Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Skill-ups vs. Mob Level question

How do you know what the skill cap for a particular mob is?

Example: My archery is at 252 for 75 RNG (didn't need it when I leveled pre "adjustment"). At 75, RNG Archery caps at 269. How do I determin what level mob will cap my skill at 269? Does my skill rating (A-) factor in at all?

Also, how is this figured for all levels? I'm working on skilling up Throwing. It would make it much easier to know how high of skill a particular level mob will take me before I have to find higher lvl prey.

Having leveled mage jobs mostly, I am not too familiar with how melee skills work. The axes/daggers for RNG were merely there for the ranged stats, and thus I had little concern for anything beyond marksmanship for that job when I leveled it. I want to try and get as many skills capped as I can, as who knows what skills the new jobs may use.

I think normal XP mobs would cap that for you pretty easily.

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well, it seems to me that how it works is your skill ups stop at the corresponding skill level you would cap at if you were the mob level. IE you would always be able to cap skills on an EM, but if it was 1 level below you your skills would stop leveling at one level below your level.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fubar
    I think normal XP mobs would cap that for you pretty easily.
    True...but the issue is I am done xp'ing on RNG (75). I use RDM for merits. So basically, I need to cap on my own. Taking on an IT solo is not what I had in mind. They tend to resist Sleep Arrows often.

Just join a skillup PT on steelshells and spam cheap arrows with a fast bow.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    Just join a skillup PT on steelshells and spam cheap arrows with a fast bow.
    Loxley fast enough?

And will Steelshells cap me at 269? I have heard that they wont go as high as cap for A skills.

Black Belt
    BG Level

take it to Kirin and KB.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by layoneil
    take it to Kirin and KB.
    Wow. Just wow.

Ok...Ill just go skill up on these 2 mobs, because they are always up, and always unlcaimed. I'm sure I can sleep arrow KB to death, no problem.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Cleveland
    take it to Kirin and KB.
    Wow. Just wow.

Ok...Ill just go skill up on these 2 mobs, because they are always up, and always unlcaimed. I'm sure I can sleep arrow KB to death, no problem.
    Well...you would gain skill if you ever pulled it off

Seriously, just go for anything EM+. Take your pick: http://ffxi.somepage.com/
    Go for something less evasive of course, but its not going to be that hard at all. Fast weapon+easy mob EM+=skill

Steelshells will cap 75 A+ skills. A thf friend of mine capped evasion on them.

As for the KB/Kirin comment, he meant go to your LS's raid as RNG instead of RDM, since RNGs still own the both of them, and you're bound to get good skill ups over the course of the 30min-1hour fight. He didn't mean go solo them dumbass. v_v

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

I got an evasion skillup off an easy prey crab in kuftal at 72 nin. My skill was very close to capped (1 or 2 levels away). I probably screenshotted it but it will take me awhile to find it if you really want to see the proof.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Problem with steelshells is that some are DC and you won't get skillups from those ones.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Cleveland
    take it to Kirin and KB.
    Wow. Just wow.

Does your LS ever farm in Sky or Sea? You have hours of skill up opportunities there.

If absolute worse comes to worst, take sleep arrows and hit the spiders outside of Dragons' Aery. They are T, so you will get skill ups, and you have a conveniently located zone line if things go badly.

EMs can cap all skill levels, even if it might get slow at the end. They will always be able to cap every skill you have at that level. Gets a little trickier if you are skilling up and trying to find the best monsters (because A+ skills will cap at higher levels from monsters than C skills). I remember seeing a chart that showed what monsters are good for what weapon/skill rating, but IIRC it only went up to about 200.

Steelshells can give skill past 269. I'm pretty sure I got evasion points from them in the 270-273-ish range. I didn't cap on them though, higher level monsters were better for that.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

I was having the same issue with bow, I went to dynamis with about 4 stacks of kabura and my e-bow, I capped in 60 or so arrows while still doing impressive damage. Granted its not super easy to get people to agree to let you come as ranger if you have any other DD or mage job at 75, but if you ask nicely to a basic clear of the citys you can generally get them to agree
    ranger stuff caps fast as hell, barrage will easily net multiple skillups, its the highest delay weapon with the highest skillup ratio IMO

loxley is really nice if your doing a semi hard mob, you can skill up off any IT mob too, go to a few of the weaker always up NMs or do a few steel shells with a ninja friend, not hard at all to not pull hate while still doing impressive damage, ranger isnt broken, its just not the stupid easy job it was before

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa
    Granted its not super easy to get people to agree to let you come as ranger if you have any other DD or mage job at 75
    What the fuck? RNG is still a great DD when played right. Its much better than most melees on the NMs and Bosses. Plus it can shadowbind MNKs if shit happens. Why the fuck wouldn't you want one.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Cap your weapons in dynamis.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I capped Archery/Marks/Club/H2H on Steelshells in a fun fun fun like 4 days. It takes a while but patience is key, and doing DCs until they slow down then taking EMs/Ts to cap it works. And there is always a zone close by and it is a pretty safe place to be in.

Or you could just go as RNG to stupid things like sky farming and stuff. I capped my GKT camping Ulli, and ended up capping Throwing on Ulli himself while I made someone else kite so I could cap it <.<

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

For KB....I go RNG. But I use O-bow as I dont want to hinder our progress trying skill up on a king. Also, in a 20-30 min fight....not too many skill ups to be had.

For Kirin....SMN all the way. Until Nether Blast gets resisted, there is no better choice. Also, as far a sky, its pretty much played out for my LS at thise point. We hardly ever go. However, we will probably get back into it as members are getting more jobs to 75 and need sky gear for them. Everyone's main, and alot of ppls 2nd jobs are maxed out on sky stuff for the time being.

If Steelshells will cap..then I will try those. Spiders in DA is a good idea as well. Never thought about that.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa
    ranger stuff caps fast as hell, barrage will easily net multiple skillups, its the highest delay weapon with the highest skillup ratio IMO
    http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e6.../Skillupx4.jpg