Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Sea Torques
    BG Level

Port forwarding and FFXI question.

Is there any ports I can forward on my router so I don't get disconnected as often from FFXI? I have a Lynksis router.

A better question is, why are you disconnecting often? Have you identified where in the communication channel between your computer and SE's server your connection is being reset? Until you understand the problem, you cannot hope to solve it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Well it is weird. One day I just began disconnecting often, at least twice a day and lagging all the way to 0% and then back to 100% 5 minutes later often. But I don't know at which point something went wrong, and it hasn't recovered it's usual stability since ever.

They have the internet on computers now?

If you don't know what the problem is, random fiddling with port forwarding on your router is not going to help you at all.

My suggestion: run a ping -t google.com on the same computer while you're playing. What that does is send a few bytes of data to google (a notoriously reliable site) every second just to make sure your connection is still working.

If, when your connection drops to 0 in-game, the ping starts reporting stuff like "destination host not reachable", "ping timeout", etc instead of the normal blitz, then it is your connection being flakey and not a problem with port forwarding at all.

I had the same problem, but it went away after I pretended it didn't exist.

In all honesty, I'm not sure what I did to fix it. I did fiddle with possible one or two ports, but I'm not sure if that helped.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

i had the same exact problem with my linksys router up until 2 weeks ago. basically what i did was i diconnected the ethernet cable, took out the power cord... then proceeded to stomp on it ending with kicking it into a wall. from there i removed a different router from the box and plugged it in, i havent been disconnected once since then. hope this helps

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

i have a linksys router too, it does the same thing. I hafta powercycle the damn thing to get it to work again.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I have a Linksys router and Comcast "Hi-Speed Internet", which means I'm fucked no matter what I do.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

try setting yourself as the dmz host.