+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tetris and Metroid DS.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Their problem was a complete lack of financial savvy. They made a lot of good games but just weren't good at competing in the console world. They have always been better software devs than hardware devs.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    I fucking hate you all because Im going to buy a DS soon

I'll wait till the Lite version is out in AU first, so the prices can plummet ^_^

edit : changed my mind, the prices of DS games are 60-80 AUD? wtf? lol DS can eat poo untill the games are standard GBA prices of 30-50 AUD.
    In America at least, most GBA and DS games cost the same price. I've never really seen a DS game cost more than $40 american, most coming in at $29.99-35.00.

Even then, its a bit unrealistic to ask for new "N64" quality games to be priced at basically "SNES" quality games from the DS to GBA. They cost more money to make.
    according to XE.com, 40USD = 55 AUD, I wouldnt mind paying that for a DS game.

However the prices of DS games here are 60-80 AUD (43 - 57 USD) , and considering the price of new games in Australia for consoles are 99 AUD (71 USD), we get ripped off as it is, im not going to pay to get re-ripped off.

Prices like these and nintendo are surprised there is high piracy going on?

DS looks nice, I dont care what others want, I buy games for myself, I dont mind the stick, but I do mind the prices.

http://www.supercard.cn , i own 2 DS games and have every other one and a couple thousand GBA games.... the thing owns , and roms are really easy to get as there smallish

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Im against piracy in gaming (I have over 150 games, all of them original, still have all the boxes/cases for them too) so I wouldnt really be too keen on getting that thing you mentioned.

Music (of today) on the other hand is poop, untill they learn how to make real music again, pirate away!

I own a PSP and not a DS, but I don't really regret it. There are no good games that take my eye for either console, but my dad happened to get me an American PSP as a surprize when he came over and I love it for that reason only. It's pretty cool and I like it but I can't wait till Suikoden 1&2 come out and Valkyrie Profile, those'll give my PSP a much needed work out.

It is hard to develope games for the PSP, the only thing that it can manage are games that don't utilize dual analog, for that it fails (although it could've handled dual analog easily if they made it right).

DS on the other hand has a lot of games that don't appeal to me long term, I like to have a game that lasts me for ages, I'm not a Mario fan at all (I despise Mario, Sonic FTW) but I'm hoping for some new good games on the DS so I can steal my friends one and play that >.>

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You despise Mario? You have no soul.

Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxthepenguin
    Their problem was a complete lack of financial savvy. They made a lot of good games but just weren't good at competing in the console world. They have always been better software devs than hardware devs.
    In an interview with Peter Moore (I think) in EGM (I think), he was asked about 360 suffering the same fate as the Dreamcast, coming out too early, being underpowered when the competition arrived etc, as well as if he ever thought Nintendo would become a software publisher only. He was quick to dismiss the idea that the 360 wasn't as powerful as the PS3, but he did make an interesting comment about Sega.

It went something like, "the Dreamcast was a really great system, ahead of its time in a lot of ways. It didn't live up to sales, and nobody really faults Sega for pulling out. The difference between Sega and Nintendo, and especially Microsoft, is that the companies have a lot of money to fall back on. They can survive a weak generation and still have enough money to keep coming back to the table."

Going to try and find the exact quote, but Moore (who was the president and COO of Sega of America during the Dreamcast launch) pretty much nailed the death of Sega. They just didn't have the resources to keep losing money. That being said, the Dreamcast was really awesome, and way ahead of its time. Shipping with a modem (56k, but hey, that was standard pretty much at the time), Sega launching its own ISP for the system etc. seemed like an early foundation for Xbox Live later. Soul Caliber and Power Stone 2 were awesome games too (GIVE ME POWER STONE 3 ON REVOLUTION).

INNOVATION.

Oh yeah, and I can't wait for this game to come out, http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/super ... index.html

It was described to me as a Super Mario World with polygon characters in the old-school 2d sidescrolling format. ULMEGA, HOW CAN YOU HATE MARIO. TELL ME YOU LIKE ZELDA.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

New Super Mario Bros is gonna rock so much. I seriously can't wait. So many games coming this year I need... Zelda, FFXII, Tetris DS, Metroid DS... whats a gamer to do.

