BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level

KRT monk Bones PT short guide

I wrote a short guide to monk bones pts in KRT if anybody's interested:

http://genomeffxi.livejournal.com/#entry_2170

Let me know if you think anything is missing or should be changed.
    (The pics of the path are not mine, don't know the source anymore).

Hope it's useful to people.

your sig is pretty funny with the blms & mnk and what not

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by berticus
    your sig is pretty funny with the blms & mnk and what not
    Thx ^^ they don't always get resisted like that of course, especially if people set up a SC and they can MB, but still Kirin is one place where monk does very well because he resists everything else so much. I and other monks end up being unwiling slow-running kiters most times just
    because hate from chi builds up a lot over time, that's why i always sub ninja.
    Anyways, back to the topic

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

4) Red Mage needs to Dispel *BEFORE* monks engage.
    No. Bard needs to not be a retard and pull the blms with Finale, then inform the red mage that they need to dispel if the thing recasts it. Having all the monks stand around for 25 seconds while the red mage gets up, targets, and dispels wastes a ton of time and mp.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Alleya
    4) Red Mage needs to Dispel *BEFORE* monks engage.
    No. Bard needs to not be a retard and pull the blms with Finale, then inform the red mage that they need to dispel if the thing recasts it. Having all the monks stand around for 25 seconds while the red mage gets up, targets, and dispels wastes a ton of time and mp.
    I think we are basically agreeing here, this is what I said:
    Red Mage needs to Dispel *BEFORE* monks engage. This is the most common problem, and the most annoying. Red mages tend to really want to cast silence first and dispel later, after all monks have been paralyzed. This slows down everything, whm brd and rdm now need to cast a lot of paralynas instead of resting mp, singing, etc. Fight lasts much longer and mob spells will go uninterrupted. Sure, bard pulls with finale, but often mobs recast ice spikes as soon as finale hits them, and recast on finale is really long. as soon as there's a mage mob incoming, RDM needs to dispel right away (before it's engaged, and before silence), and silence right after dispel. Not the other way around.
    The difference between great bones pts and not so good ones (in terms of xp/hr etc) for me has often been having a rdm experienced in these PTs who would stand up as soon as he heard bard pulling macro saying a sorcerer or lemures was pulled and started to move in to dispel and then silence just in case. Having monks wait for dispel is undesirable, as we both agree, but the best solution is rdm casting dispel right away as mob is being pulled, so nobody has to wait for anything.
    Your suggestion ("inform the red mage that they need to dispel if the thing recasts it") could also work in theory except in my experience that might annoy the RDM who will then type "I know" or "don't tell me how to play my job" instead of casting dispel lol

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I think that dispelling every lemures and sorcerer as their being pulled is redundant, as most of the time it doesn't recast spikes...

As soon as the BRD pulls with finale, the bone/ghost is going to start casting a spell. If it happens to be icespikes, brd puller says "dispel" and the RDM dispels it as it's running up. MNK's should turn around for the chance that they swing a split second before dispel goes off. Other than that, dispel isn't needed...

Also, we don't silence it unless it's casting a damage spell.

As a side note, the BRD I normally do mnk PT's with prefers RDM sub over WHM sub for the fast cast. Fast Cast + Manteel + Minstrel Ring + Rostrums helps cut down the time singing and keep up on pulls...

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Taku
    I think that dispelling every lemures and sorcerer as their being pulled is redundant, as most of the time it doesn't recast spikes...

As soon as the BRD pulls with finale, the bone/ghost is going to start casting a spell. If it happens to be icespikes, brd puller says "dispel" and the RDM dispels it as it's running up. MNK's should turn around for the chance that they swing a split second before dispel goes off. Other than that, dispel isn't needed...

Also, we don't silence it unless it's casting a damage spell.

As a side note, the BRD I normally do mnk PT's with prefers RDM sub over WHM sub for the fast cast. Fast Cast + Manteel + Minstrel Earring + Rostrums helps cut down the time singing and keep up on pulls...
    You meant ring, right?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Yea, woops! =\

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Thanks, I'll add brd/rdm as option in my guide. /whm helps with paralyna etc but it's only a problem if ice spikes are not dispelled etc hehe (or if dogs do that aoe paralyzega, so annoying and strong).
    I also agree dispel every time is redundant, but since it's a low mp spell I think you're better safe than sorry.

Little Mother
    BG Level

Hey Genome, good guide, and enjoyed reading your LJ. Monk PT's are always good when Genome is in them, just make sure you invite me, don't be a Taru hater =p

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by genome
    Thanks, I'll add brd/rdm as option in my guide. /whm helps with paralyna etc but it's only a problem if ice spikes are not dispelled etc hehe (or if dogs do that aoe paralyzega, so annoying and strong).
    I also agree dispel every time is redundant, but since it's a low mp spell I think you're better safe than sorry.
    brd/rdm would work awesome in almost any kind of party if the bard had the right equips alongside.

rdm sub
    manteel
    loquacious earring
    rostrum pumps.

would take decent chunk out of song casting time. I'm currently working on testing this out

Little Mother
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Daahan
    Quote Originally Posted by genome
    brd/rdm would work awesome in almost any kind of party if the bard had the right equips alongside.

rdm sub
    manteel
    loquacious earring
    rostrum pumps.

would take decent chunk out of song casting time. I'm currently working on testing this out
    Yes I recently partied a BRD/RDM in KRT with RDM sub, Manteel, and Loquacious Earring, and his songs were casting insanely fast (more so than normal). Nothing wrong with BRD/WHM, they still work perfectly fine, but if you have the Fast Cast and maybe the gear for it, BRD/RDM is definantly viable, and very good as well.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

I agree with most of what you wrote though I personally find having a back line of BRD/RDM/RDM much more efficient than BRD/RDM/WHM. We always take that down there and things go a lot smoother if the shit hits the fan. One Red Mage hastes all three Monks and does one person's status effects while the other does the other two Monks status effects freeing up the Bard completely. Only having to rely on refreshing yourself, having the highest form of fast cast and an extra two bars of MP outweighs having Raise III and only Banish II.

