BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Faranim
    RDM/WAR can level parrying pretty quickly up to 200ish in Boyahda. Just load up on Terra Staff, Defense Food, Defender, Phalanx, Stoneskin, and tank 8-12 Mandragoras at the same time:

http://simozene.livejournal.com/23193.html
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...ndy_attack.jpg
    Wowsers...

My parrying is 160, I need to try that out sometime. (I just got a jelly ring for even more damage reduction goodness...)

LMAO, that looks funny, I should try it, my parry is still really low. The EP bugbears in Newton are monks and should work as well, but you'd never get as many of them at once.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

RDM/WAR can level parrying pretty quickly up to 200ish in Boyahda. Just load up on Terra Staff, Defense Food, Defender, Phalanx, Stoneskin, and tank 8-12 Mandragoras at the same time:

I did this as a combo of parry+shield. Used Verdun and Genbus (Genbus actually much much much more survivability than Terra's Staff)

Once you get past 6-7 mandies, you will stay 98% locked in shield-block position. I went from 159 to 172 shield in like... 4 hours doing this. I got 3.0 parrying during the same period. My shield is now capped on coffer mobs (7 hours of killing during farming for my BLM, 0.0 shield, 1.8 parry). Time to go back to staff onry and work on parrying if I like.

edit: Also, if you go up into the tunnel near the elder goobue area, there are 2-3 moroiche spawns that have the potential to pop DC instead of EP. These can buy you another level or two on skillups while still being easy as hell.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Raineer

I did this as a combo of parry+shield. Used Verdun and Genbus (Genbus actually much much much more survivability than Terra's Staff)

Once you get past 6-7 mandies, you will stay 98% locked in shield-block position. I went from 159 to 172 shield in like... 4 hours doing this. I got 3.0 parrying during the same period. My shield is now capped on coffer mobs (7 hours of killing during farming for my BLM, 0.0 shield, 1.8 parry). Time to go back to staff onry and work on parrying if I like.

edit: Also, if you go up into the tunnel near the elder goobue area, there are 2-3 moroiche spawns that have the potential to pop DC instead of EP. These can buy you another level or two on skillups while still being easy as hell.
    What kind of gear and food did you use for that? Did you go RDM/WAR? Qhat kid of damage did you take when phalanx & stoneskin were down, and how did you recast without inturruptions? How did you not go crazy from boredom?

I really want to cap shield and parry. lol

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    What kind of gear and food did you use for that? Did you go RDM/WAR? Qhat kid of damage did you take when phalanx & stoneskin were down, and how did you recast without inturruptions? How did you not go crazy from boredom?

I really want to cap shield and parry. lol
    I used:
    RDM/WAR (defender up 100%)
    Genbus, Jelly Ring, Cheviot/Umbra
    Tacos or fish, don't recall, all this put DEF around 580 back then

Back then I used a stopwatch for Phalanx, and recast/cancel to overwrite itself at the 2:20 mark to keep it up as much as possible. With stoneskin down with all the above gear, the mandies would hit for like 0,0,0,7,9,0,0,0,12. Shield fired ALOT with Genbu's being a type 1, and if Genbu's fired you took 0 damage. The mobs can barely break phalanx with this setup. Stoneskin lasted 3 minutes or more with 5-6 mobs.

Now, when I switched to staff it was annoying... Damage is much more predictable but you take alot more of it. Stoneskin lasts closer to 2 minutes with this setup. If you're using staff only then I would recommend keeping up Aquaviel, because you get hit for more than 0 alot more often.

How to not die of boredom? Pull more mobs. It's fun :D Keeping bio on them will help. 4 or below mobs with Bio2 and you won't even need Stoneskin, just regen yourself.

By the way in case you get overwhelmed and decide you need to chainspell or just see yourself getting low on MP and need to slow down, just put up Ice Spikes. You'll instantly drop the dmg you're taking in half and is a nice way to slow down all the mobs at once for low low mp.

Quote Originally Posted by jaryk
    You sir... are a fag.
    e

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

How did this thread go past 3 comments?

Dem is an attention whore

Quote Originally Posted by Ohemgee
    Because despite the title, the topic is rather interesting? Oh wait, I forgot BG and informative posts don't mesh well together.