+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Decriminalizing or legalizing marijuana, what do you think?

I decided to make a new post about this to get real feedback from everybody. Voice your opinion and maybe why you believe it should or should not be legal.

Personally, I think they should start out small, and legalize medical marijuana. Depending on how that would turn out, maybe take bigger steps to making this "drug" (i think of it more as a medicine), in fact, legal. It would free up tons of space in the jails, and abolish the "mandatory minimum sentence" bullshit, and make more room for murders and rapists. Doing this would give a good chunk of money back to the community for things that matter like, education, and maybe treatment (not like you would need it, but, like every other substance on this earth-- it's not made for everyone). Not only getting money from that, they have so many oportunities to do what the government does best (take your money, that is). If they do decide to legalize it, think of how much money they can make off of taxing marijuana. I would say, millions, at least.

What about health reasons?

I found this website to help back up my reasoning behind this:
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/armentano-p/ ... no-p10.htm

I picked out some of the highlights in the report and pasted them below for the lazy.

"In a recent preclinical study – the irony of which is obvious to anyone who reads it – researchers at the US National Institutes of Mental Health (NIMH) reported that the administration of the non-psychoactive cannabinoid cannabidiol (CBD) reduced ethanol-induced cell death in the brain by up to 60 percent. "

"Researchers at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon found that the administration of synthetic cannabinoids in rats stimulated the proliferation of newborn neurons (nerve cells) in the hippocampus region of the brain and significantly reduced measures of anxiety and depression-like behavior. "

"Investigators at the California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute reported that the administration of THC on human glioblastoma multiforme cell lines decreased the proliferation of malignant cells and induced apoptosis (programmed cell death) more rapidly than did the administration of the synthetic cannabis receptor agonist, WIN-55,212-2. Researchers also noted that THC selectively targeted malignant cells while ignoring healthy ones in a more profound manner than the synthetic alternative. Patients diagnosed with glioblastoma multiforme typically die within three months without therapy."

"Most recently, a scientific analysis in the October issue of the journal Mini-Reviews in Medicinal Chemistry noted that, in addition to THC and CBD's brain cancer-fighting ability, studies have also shown cannabinoids to halt the progression of lung carcinoma, leukemia, skin carcinoma, colectoral cancer, prostate cancer and breast cancer."

edit: for more information on marijuana law reform- http://www.norml.org/

I have always stood behind legalization for most of the reasons that you listed. The carcinogens (sp?) found in ciggarettes (why am I using such big words!) are 10 times worse then whats found in marijuana. There have also been study's by place's such as Betty Ford Clinic that suggest alcohol to be twice as deadly (most likely due to dui).

On the flip side of this I understand why its not legalized. You have so many people and around 20% are about as irresponsible as "your god" will put up with. The govt would definatly try to control it therefor it would be illegal to cultivate on your own unless given permission from the government. It only takes a styrofoam cup, miracle grow, distilled water, sunlight and lots of love to grow pot. So I can see every tom. dick, gangsta, and redneck in their basements with hydroponic setups thinking they are doing some good deed.

I personally wouldn't smoke anymore even if it was legalized. I am too slow on it and really accomplish nothing. So since it wouldn't affect me I say screw you pot heads suffer, but legalization does have decent ground to stand on.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Drugs are bad for you, go away!

fucking pot heads i swear

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Endo
    I have always stood behind legalization for most of the reasons that you listed. The carcinogens (sp?) found in ciggarettes (why am I using such big words!) are 10 times worse then whats found in marijuana. There have also been study's by place's such as Betty Ford Clinic that suggest alcohol to be twice as deadly (most likely due to dui).

On the flip side of this I understand why its not legalized. You have so many people and around 20% are about as irresponsible as "your god" will put up with. The govt would definatly try to control it therefor it would be illegal to cultivate on your own unless given permission from the government. It only takes a styrofoam cup, miracle grow, distilled water, sunlight and lots of love to grow pot. So I can see every tom. dick, gangsta, and redneck in their basements with hydroponic setups thinking they are doing some good deed.

I personally wouldn't smoke anymore even if it was legalized. I am too slow on it and really accomplish nothing. So since it wouldn't affect me I say screw you pot heads suffer, but legalization does have decent ground to stand on.
    THC is much worse then the carcinogens in cigarettes.