Oh and by the way, I anticipate that HNM camping will be much easier when FFXII comes out 8)

I like Zelda, but only OoT, everything before and after that to me, was complete shit. And I didn't play OoT first (I was hesitant to play it cause I didn't like Link to the Past). Twilight Princess looks promising but the thing about Zelda games is that you really have to play them to form an opinion on whether you like it or not, that alone commands respect as it isn't easy to dismiss it without playing it (hence giving you the chance to get hooked).

I think one of Sega's problems was poor advertising and probably coming out at the wrong time, 56k and online gaming for consoles was a new thing and people were skeptical but I always give Sega mad props for trying it and leading the way for PS2/3 Nintendo GC/Revolutions and Xbox/360's online gaming.

I've never liked Mario, the whole concept and the gameplay weren't my style, I hated the characters, they weren't interesting too look at or draw. I like Sonic just for the fact that he looks interesting, the game is interesting and colourful, somewhat fast paced and hooking. I loved drawing Sonic as a kid and he was my favourite hero till I was like 9, even now I love Sonic and as time went on I hated Mario even more for the cheap and stupid games made with his name.

Xavier

Did you...just insult Link to the Past....the horror...the horror

Banned.

BG Level

I like Zelda, but only OoT, everything before and after that to me, was complete shit.
    You disgust me greatly. What games do you like?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Did you...just insult Link to the Past....the horror...the horror
    Let it go man, its not worth it. People like this exist, its true, but brute force is not the answer. We need to sabotage the 360s. OH WAIT, MS has done it for us :D http://www.gamecloud.com/article.php?article_id=4017

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by BRP
    I like Zelda, but only OoT, everything before and after that to me, was complete shit.
    FPSes zomg bang bang KILL

Xavier

I don't like to limit myself to a genre. A game is just like a glass of wine. I don't care if its red, white, new or old, if it tastes good, I'm drinking.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I don't like to limit myself to a genre. A game is just like a glass of wine. I don't care if its red, white, new or old, if it tastes good, I'm drinking.
    Same here mostly, though most sports = bleh. My problem with FPSes is there is marginal differences between most of them anymore. Mostly they play the same, and I'm just sick of it.

I like all kinds of games, I don't limit myself to just one genre. The posts below my one are why I don't like Nintendo fanboys >.> OMG YOU DON'T LIKE MARIO AND ZELDA GO DIE!

I found Link to the Past boring, it was just boring, the story was boring (cliché) the game play was repetitive and silent protagonists suck. So sue me I didn't like it OMG END OF THE WORLD!

AI makes all the difference in an FPS, also fun multiplayers set them apart, the idea and concepts (ultimately story if any) sets them apart, although so many games are trying to beat Halo it makes the genre not so much fun anymore, Timesplitters was the last good FPS that wasn't trying to be like Halo.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    I like all kinds of games, I don't limit myself to just one genre. The posts below my one are why I don't like Nintendo fanboys >.> OMG YOU DON'T LIKE MARIO AND ZELDA GO DIE!

I found Link to the Past boring, it was just boring, the story was boring (cliché) the game play was repetitive and silent protagonists suck. So sue me I didn't like it OMG END OF THE WORLD!

AI makes all the difference in an FPS, also fun multiplayers set them apart, the idea and concepts (ultimately story if any) sets them apart, although so many games are trying to beat Halo it makes the genre not so much fun anymore, Timesplitters was the last good FPS that wasn't trying to be like Halo.
    I HATE THE WORD FANBOY SO DAMN MUCH

Its like labeling somebody a democrat or republican to discredit their opinion and thus not considering the other viewpoint because its 'those crazy people'.

As for those differences in FPSes, I find that actual differences in modern FPSes aren't as big as they should be. How many WWII games have come out?

Oh and one more thing, though I respect you not liking LTTP, how can you hate all silent protagonists... Dude, do you really not like Half-Life, Chrono Trigger, Shadow of the Colossus, etc?