Also 2x Minuet is stupid - Minuet IV and Victory March all the way.

The only thing I'm not sure on is whether Lemures' or Howling is worse for breaking chains.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Russta
    I agree with most of what you wrote though I personally find having a back line of BRD/RDM/RDM much more efficient than BRD/RDM/WHM. We always take that down there and things go a lot smoother if the shit hits the fan. One Red Mage hastes all three Monks and does one person's status effects while the other does the other two Monks status effects freeing up the Bard completely. Only having to rely on refreshing yourself, having the highest form of fast cast and an extra two bars of MP outweighs having Raise III and only Banish II.

The only thing I'm not sure on is whether Lemures' or Howling is worse for breaking chains.
    Yeah you have just had some shitty WHMs I presume if you think RDM is better than WHM, because a good WHM is way better than RDM can be in that slot.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Dispel is 25 MP man... not to mention a lot of RDM's have cycles that they follow to accommodate the recast/duration of refresh and haste. Having to dispel every other mob(atleast half are sorcerers or ghosts, right?) when probably only 10% of them are necessary would annoy me as a RDM more than having someone to "tell me how to do my job."

Assuming there's 70 mobs, and half are bones/ghosts, and only 10% are going to recast spikes, that's roughly 775 MP wasted per run. Not to mention the RDM would have to break clear mind to get up and cast dispel on every other pull.

And don't forget Minstral ring for all BRD's! It's seriously one of their most useful pieces of EQ.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk

Yeah you have just had some shitty WHMs I presume if you think RDM is better than WHM, because a good WHM is way better than RDM can be in that slot.
    No, that's not the case at all. Infact one of the Red Mages I take down there has White Mage at 75 and we make him go Red Mage instead. I have White Mage at 75 and still think Red Mage is better. I don't expect everyone to agree (especially not a White Mage) as it's probably just a preference thing.

Little Mother
    BG Level

I agree that Minuet + March is better (You don't need 2x Minuet if you're eating meat, YOU ARE EATING MEAT IN KRT ARENT YOU....)

But I don't know about BRD/RDM/RDM, I've tried it a couple of times and maybe it was the skill of the rdms that was lackluster and made me not like it, but I've always had better experience and the highest chains on BRD/RDM/WHM. I think BRD/RDM/RDM could work though as long as one RDM was good on landing the Banish. Either works for me.

And I think Howling is the worst chain raper.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I will have to give the 2 rdm another try i guess Russta.
    For Minuet & March vs Minuet + Minuet I think it depends a bit on what monks you have in PT and what food they are eating
    Sometimes you get monks a bit gimped out in the equip and merits department, and actually it's good that they eat sushi just so they don't miss too much. It also depends on how much STR+ they are wearing since atk+ and str+ seem to sorta cap each other. I will have to try more Minuet and March, but if monks are eating sushi and wearing harness and things like low damage visnu claws their damage will be pretty low.

Do you have a feel on how those song choices compare on overall damage per hr? I know haste is about 13% speed increase, not sure how much march is. I want to add that as an option to the guide once I know more. Also i remember hearing rumors that stacking up haste eventually it caps (I never tested with both my haste gear, haste and march)

Also I agree howling can break chains since it's such a strong paralysis, but that depends a lot on whether mages are in range of it, and that's one advantage of having whm in pt for divine seal + paralyna on the whole pt =P

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

I exp with acc+30, attack+59, haste+20%, double attack+5%, STR+31, DEX+21, crits+10% and h2h skill+6. For food I use Hedgehog Pies and, as mentioned, for songs I have Minuet IV and Victory March. I don't know off hand exactly how much haste March is but I literally don't stop attacking and many times the animation overlaps to keep up. I don't remember all my attack figures but my crits peak around 205 per fist and my highest ever Asura down there is 1353.

I don't really know what the obsession is with Sushi. I can only remember one Monk in the past few months that didn't eat Sushi, it's pretty sad. I do like to say "I win" when both Monks start the first two Hati's off by eating Sushi though because I invariably do. In my last five KRT parties I have out-damaged the second best Monk by an average of an extra 10% damage while only giving up 3-4% accuracy.

I exp with acc+30, attack+59, haste+20%, double attack+5%, STR+31, DEX+21, crits+10% and h2h skill+6. For food I use Hedgehog Pies and, as mentioned, for songs I have Minuet IV and Victory March. I don't know off hand exactly how much haste March is but I literally don't stop attacking and many times the animation overlaps to keep up. I don't remember all my attack figures but my crits peak around 205 per fist and my highest ever Asura down there is 1353.

I don't really know what the obsession is with Sushi. I can only remember one Monk in the past few months that didn't eat Sushi, it's pretty sad. I do like to say "I win" when both Monks start the first two Hati's off by eating Sushi though because I invariably do. In my last five KRT parties I have out-damaged the second best Monk by an average of an extra 10% damage while only giving up 3-4% accuracy.
    Can you describe all your gear and do you have TP and WS macros?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast