+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FFXII out     submit to reddit submit to twitter

blax n gunz
    BG Level

FFXII out

13 minute introductory cutscene, not sure where it clocks in for FFIX or FFX, but it is pretty long, but at least it's not too boring.

Battle system takes a lot of getting used to. Mobs don't 'shatter' your screen or anything, they just spawn outside your radar radius and come running at you during a scene. Targetting is a little weird but not impossible. The only thing I can't get used to yet is the delay on every single action in the game. Nothing is instantaneous, everything has a little 'casting time' bar next to your character's name, even actions like using an item or stealing from mobs. Still, things flow intuitively and battles begin and end more quickly than before since there's no loading of scenery before/after most random encounters. That's a win in my book.

Graphics are really pretty, but that could just be a side-effect of me watching FFXI's graphics for so long, they're definitely not the top end-benchmark IMO. They tried to make the human characters a little too 'real' and it ends up forcing you to notice the ways in which they're just not quite real enough. Skin textures are kind of a problem for that reason, all the weird tan effects and random blemishes on people's faces makes them look kinda gross.

So far so good, same ol' Final Fantasy game presentation you've expected for so long.

About 30 minutes in so far, so we'll see what happens once I get party members. My opinion of the battle system will most certainly change once I have 3-4 people to give commands to.

Damn I beat it already, was definately fun

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Quote Originally Posted by LAGUNA
    Damn I beat it already, was definately fun

lol

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Four hours in, it's pretty good.

Level advancement is pretty standard stuff, but skill advancement is like a mix between Final Fantasy Tactics and FFX's Sphere Grid systems. You gain points when you defeat monsters that let you advance along a checkerboard of abilities ranging from magic, to support, to the ability to equip a greater variety of gear.

I'm still getting used to the combat system. With a party of three you can rely on the game's configurable AI for your allies (e.g. you can set a party member to auto-cast Cure on memers with less than 70% HP), so a simple battle can be a fairly automatic affair. Boss battles are less automatic though, since attacks come suddenly and do tons of damage, you still have to micromanage individual members. It's not that hard, but if you react too slowly to a boss move your party's done for.

Just wish the characters were more original...the plot's playing out like Star Wars: Young rogue with dark family secrets in his past seeks adventure and gets mixed up with a grizzled pirate and his semi-human companion, running into a bitchy princess type along the way.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Where'd you get it?

Would this be a good birthday present? I have about $140 to last me until the beginning of May, then whatever tax returns I get (probably about $100) I don't feel like spending $50 on a game right now, so should I ask my family for this as part of a birthday present or is it not worth it?

Xavier

NO SPOILERS, just talk about gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbelina
    Would this be a good birthday present? I have about $140 to last me until the beginning of May, then whatever tax returns I get (probably about $100) I don't feel like spending $50 on a game right now, so should I ask my family for this as part of a birthday present or is it not worth it?
    It is if you speak Japanese and have a JP region PS2.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    NO SPOILERS, just talk about gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbelina
    It is if you speak Japanese and have a JP region PS2.
    OMG I CAN DO THAT!!! wwwwwwwwwwwww orz orz orz... OK, language mastered.

Now the PS2.

I'll put wasabi and rice on my PS2 and it'll become japanese.. and then tattoo it with one of those lame tattoos that people get that means love or peace or courage because they think they have some kind of tie with old world japan... DONE!!

ok game now.. Where do I buy it? At the "w-orz storz" you say? OK^^

Just wish the characters were more original...the plot's playing out like Star Wars:
    Most plots do. =)

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Just wish the characters were more original...the plot's playing out like Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress
    Fixed for truth.

I wonder when FFXII will come out in the USA finally :\

Forum Donator
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elemmire
    I wonder when FFXII will come out in the USA finally :\

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/242708.asp

Jeez October? I'll have the money by then lol

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Don't put any money on that date. EB Games dates fior release are about as reliable as a Jaguar.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleveland
    Don't put any money on that date. EB Games dates fior release are about as reliable as a Jaguar.
    QFT

my wondering when it'll ACTUALLY come out for US is still there D:

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Is it worth playing even if you dont understand japanese? I would be tempted to get it if its not coming out in US until October

blax n gunz
    BG Level

That would depend on how famliar you are with previous Final Fantasy games in spite of the language thing.

I mean, FFX-J was perfectly playable without understanding a word of Japanese, until you got to blitzball.

I'm not that far in yet but I haven't encountered a lot that would block a non-Japanese-speaking FF veteran from getting reasonably far in the game. However, not understanding the dialogue will cost you more in this game than it would in previous games. This narrative has a lot of thickness to it, the way final fantasy tactics did. Large cast of characters you don't necessarily control and a big, complicated war going on.

Also, not being able to read the options to customize the AI for your party is going to make some battles really hard for you. But if you can at least read the japanese names of spells (e.g. know that プロテス = Protect) and know words like 味方 or 敵 you should be okay.

Otherwise, wait for the NA release. Or get a good translation guide from somewhere (gamefaqs usually has at least one).