+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Post your towers ;o     submit to reddit submit to twitter

really don't understand why people need flashy lights that are so pointless.. all you are doing is draining more power could cause problems for your Motherboard.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Elemmire
    really don't understand why people need flashy lights that are so pointless.. all you are doing is draining more power could cause problems for your Motherboard.
    I agree, too much power wasted and it serves no point. Its like tricked out cars that look good on the outside, but are probably pieces of crap on the inside.

LOL?
    LED Fans take like almost no extra power. Plus they don't hurt your motherboard. He probably doesnt have a 100W PSU, so there is no need to worry.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Mines a server case Looks ugly...

But it packs a FX57 & 2 x 7800 GTX's so it makes up for it

I don't want to show off my Frankenstein's desktop. O_o;

LED's don't take up much extra power. infact, hardly any. the strain wouldnt be so much on the system board as it would on the power supply if anything was happening to suck alot of power out anyway. the bottle neck is the amount of WATTs. 600 is what i got pumping through it (Vortec if you're curious.)

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

This is my home setup. Please note my cellphone makes a shitty digital camera and that is indeed a pink bunny on my monitor.

Sorry, you were saying something about power? I have 2 1000 watt PSU's to boot all the arrays on that puppy up.

That is my main raid array. Before someone asked why I need all that space, its almost at capacity, I will need to migrate to larger drives or case soon. Right now there are 3 diffrent arrays in the server, 1 of the other ones is visible in the second picture.

Thats the 12 drive array from the 3rd pict. They are all 400gig Seagate SATA drives. They are sexy, not one array anomaly from when I migrated from the 200's.

Between the 3 arrays I have about 5.2Tb of usable drive space. Mostly anime and movies ripped and sorted.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Thats just kinda excessive >.>

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

Meh, where I used to work this was nothing. I just mimiced what I would work with for shits and grins. On a much smaller scale of course. Its great tho. I have limitless space to store everything I watch. TV shows, movies, its like I have a DVR only I never need to delete anything.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by kareface
    Meh, where I used to work this was nothing. I just mimiced what I would work with for shits and grins. On a much smaller scale of course. Its great tho. I have limitless space to store everything I watch. TV shows, movies, its like I have a DVR only I never need to delete anything.
    What level of RAID are you using though?

LEDs do take up power though as well as generating light (dur) that adds to the heat. Though not much, I, personally, prefer to keep my computer running at a nice cool temperature and not draw too much power from my supply.

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    Quote Originally Posted by kareface
    What level of RAID are you using though?
    On my origional build I was running xor, but scaled back to 5 after the burn-ins went so smooth. Its nerve-wracking to move large quantities of data between arrays. Something goes wrong and your out how ever many years you put into it. I desided after the drive failures I had on my last array to put out a little more money this time and get top of the line drives. That was the best decision i'v made. Other then basic maintenance and data integrity checks i'v never had to worry about problems with the array.

My only regret is the drives don't have PoS. Because I can't stagger their spin-ups it kills my PSUs. Turning that thing on make the lights in my place flicker. I used to run dual 660'w enermax's but upgraded to two of the PC power and cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW. I'm using a psu relay I had imported to boot both the PSUs. The PSUs needed a little bit of moding to get them into the case, but after that everything was downhill. Whats nice with this setup tho. When I don't want the main array on, I can just turn off the second PSU and my computer will still work fine. I also added a BBU to the controller card in case of power failure.

Just a promo: I did a little research when working on the power for this system. If you want the hands down best PSU on the market, go with PC Power and Cooling. I got 2 from them and they are great. I'v played with server-grade PSUs and high-end over clocker stuff most of my life. Those PSUs are worth every penny. Same with seagate, such a good company. You pay a little extra, but you get so much more. If anyones intrested: http://www.pcpowercooling.com/produc...php?show=TC1KW (they do make smaller modles)

Once in a blue moon i'll take it to a Lan just for shits and grins. I love riding it into the building. That case is great. Its hard to tell from my cell-cam but it looks really clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemmire
    LEDs do take up power though as well as generating light (dur) that adds to the heat. Though not much, I, personally, prefer to keep my computer running at a nice cool temperature and not draw too much power from my supply.
    LEDs take up so little power and produce little heat. That's why they are the future of lighting your home, car, street, etc. If it's heat you're worried about, get better fans.