Secondly, my dad has this theory that it is not legalized because the government can't figure out a way to tax it and won't make any profit from it.

First, Mary jane is already legal in a lot of states in small amounts. You can have it in your posession on your personal property, you just can't smoke it in public or travel with it(yeah, i know). It is legal for medicinal purposes and is supplied by the government, and is a lot better than any schwag crap you'll get on the street, i garauntee you.

Second, THC is not worse than nicotine. The government used to spend a LOT of money on testing pot and it's supposed detrimental effects. Currently the government no longer spends a lot of money testing it, know why? Because every test came back negative on long term negative effects, and the short term effects arent bad either.

I do think it should be legalized in the same way that cigars, cigarettes and alcohol are. It isn't nearly as bad as alcohol or cigarettes, and doesn't inhibit motor functions nearly as bad as alcohol, although of course it still does. Which is why it should be under the same laws.

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

I ran a business for 3 years. In that time I had to deal with alot of kids dealing/smoking weed around the store. I'll tell you this, as long as there are assholes that steal, fight and vandalize over that drug I'll personally always shoot down making it legal. My friend works at Seattle mental health, he gets to deal with the 5 time lozers that are looking at a life in jail if they can't clean up there act. They have lost any will or motivation to do things in life. I had two kids that would come into my store every day so blazed they would forget they already paid. (I never took advantage if this fact.) They had no jobs, they didn't go to school. They leeched off of tax payers.

I've heard 100 times that all the problems will be fixed if we legalize it. But that is a best case scenario being presented by the people supporting the act. The simple fact is: Responsible people will use it responsibly. Irresponsible people can fuck there life over with it. Expanding the market will only make increase the instances of this truth. People and children especially don't understand how powerful addiction is.

That being said I would like to note:

1) I have seen the studies of cites that have legalized in areas. Some (not all) have shown a reduction in violent crimes. This is a good counter-argument and I would love to see more cites adopt this as a study and see more long term data.

2) I do believe that in the right hands it is no more dangerous then coffee.

3) People will have brought up alcohol as being worse for you then weed. This argument had a fundamental flaw being that Americas alcoholism rates are staggering.

I would love to hear more counter arguments for my stance. Keep the discord somewhat civilized please. I'm not here to make personal attacks on anyone, this is just my stance on the topic.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

the government makes lots of money w/ it being illegal
    kbye

Here are my personal opinions:

1) Remove smoking or use of any substance from any public place (unless they have a lisence to allow it in their business, like alcohol). Remove smoking and any drug consumption from all outside public places as well, such as on the streets in public, parks, and government facilities.

2) Completely rehaul the current laws and systems in place to control drugs in America across the board from Cannabis to Cocaine. The idea, though much more complex then I can explain or even handle, would be to change the ways in which we class drugs and what that infers. Drugs such as cocaine, which are extremely dangerous, wouldn't see many effects, but organizations would be allowed for the first time in a century to study these substances (especially in weaker drugs such as empathy, which was later known as extacy, but originally was merely used by psychologists in marriage counciling).

3) Legalize substances that are found through this research to have no severe long lasting effects (especially to others around the user), but limit their usage in public as well as severely enforce people found abusing such substances. These drugs laws would be handled simularly to sex laws since they primarily deal with an activity done in the privacy of once's own residence and not out in public.

4) Then finally, stop the propaganda and educate people about what drugs really are. From asprin to alcohol, people need to understand more about these drugs, how they can be safely used, avoided, or tolerated. Most of all, people need to understand that there is no good or bad drug, merely good or bad uses of them.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I think there was a study a couple of weeks ago that says Marijuana has long term effects on the memory. Which makes sense, since a few guys I know in real life have terrible short-term memory, and I know they used to smoke it all the time - which I guess could be a terrible coincidence but they are both under 30 years old so I doubt it. I don't know if you would call that a "severe long term effect" though.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Zigma

qft

Honestly, whats the point of smoking? None. There is no reason to smoke unless its for medical reasons. Its stupid, waste of money and just makes you dumber than you already are. Grow up, get a job, pay bills, get a family and stop living in mommys basement getting high because youre too depressed to go out side.