I HATE THE WORD FANBOY SO DAMN MUCH

Its like labeling somebody a democrat or republican to discredit their opinion and thus not considering the other viewpoint because its 'those crazy people'.

As for those differences in FPSes, I find that actual differences in modern FPSes aren't as big as they should be. How many WWII games have come out?

Oh and one more thing, though I respect you not liking LTTP, how can you hate all silent protagonists... Dude, do you really not like Half-Life, Chrono Trigger, Shadow of the Colossus, etc?
    I hate "fanboy" too, but the posts below mine was a pretty good example of fanboyism, although you all (probably) weren't serious about it. I wasn't discrediting your opinion, but it felt like you all discreditted mine to hell and back. That's what I think a fanboy is. If you take offense to that then sorry. =\

WWII games, they used to be good, but after people kept making them it got boring, we can only kill German Nazi's so many times.

and although I hate silent protagonists I don't actually hate the game (CT and CC are fucking awesome games), It feels like the game could've been so much better and so much more deep if the main character said something. It's sad cause some of the best games have had silent protagonists (the few you mentioned + more, like Suikoden II).

I really hate it when other characters speak for the main character it's so fucking stupid it's amazing that the game was so good even though the main char never spoke. Because of that you never really knew what kind of person the main char was, essentially he was you, or he was no one. Although not knowing what the main char is like isn't always a bad thing (HELLO SQUALL).

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I hate "fanboy" too, but the posts below mine was a pretty good example of fanboyism, although you all (probably) weren't serious about it. I wasn't discrediting your opinion, but it felt like you all discreditted mine to hell and back. That's what I think a fanboy is. If you take offense to that then sorry. =\

WWII games, they used to be good, but after people kept making them it got boring, we can only kill German Nazi's so many times.

and although I hate silent protagonists I don't actually hate the game (CT and CC are fucking awesome games), It feels like the game could've been so much better and so much more deep if the main character said something. It's sad cause some of the best games have had silent protagonists (the few you mentioned + more, like Suikoden II).

I really hate it when other characters speak for the main character it's so fucking stupid it's amazing that the game was so good even though the main char never spoke. Because of that you never really knew what kind of person the main char was, essentially he was you, or he was no one. Although not knowing what the main char is like isn't always a bad thing (HELLO SQUALL).
    Well I was joking... and I THINK Xavier was joking. Really, though, you are saying what many people say is the best game of all time is not very good.

Frankly, I'm sick of war FPSes in general. I have some ideas for ways to make the genre better (such as adding emotional gravity when you kill somebody), but first I'd have to have a chance to use them.

I've always felt that silent protagonists themselves are an interesting thing. I don't hate the concept, it hasn't really lessened any game for me that I already liked. Chrono and Serge had a LOT of personality despite never talking. And CC played the silent protagonist thing perfectly when youre transformed into Lynx, but don't quite know it yet, and you see Serge talking its a great oh shit moment, up there with the best. And it was only possible with a silent protagonist.

Oh and Squall wasn't that bad of a character... just undeveloped. He was a fickle hardass reluctant leader.

Basically yes, I don't think LTTP is all that good, I played it, wasn't impressed and it failed to hook me (I even tried playing it again after OoT), just a personal taste thing, I don't think it's a bad game it's a great game, I just thought it was boring (it's that opinion thing).

About Silent P's (can't be bothered to spell now), some games do pull it off, and it always amazes me cause when I play I think "Oh god, it's one of THOSE rpgs", but CC will always be up there with one of my favourite rpgs cause the story was so fucking cool and the plot twists and devices kept you hooked and wanting more. CC's story telling does annoy me a bit though, with mainly the person (or thing/machine) you're talking too doing all the speaking and your 2 support chars chiming in randomly instead of a full on conversation with the main hero.

edit: one good thing about silent p's is that you can't hate the character easily, I can't hate Chrono/Serge and many other silent P's as much as I hate Squall, Tidus and Yuna (and most FF heroins).

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle