+ Reply to Thread
    Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Looking for professional research studies on MMORPGs.

Title says a lot.

I have read "Virtual Economies" by Justin Nash from UPenn, and am interested in reading other professional studies of MMORPGs, especially the psychological effects on their players.

Back in the EverQuest days, I heard about a couple leaving their baby in their car as they went inside to play EQ, and the baby suffocated in the car as they were playing. I have also heard about a man who sold everything he owned to support his EQ addiction, just to pay the monthly game and internet fees, and to feed himself, which eventually lead to his death as well. If anyone remembers what I am talking about, and has a link, please share.

Any links to any senior research thesis or otherwise would be appreciated. I'm looking for scholarly articles and studies on the link between MMORPG addiction and the effects on a person's social and overall mental health.

Serious posts only please. Thank you for your time.

Honestly, the psychological effects of an MMORPG aren't much different then any habitual internet hobby (surfing, message boards, chat). I'm sure a broader range of study would reveal a more rounded analysis.

You can find so much info about this just using Google, it's not even funny.

I like it when Hellboy says funny things.. and I speak from experience here. This was from an old post about ninjas tanking sky gods.

Hellboy on: Ninja tanking in sky gods

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboy
    I like this one better.

(not actual names)
    <Bertchan> ok penisu nin tank the next byakko
    <penisu> ok
    <penisu> 5~
    <byakko> *pop* rwar *tripple attack**Banishfagadaga XIIGWXYZ*
    Penisu was defeated by Byakko.
    <herrboy> ROFLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Elapsed time, 25 seconds.
    although i'd like to argue the 25sec down to roughly 14sec.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbelina
    I like it when Hellboy says funny things.. and I speak from experience here. This was from an old post about ninjas tanking sky gods.

Hellboy on: Ninja tanking in sky gods

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboy
    I like this one better.

(not actual names)
    <Bertchan> ok penisu nin tank the next byakko
    <penisu> ok
    <penisu> 5~
    <byakko> *pop* rwar *tripple attack**Banishfagadaga XIIGWXYZ*
    Penisu was defeated by Byakko.
    <herrboy> ROFLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Elapsed time, 25 seconds.
    although i'd like to argue the 25sec down to roughly 14sec.
    We had a Dark Knight who had the wrong macro for Sneak Attack and Trick Attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydro's Super Macro!
    /ja "Sneak Attack" <me>
    /ma "Trick Attack" <me>
    He'd go to do that on a tank to build massive hate but wonder why he died, literally, in the first 5 seconds.[/quote]

Sea Torques
    BG Level

people spend too much time on the game thus they lose some of the daily drama they go into in real life...thats why they start bringing drama in game and on forums...imho