Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question on Paralyze and procing

hi, just wondering about paralyze and resist rates

specifically does paralyze determine proc rate when initally cast or over time.

For example: I have -30 ice resist, someone casts paralyze, I change to +50 ice resist. Does the proc rate go down or remain from the inital cast?

Specifically I'm wondering in terms of meriting Suiton. the - resist off the elemental jutsu is nice, but if it would need to be on all the time for para to proc more then it's advantageous to merit up to +10 second duration.

If you only need to land the para, however, obviously it's better to merit everything one time(1 ice, 1 earth, 3 thunder for example). I'm gonna do some ballista style testing with a Rdm friend of mine tonight, but any previous tests or knowledge anyone has would be most appreciated.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Initial cast/landing as far as I know. Also, I noticed (mind you I'm RDM not a NIN) that proc near end slows down just before it wears off, similar to how Etude's boost lowers over time.

90ANG/45MEX IMO
    BG Level

I've noticed quite the opposite hirro. On several fights I've noticed the proc rate rise and immediately paralyze wears off... I'd say its just weirdly random in game but eh....

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Hmm, reason I say it procs more at start because that's what I've seen, "so and so paralyzed" just as I cast and a lot less of it just before wears off, but you're right it could be totally random.

Also I'm seriously considering deleting my Earth merits all together and doing 5/5 Ice/Wind

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

I've always held a theory that with each Paralyze cast, a random set number of procs and amount of time it will stay on is decided. For example, I cast a Paralyze and it sticks, it's then calculated it will stay on for 20 seconds or 6 procs and will wear off when whichever comes first. Bare in mind I've done absolutely no testing or have no solid basis for this information, that's just how it appears to me at times.

Also, Shiranui procs more at night.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I'm pretty sure para is a set rate determined by mind at time of cast. Caster skill, target resist trait, and target elemental def only lower the chance of it resisting or half resisiting.

Still, you can always test it yourself. May take a while to come to any conclusion though...

Man I really hope it's just first cast, frees up a lot more merits for -thunder resist length.

Thanks for the replies, I'll post a followup if we learn anything valuable tonight testing(I can see this being really hard to test though)

Re: Question on Paralyze and procing

Quote Originally Posted by Kirianna
    hi, just wondering about paralyze and resist rates

specifically does paralyze determine proc rate when initally cast or over time.

For example: I have -30 ice resist, someone casts paralyze, I change to +50 ice resist. Does the proc rate go down or remain from the inital cast?

Specifically I'm wondering in terms of meriting Suiton. the - resist off the elemental jutsu is nice, but if it would need to be on all the time for para to proc more then it's advantageous to merit up to +10 second duration.

If you only need to land the para, however, obviously it's better to merit everything one time(1 ice, 1 earth, 3 thunder for example). I'm gonna do some ballista style testing with a Rdm friend of mine tonight, but any previous tests or knowledge anyone has would be most appreciated.
    Spell wearoff will happen based on modified, not initial, resist, so I'd assume paralyze proccing would be the same. I've gotten the impression that threnody after paralyze increases proc, but I haven't tested it.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I always thought that everything was based on all conditions at the time of the spell and nothing else, but I could see a conditon where you land para and then it "re-calculates" on every single action taken thereafter with a new set of variables.

Quote Originally Posted by Russta
    Also, Shiranui procs more at night.
    I'm surprised it procs at all with your gimp Taru MND.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I've always held a theory that with each Paralyze cast, a random set number of procs and amount of time it will stay on is decided. For example, I cast a Paralyze and it sticks, it's then calculated it will stay on for 20 seconds or 6 procs and will wear off when whichever comes first. Bare in mind I've done absolutely no testing or have no solid basis for this information, that's just how it appears to me at times.
    I'm pretty sure this is true (at least for Jubaku, I would assume it's the same for the Spell). Whenever I'm soloing mobs I see "xxxx is paralyzed" immediately followed by "xxxx paralyze wears off" all the time.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor
    I'm pretty sure this is true (at least for Jubaku, I would assume it's the same for the Spell). Whenever I'm soloing mobs I see "xxxx is paralyzed" immediately followed by "xxxx paralyze wears off" all the time.
    Maybe every time it procs it has a change to end, as well as a 'maximum time'. Much like how bind has a chance to end everytime it gets hit as well as a maximum time it'll stay bound if you dont touch it.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I need some Virtue Stones so I might go test this out between classes tomorrow on some Hpemde. There is a chance i guess it could be simply a /random check but I don't think I've ever seen a mob get hit with Jubaku/paralyze then have it wear off the first 1 or 2 times it procs (maybe I'm just really lucky).

Old Merits
    BG Level

Length is probably calculated upon time of cast. However the number of procs doesn't even make sense to be a fixed number. The reason why it doesn't make sense is because of ja/attack rate. A monk can do a few boots and melee and not be effected most of the time while a drk would pretty much be stand-still.

My theory is simply this:

Para is cast:
    Pr(Spell lands) is calculated depending upon casters skill, difference in mind, targets elemental resist, targets resist traits.

Duration is a bimodal random variable dependent if it was a partial resist or not. The variance of this random variable is probably determined based upon skill and mnd difference.

A set Pr(proc) is then calculated and applied to each attack or ja. The Pr(proc) is dependent upon mnd and maybe skill.

This seems to be the way it works, at least for the para spell.

From my own personal experience, ive noticed that paralyze is particuallarly strong when you first cast it. Often immediately when it is cast the targets next action is paralyzed. After that, i honestly dont pay too much attention to its proc rate, but it does seem to gradually diminish before wearing completely.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Halleberry
    From my own personal experience, ive noticed that paralyze is particuallarly strong when you first cast it. Often immediately when it is cast the targets next action is paralyzed. After that, i honestly dont pay too much attention to its proc rate, but it does seem to gradually diminish before wearing completely.
    I've noticed this as well. In an extreme example last night someone paralyzed fafnir and he didn't do anything for 5 tics (5 procs in a row). Seems to be that way with jubaku as well, often right after I cast it the next 1-2 actions are paralysis with almost no paralyze procs during the final 20 secs of its duration.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezzimal
    I've noticed this as well. In an extreme example last night someone paralyzed fafnir and he didn't do anything for 5 tics (5 procs in a row). Seems to be that way with jubaku as well, often right after I cast it the next 1-2 actions are paralysis with almost no paralyze procs during the final 20 secs of its duration.
    You're simply noticing it more. Having paralyzed mobs in XP parties for hours on end the chance to proc right after the spell lands is no more than normal rate.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I was curious to hear from more ninja's on this as well, whether Jubaku seems the same.

As far as procing more early than late, um, that's a definate fact. It doesn't always happen, but very often i've had like 5 procs out of the first 8 swings then nothing for 60 seconds after that until it wears. Same thing also happens to me when i'm paralyzed by a mob.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Raineer
    I was curious to hear from more ninja's on this as well, whether Jubaku seems the same.
    Right now, yes.

All Ichi Ninjutsu's potency is dictated by the caster's Ninjutsu skill whereas Ni potency always remains the same.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Re: Question on Paralyze and procing

Quote Originally Posted by Kirianna
    Paralyze is an ice element effect, so wouldn't you want to merit Futon? I'm not a ninja, but I'm pretty sure that debuffs a mob to ice. Debuffing a mob to thunder would make it more susceptible to Stun (Mamushito?).