at all.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

meh, I have 2 iPods, and neither of them have broken, and the first one is quite old. I have a first generation iPod that I used when I used to ride the city bus mon-fri and it survived quite a few ordeals. Now I just keep it hooked up to my main home stereo at all times, and use my new iPod for traveling.

Can't say I've had any problum with either of them really, and I used the first one on a day in/out basis. I'd have to attribute any hatred simpy to the popularity of the thing.

as for sound quality, iTunes actually now encodes songs to MP4 which being smaller files I'm guessing is even WORSE quality than a normal MP3. It dosen't bother me all that much because I virtually never listen to uncompressed music anymore and I'm losing my edge, but when played back to back with the actual disk, it's pretty noticable.

EDIT: hmm mabye the smaller size of the newer models has sacrificed durability... my newer model is actually very new, but my 1st gen iPod was a rock.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rui Seiken
    FFXIV Server
    Jenova
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

ive had my ipod for like 3 years now and it still works lol.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Avvesione
    My friend has something from Creative, I'll talk to him later today and let you know over AIM, ok Russta? ;o
    creative nomad? I heard good things about that one. It's also pretty slick and cool looking.

I would not get an ipod because if you're like most of us (Download our music LOL) then you wanna stay away from anything itunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigma
    creative nomad? I heard good things about that one. It's also pretty slick and cool looking.
    Yeah, it had pretty good quality on the .MPGs we watched in German class (the GI Joe spoof things) and we listened to some MP3s and I was thinking about buying one.

I might later, but it was for like $300 and I'm buying a new computer other things when I get outta high school. Anyway, if I absoultely needed portable music (which I don't right now) then I'd get that Creative nomad.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    Sound quality wise, the best MP3 player I've had was Creative Lab's Zen Micro, awesome quality and volume, good interface and easy to use. Only problem was the earphones plug, they broke on me a couple times (and I mean where you plug them IN, so all the earphones were fucked).
    After reading this I had a check around some of Amazon's reviews and found this;

"On the original 5GB version there was a issue with the jack socket for the headphones but Creative resolved this problem when they released the 6BG model."

Think my mind is quite set but keep posting the opinions, they've all been helpful so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Russta
    Sound quality wise, the best MP3 player I've had was Creative Lab's Zen Micro, awesome quality and volume, good interface and easy to use. Only problem was the earphones plug, they broke on me a couple times (and I mean where you plug them IN, so all the earphones were fucked).
    After reading this I had a check around some of Amazon's reviews and found this;

"On the original 5GB version there was a issue with the jack socket for the headphones but Creative resolved this problem when they released the 6BG model."

Think my mind is quite set but keep posting the opinions, they've all been helpful so far.
    Good to hear they've fixed it, glad it wasn't just me (people kept telling me I'm bad mp3 player luck to have broken 2 of them)...

For someone who has over 24,000 mp3s, it's pretty surprising that I hate mp3 players. I think they are very counter-intuitive, especially iTunes + iPod. I would kill for a large mp3 player that sorts music by folders rather than id3 tags, I am anal about my collection and I have everything in folders by genre/artist/album and a strict naming convention and proper id3 tags, but when I put stuff on an iPod, everything is in one spot, every artist, I have to scroll through hundreds of artists to find the one I want, and it's not really organized well at all. I mean, how many casual downloaders are anal and fix id3 tags and naming conventions and shit. None, so it's a stupid system. I got an iPod to use in my car so I wouldn't have to have a million cds, I used it for about a week and just went back to cds.

Anyway, I've heard good things about Nomad also, and they are slick looking too, don't know how it sorts mp3s. That's my biggest problem with mp3 players.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rui Seiken
    FFXIV Server
    Jenova
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I would not get an ipod because if you're like most of us (Download our music LOL) then you wanna stay away from anything itunes.
    ephpod ftw

Quote Originally Posted by Milks

ephpod ftw
    ??

ephtunes ftl???

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rui Seiken
    FFXIV Server
    Jenova
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Milks

ephpod ftw
    ??

ephtunes ftl???
    http://www.ephpod.com/

just saying, i use ephpod for my ipod, it works well, and i've never paid for any music i have

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Almaa
    For someone who has over 24,000 mp3s, it's pretty surprising that I hate mp3 players. I think they are very counter-intuitive, especially iTunes + iPod. I would kill for a large mp3 player that sorts music by folders rather than id3 tags, I am anal about my collection and I have everything in folders by genre/artist/album and a strict naming convention and proper id3 tags, but when I put stuff on an iPod, everything is in one spot, every artist, I have to scroll through hundreds of artists to find the one I want, and it's not really organized well at all. I mean, how many casual downloaders are anal and fix id3 tags and naming conventions and shit. None, so it's a stupid system. I got an iPod to use in my car so I wouldn't have to have a million cds, I used it for about a week and just went back to cds.

Anyway, I've heard good things about Nomad also, and they are slick looking too, don't know how it sorts mp3s. That's my biggest problem with mp3 players.
    I don't understand this at all. iTunes has a genre catagory. I'm looking at my iPod right now (old one) and you can definatly go into Genre, which then takes you to an artist list.

iTunes is basically built around sorting music into folders for you, I have no idea where you are coming from. And I've never had trouble putting downloaded songs into iTunes either, I'm pretty confused by 80% of posts in this topic reguarding iTunes/iPod, do you guys actually have them?

Not MY personal genre folders, it's sorted by id3 genres which has probably a hundred+ available, I have my music organized into folders made by me, that's my personal preference, I don't want my music sorted by id3 tags.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast