+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DDO Anyone?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

DDO Anyone?

I was wondering if anyone has tried D&D Online?

If so, is it good? Is it worth the 30 day free trial or should I save my money for a new bike?

Re: DDO Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardfeatures
    Is it worth the 30 day free trial or should I save my money for a new bike?
    how is not getting a FREE trial going to save you money to buy a bike, and why don't you try the FREE trial and figure out for yourself if you like it or not

Touche my good sir... Touche.

However, you gotta buy the game to get the free trial. Its gay...

Just so everyone knows, the bike I'm saving up for is one of those cool old-school kind with the Harley handle bars, streamers and a banana seat.

Please don't let my choice in bikes sway your opinon on this.

I hear the beta is turning out pritty bad. They wanted to stay very true to the old D&D rules (not the new versions). Turns out, only 2 of the classes can actualy do the level 1 quests.

I also checked out mage/sorrceor (Thats what I always have been), and it seems (staying true to old style D&D) you only can do you spells every 6 IN REAL LIFE hours. For those who don't know, in old style D&D you memorize 2 or 3 spells (changes as you level) and you can only do them every time you rest. You only could rest every 6 hours.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMetal
    I hear the beta is turning out pritty bad. They wanted to stay very true to the old D&D rules (not the new versions). Turns out, only 2 of the classes can actualy do the level 1 quests.

I also checked out mage/sorrceor (Thats what I always have been), and it seems (staying true to old style D&D) you only can do you spells every 6 IN REAL LIFE hours. For those who don't know, in old style D&D you memorize 2 or 3 spells (changes as you level) and you can only do them every time you rest. You only could rest every 6 hours.
    I always hated mages in D&D because of that (rouge&shadow dancer ftw) but 6 rl hours for spells... wow.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMetal

Ha. Wrong. You have Mp, like any MMO. You don't regen it in dungeons, though, only in taverns. Drinks help you regen it faster. You can also prepare new spells whenever you want; but only in a tavern. I thought that was great design. I took a Wizard to level 3, btw.

It was fun, but nothing to quit WoW over.

Well, I havent played. Only read the forums few times during the beta.

Little Mother
    BG Level

Level 6 Sorcerer now, here's an old pic a couple days old.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...nShot00001.jpg

I'm the highest level Sorcerer on DDO atm I think... almost level 7

Also, you have SP, you spend them on your spells. Empowered and Maximized spells (as per the feats) cost more points. You can only regen points in a tavern, by potions (cause several thousand gold, so not viable) or by resting inside of a dungeon in rare spots. The game is pretty difficult at higher levels, and you can get killed very fast. Each adventure also has diffucultly level from Normal Hard and Elite.

Elite is fucking nuts. even on a level one adventure, you're getting CR 5+ thrown at you, so its not for the faint at heart. The game looks really good, and crawling through tombs feels really good, just like you would imagine in a PnP game. I really enjoy it. I'll get you guys some more screens if you'd like.

6 RL hours, what the fuck? I hate people who spread dumb ass rumors.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I actually hated it at first (started in beta as a Elf Wiz.. woo a game that actually gives the right stats to elves High MP and INT!) and ended up making a Cleric a few days ago (Was 75WHM in FFXI, awesome not to have to tele people yay) and I'm really enjoying it. Granted Cleric is easier than Wiz/Sorc since I don't have to learn spells and buy tablets, etc. (Definitely not one spell every 6 hours, but it's true that at level one you can only have 3 spells prepared at a time.)

I don't know if it's worth your $50 (depends on your MMO tastes) as it's a vastly different experience than a lot of MMOs I've played, since you get all your XP from quests as opposed to grind, but I don't regret paying money for it. IMO it's at least worth it to play out the first free month.. then try and get the money back on ebay or something Pretty much the same risk you get with buying any console game that could potentially suck.

Oh and the graphics are pretty nice too. :D

Sea Torques
    BG Level

What's D&D?

Banned.

BG Level

woo a game that actually gives the right stats to elves
    Elves = Tarutaru. Half-Orc = Elvaan. I like the fact SE didn't use the sterotypical elves, because it seems no matter what the fantasy game was about, elves almost never changed.

Anyway, I havn't got the chance to play this game, but I heard its instanced almost completely, like Guild Wars, but with a monthly fee. Thats quite a turn off ;/ otherwise seems decently exciting.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Kuponut
    What's D&D?
    Are you like, 3 years old or something?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

I played in stress test 1 and stress test 2. Fun game all in all, i'll probably pick it up. Nothing i'd quit WoW full time over tho. unique looting system for chests... say there are 4 people in your group... persons a, b, c and d. person b loots the chest. there will be a few items there reserved for person b to loot. he can take of leave them. person a loots it, and gets his / her own set of items to loot. it tells you who can loot what in the chest. prevents someone ninjaing chests and such, which is a good thing i guess... you can trade too.

Quote Originally Posted by BRP
    I like the fact SE didn't use the sterotypical elves, because it seems no matter what the fantasy game was about, elves almost never changed.
    That pissed me off to no end. It was a big gripe of DDO.

The elves in the Eberron setting are so cool. So unique. So twisted. They're lifestyle is filled with death worship, incest, and deception... and yet they're such a devout, holy, and powerful race. They have such style and such depth.

In DDO, they're a big heaping pile of shit in comparison.

-Eberron Elves
    -Elven Councilor
    -City of the Death in Arenal
    -Deathless Court in the City of the Dead

Compare these to the above pansy-ass elf in SilverBreeze's screenshot.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

wtf a slime thing ate me ; ;

i like it so far but the right-click attack thing is sort of annoying

i like the whole action point system too- sorta like merits for every level (*'-') not just 75s!

Sea Torques
    BG Level

about elvaans to SE...

if you're trying to change the "fantasy" about elvaans...change everything, even if it was their ears i dont care...DONT MAKE THEM BLIND...

all movies iv seen elvaans had to be like bow shooters or have great accuarcy...SE failed at that