+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

6 american sea ports gonna be run by the UAE.

Critics say the takeover raises security concerns, noting that two of the hijackers in the September 11, 2001, attacks on New York and Washington came from the UAE and that the hijackers drew funds from bank accounts in Dubai, the financial center of the Persian Gulf.

But a port security expert said security fears are based on "bigotry" against Arabs.
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/02/21/ ... index.html

I wish i was living in the west coast right about now.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooolllllllllll

?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooolllllllllll

?

I don't think you understand how bad this can be on national security.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I think the biggest mistake people are making with this is focusing on the fact that Bush wants a UAE company to take over the ports. I think the real problem is that it is a non-US company.

A British company is currently running those ports; I have a huge issue with that.

From everything I have read the reason the ports are being run by non-american companies is beacuse there are no american companies qualified to to run the ports. Since we don't have the resources available to run them from within the country we have to look to the global market to hire.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Niobe
    From everything I have read the reason the ports are being run by non-american companies is beacuse there are no american companies qualified to to run the ports. Since we don't have the resources available to run them from within the country we have to look to the global market to hire.
    I have trouble believing that there is not a single company (including Halliburton which runs pretty much everything else) that can run our ports. Beyond that, should it not be the Federal Government's job to run the ports considering the huge gaping holes in National Security that the ports pose.

NBC was able to send Depleted Uranium through the port system on two occasions. It is as detectable as enriched Uranium, which would be used in bomb making. There is something very wrong with this.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I don't have any issues letting the british run the ports because there hasn't been any ground breaking terrorist threats coming from that country. This sadly can't be said about the middle east.

I'm not a racist or whatever when it comes to uae/the middle east and I do have a lot of friends from there but letting them take control over these ports can open up a huge back door into this country.

UAE is taking over America!
    loooooooooooool

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bunshinagain
    UAE is taking over America!
    loooooooooooool
    Better get ready to fight with the Mexicans, first.

Tacos Ready!
    lol jk no offense XD

Isn't Houston's port the 6th? I live in Houston

come on, its not like UAE is gona bomb you lol.
    Get the terrorist shit out of your head..

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Yeah, I was reading about this yesturday. I thought it was particularly funny that bush said he'd veto any effort to derail the contract.

I personally feel that regulation of this sort should be left to our own government, and not outsourced to a foreign nation, regardless of the country.

This is like having a stranger guard your bag of money. "Hey dude, I don't know you, but you think you could do me a favor and watch this bag with a million bucks in it while I run to the bathroom and take a piss? Thanks buddy."

Not a good idea.

Yay, this means more business for Morehead City and Wilmington NC!!!

I don't like the idea of ANY non-US country controlling our ports. British, French, Chinese, UAE, doesn't matter. We're getting waaayy too friendly with the international community in that regard... Believe it or not, everyone in this country and other countries is human, with our own personal motives and ideals, and some of these companies based in state-run countries could be overtaken by their governments and used to attack the US when we least expect it, have our guard down and "trust" them. I don't exactly see the US Coast Guard as a force to be reckoned with. "OH NOZ THE COAST GUARD RUN~" If a bunch of Mexicans/Cubans can get by them then they can't do shiat.

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    NBC was able to send Depleted Uranium through the port system on two occasions. It is as detectable as enriched Uranium, which would be used in bomb making. There is something very wrong with this.
    Go Bush Administration/Patriot Act/increased security crap. I'm sure this whole UAE takeover thing is being eaten up by the conspiracy theorists ("Bush is for them taking over our ports so one day we'll be attacked by a UAE group via the ports, possibly hired by our own government, and Bush is all for terrorism because it makes us afraid and he wants more laws to strip our freedoms away!") People suck.

lol at my first real post being this crap

New Merits
    BG Level

Bush, who has yet to veto a bill, warned Tuesday that the United States is sending "mixed signals" by attacking a Middle Eastern company after a British firm ran the ports for several years.

Lawmakers who have called for the deal to be blocked need to "step up and explain why a Middle Eastern company is held to a different standard," he said.
    I actually agree with Bush.... My whole world has just been turned upsidefuckingdown.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Hey zigma...

i believe you're from a latino background...correct?

let me put it this way...

if i hear on the news that a crazy hispanic person killed many people and he was labeled a "crazy mexican serial killer"...

do you think i should kick all hispanics people from my country and stop international busniess relations with any south american country just because of our friend mentioned above?

NO!

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Kinda like when America put Japanese-American citizens in camps after Pearl Harbor?

One of the things I love most in life is when we lump one thing together no matter what it is. I love it when people automatically assume/accuse or otherwise blame an entire group of people for one thing. Like how the blacks are solely responsible for the drug problem in America or how those dirty Mexicans are solely responsible for taking all the jobs on the West coast.

Does the UAE taking over the operation of these ports affect national security? Nope. If it does we have better fire every person of Middle Eastern background from any job that might give them the ability to do something nasty. Better yet, lets round them up and put them into work camps where they can be supervised. Hmm... sounds familiar.

I know this is a little extreme but the actions of the crazy few should not reflect that society. Things are a little crazy right now because of cartoon non-sense and other factors but again its the fundamentalists (or brainwashed).

Besides all that, its only a matter of time before we piss off the British or some other country that runs a port and we end up bombing the hell out of them.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Didn't UAE company buy the previous owner's stock or something like that, making it basically new management yet still same company?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast