+ Reply to Thread

Speed A Go-Go! (GOOD LAWRD)

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question372.htm

OC192 - 9.6 gigabits per second (4 OC48s)

^
    ^
    ^
    ^

**I will sell my soul, give both of my nuts, 1 of each organ, and a Gillette Fusion (That Shit is Sick, fucking amazing; 5 Blades + the reverse Blade)**

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Isn't that kind of connection meant to be split amongst hudreds of computers? So I doubt it would go that fast... not to mention, I don't think any household computer can read 9.6g/second and not melt.

I could be wrong, but... yeah...

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Bandwidth != latency, you'd still be bogged down by response from the server you're contacting. You'll get better burst speed on good servers for a few hundred thousand dollars a month. Personal T1s are pretty much the bee's knees until the structure of the internet shifts.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

That didn't even go into the internet backbone or explain how it works. They just pretty much said "its better" and not why. Fail.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

OC-192 has been around for awhile now. Usually, these make up the backbone of major networks, which is pretty much their only application. They are meant to be broken down, not used for dedicated bandwidth. Basically, and OC-192 would be the link between 2 major hubs of activity....like New York and LA.

Even if you had an OC-192 as a dedicated connection, keep in mind that any transfer is as fast as the slowest client involved. For example, if the data you are transferring is coming from a host that is on a T-1, it doesn't matter that you have an OC-192, you will only get a max of 1.54 Mbps, as this is the fastest the T-1 connection can upload the data to you. The only way you would ever reach 9.6 Gbps is if the transfer was over a dedicated physical peice of fiber, of which both the A and Z side are equipped with OC-192 DAC's.

If its the speed that impresses you...hold onto your socks. 9.6 Gbps is nothing compared to the current record of 101 Gbps.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Cleveland
    OC-192 has been around for awhile now. Usually, these make up the backbone of major networks, which is pretty much their only application. They are meant to be broken down, not used for dedicated bandwidth. Basically, and OC-192 would be the link between 2 major hubs of activity....like New York and LA.

Even if you had an OC-192 as a dedicated connection, keep in mind that any transfer is as fast as the slowest client involved. For example, if the data you are transferring is coming from a host that is on a T-1, it doesn't matter that you have an OC-192, you will only get a max of 1.54 Mbps, as this is the fastest the T-1 connection can upload the data to you. The only way you would ever reach 9.6 Gbps is if the transfer was over a dedicated physical peice of fiber, of which both the A and Z side are equipped with OC-192 DAC's.

If its the speed that impresses you...hold onto your socks. 9.6 Gbps is nothing compared to the current record of 101 Gbps.
    All that, plus your network card and processor couldnt handle those speeds, thats your biggest bottleneck right there.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX

All that, plus your network card and processor could handle those speeds, thats your biggest bottleneck right there.
    Exaclty.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Oh snap, I meant couldnt, not could.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I remember reading an article where they are testing to have broadband available through the common electric socket you find in your house.

Tried to find the original press release but all i could find is this.

http://goldismoney.info/forums/showthre ... post136479

Pretty cool if you ask me, but pretty slow

New Merits
    BG Level

there are much faster things than a oc192

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/netspeeds.html

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX

All that, plus your network card and processor couldnt handle those speeds, thats your biggest bottleneck right there.
    10 GB cards are not rare (we use them vast majority of time in the printing world), and you'd be surprised at just how much your PC can really handle.

But yeah, good luck on getting a personal OC-192 :D