Diffrent; honestly I believe the government should but a HUUUGE tax on cigs and alcohol. It may get people to quit, and if it doesnt? More money to get us out of the hole $ wise. I can just sit back and laugh while people pay outrageous prices for silly things such as these.

lol, a bit hypocratic don't you think?

The same thing can be said abount FFXI.

Honestly, whats the point of playing FFXI? None. There is no reason to play in a unreal world. Its stupid, waste of money and just makes you dumber than you already are. Grow up, get a job, pay bills, get a family and stop living in mommys basement playing FFXI 8 hours a day because youre too depressed to go out side.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMetal
    lol, a bit hypocratic don't you think?

The same thing can be said about any video game, watching movies/TV, playing pool, watching sports, and many other hobbies. (Rockets, trains, collecting baseball cards.).

Honestly, whats the point of playing any video game? None. There is no reason to play in a unreal world. Its stupid, waste of money and just makes you dumber than you already are. Grow up, get a job, pay bills, get a family and stop living in mommys basement playing video games for 8 hours a day because youre too depressed to go out side.
    Fixed.

While some of the things I listed don't have any effect on your health, per se, it can be said about them. You're not getting any smarter or richer watching Lost or 24. You're not saving money well by getting Cal Ripken Jr.'s 1982 rookie card or adding that car to your train collection.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX

qft

Honestly, whats the point of smoking? None. There is no reason to smoke unless its for medical reasons. Its stupid, waste of money and just makes you dumber than you already are. Grow up, get a job, pay bills, get a family and stop living in mommys basement getting high because youre too depressed to go out side.

Diffrent; honestly I believe the government should but a HUUUGE tax on cigs and alcohol. It may get people to quit, and if it doesnt? More money to get us out of the hole $ wise. I can just sit back and laugh while people pay outrageous prices for silly things such as these.

Horrible argument. Maybe you dont see anything in smoking... but maybe I do, your tryin to impose your views on others who just dont give a shit to listen to someone with a fucking horrible argument.

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

Comparing a video game to a chemical addiction is a joke. Go talk to a few meth addicts in rehab and see how fast you get punched.

People don't experience physical pain when they quit FFXI or WoW. They don't break out into sweats or fever over not watching 24. You can still ruin your life with MMOs, or TV or at the race tack. They are addictions but in a diffrent category then drug based dependencies. If you look how humans react when they suffer from real drug dependencies, It is no diffrent then a lab animal. They will NOT stop using drugs untill they realise their life is in danger or they run out of the drug itself. I know kids that steal things worth 20$ from stores and resell them for 5$ so they can pay for more weed. I don't know anyone thats stolen from stores so they can keep watching TV or to pay off there FFXI bill.

You can't really compare the 2.

Quote Originally Posted by kareface
    Comparing a video game to a chemical addiction is a joke. Go talk to a few meth addicts in rehab and see how fast you get punched.
    It's the same thing, actually. Emotions and feelings all produce chemicals in your body, which you can become addicted to just as strongly as meth. You can become mentally dependant on games to produce in your body the chemicals you are addicted to just as easily as you can become addicted to just about anything in life.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Brendam

qft

Horrible argument. Maybe you dont see anything in smoking... but maybe I do, your tryin to impose your views on others who just dont give a shit to listen to someone with a fucking horrible argument.
    k how's this for an argument.

IT'S BAD 4 U

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

qft

Thats too bad, cuse theres no good reason to smoke; perhapse youre a bit too high to realize that.

k how's this for an argument.

IT'S BAD 4 U
    Pretty bad, actually. What are the social ramifications of it being illegal? Are they more positive or more negative? I don't think the answers are as simple as black and white or this topic wouldn't have been of such interest for the the quite time it has been.

Thats too bad, cuse theres no good reason to smoke; perhapse youre a bit too high to realize that.
    There's no good reason for a lot of things in this world. Should we remove them all?

Love-God among men.
    BG Level

qft

I can't believe how poorly worded and how obviously little that response was thought out. Stop smoking, moron.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Cut the bullshit.

"Its health benefits are bla bla bla bla"

"Studies have shown bla bla bla"

"Social ramifications bla bla bla"

YOU JUST WANT TO GET HIGH, FOR CHRISSAKES.

The world won't end if pot is legalized, but it won't really get any better, either.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast