+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Muslims Assault U.S. Embassy in Indonesia

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Hundreds of Muslims protesting caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad tried to storm the U.S. Embassy on Sunday, smashing the windows of a guard post but failing to push through the gates. Several people were injured.

Pakistani security forces, meanwhile, sealed off the capital of Islamabad to block a planned mass demonstration and fired tear gas and gunshots to chase off protesters. In Turkey, tens of thousands gathered in Istanbul chanting slogans against Denmark, Israel and the United States.

Protests over the cartoons, which first appeared in a Danish newspaper in September and have been republished in other European publications and elsewhere, have swept across the Muslim world, growing into mass outlets for rage against the West in general, and Israel and the United States in particular.

Christians also have become targets. Pakistani Muslims protesting in the southern city of Sukkur ransacked and burned a church Sunday after hearing accusations that a Christian man had burned pages of the Quran, Islam's holy book.

That incident came a day after Muslims protesting in the Nigerian city of Maiduguri attacked Christians and burned 15 churches in a three-hour rampage that killed at least 15 people. Some 30 other people have died during protests over the cartoons that erupted about three weeks ago.

In Jakarta, about 400 people marched to the heavily fortified U.S. mission in the center of the city, behind a banner reading "We are ready to attack the enemies of the Prophet."

Protesters throwing stones and brandishing wooden staves tried to break through the gates. They set fire to U.S. flags and a poster of President Bush and smashed the windows of a guard outpost before dispersing after a few minutes.

The U.S. Embassy called the attacks deplorable, describing them as acts of "thuggery."

A protest organizer said the West, and particularly the United States, is attacking Islam.

"They want to destroy Islam through the issue of terrorism ... and all those things are engineered by the United States," said Maksuni, who only uses one name.

"We are fighting America fiercely this time," he said. "And we also are fighting Denmark."

In Pakistan, where protests last week left five people dead, police put up roadblocks around Islamabad to keep people from entering the capital for a planned mass protest called by a coalition of six hard-line Islamic parties, the Mutahida Majlis-e-Amal — United Action Forum.

Authorities also detained several lawmakers and Islamic leaders during raids in three cities and announced they would arrest anyone joining a gathering of more than five people to prevent the demonstration.

Opposition leader Maulana Fazlur Rahman, a senior figure in the Islamic coalition, was eventually given permission to lead a small rally through a square in the city center. The protesters chanted "God is great!" and "Any friend of America is a traitor."

But when about 100 other protesters tried to reach the square, officers fired tear gas and at least one gunshot to chase them off. More gunshots were heard later in the city, but it wasn't clear who fired them. At least two policemen were injured, one bleeding from the head. Several demonstrators also were hurt.

A crowd of 700 people, some throwing stones at police, tried to march toward Islamabad's heavily guarded diplomatic enclave about 1.3 miles from the square but with blocked by troops in armored personnel carriers.

Police also blocked about 1,500 protesters from reaching Islamabad from the city of Peshawar by putting shipping containers and sandbags on a bridge along a highway leading to the capital, said Mohammed Iqbal, a key member of the religious alliance.

Elsewhere in Pakistan, about 600 people staged a protest in Chaman, a town near the Afghan border, burning Danish flags and an effigy of the Danish prime minister.

Such protests prompted Denmark on Sunday to temporarily recall its ambassador to Pakistan, Bent Wigotski, because it was impossible for him "to perform his job duties during the present circumstances," the Danish Foreign Ministry said in a statement
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060219/ap_ ... t_drawings

Oh burn, Next time bring a damn car to smash the gates down k?

ALALALALALALALALALALALALA!!!!

derka derka! Muhammad Alla Jihad!

E. Body
    BG Level

religion is so lame...

Quote Originally Posted by Razz
    religion is so lame...
    Don't confuse religion with blind faith.

Edit: By that I mean that these incidents would not only go against the teachings of the Bible, but the Quran as well. Neither side is a good representitive of religion.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

That cartoon was ages ago...

They just cant take a fucking joke... Even the Jewish can take a joke.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

anyone got the link of the cartoon?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Protests over the cartoons, which first appeared in a Danish newspaper in September and have been republished in other European publications and elsewhere, have swept across the Muslim world, growing into mass outlets for rage against the West in general, and Israel and the United States in particular.
    idiots

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mifaco
    idiots
    You will prolly find it was an American cartoonist. Idiot

people are so lame...
    fixed

E. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Axil
    people are so lame...
    fixed
    QFT (even tho I dont know what it stands for)

blax n gunz
    BG Level

"How dare they tie the blessed prohpet Muhammad and blind, searing violence /throwbomb"

Angriest religion ever.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zigma
    anyone got the link of the cartoon?
    http://www.faithfreedom.org/Gallery/28.htm

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

lol how the fuck can they be offended by those cartoons

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

Anyone see the irony in the 4th one from the bottom?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I know it's so fucked up. Some Imams/religious leaders/whatever has even put up rewards of over $20k for killing a danish or norwegian soldier in some of the middle eastern countries.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

I think it's silly.

Ok, get angry over a cartoon (after all it was insulting their religion, putting the prophet's turban as a bomb is implementing the idea that all muslim = terorrist and the religion is teaching it?) I can understand them getting angry, peaceful protest like they did in england last week (I think it was at town square where a ton of ppl sat down in protest of them), but burning buildings/killing people is stupid.

However, alot of the people they show on the media are hicks. They're not people from the city parts of the country, who are more educated. So let's put that into light. Imagine getting all the christian bible thumpin' hicks into a city and someone said "______ country took a shit on your bible" , what would the hicks do?

Either way, being a hick doesnt excuse people for burning buildings.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Aerandir
    I know it's so fucked up. Some Imams/religious leaders/whatever has even put up rewards of over $20k for killing a danish or norwegian soldier in some of the middle eastern countries.
    Oh, i think i've heard of that, but I think it was like a million and not 20k. I could be wrong.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Axil
    people are so lame...
    fixed
    QFT (even tho I dont know what it stands for)
    Quoted For Truth

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... ction=edit
    The more you know™

I think they got even angrier, because in islam they don't have pictures or statues of their prophet and such. So having people try and judge what mohamed looks like might be a lil more offensive. (But i'm sure the bombs and shit didn't help either ;x

Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Hey, Moses and Jesus and Buddha and other religions get made fun of so much, and in such offensive ways (especially Jesus) and yet no one gets so mad to create war over it. You know why?

BECAUSE ITS A FUCKING JOKE, AND IT WOULD BE RETARDED TO.

They're making war over the shittiest cartoons I've ever seen in my life. If Catholics and Jews starting protesting and fighting over offensive humor or drawings towards their icons, well, let's just say there would be war every day.

And that's why these people are incredibly stupid.