Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Fake Numbers
    BG Level

To computer pros (Q about fixing graphics)

When I first installed FFxi, I didn't have any problems in terms of graphics. But at some point, my graphics started to go amok.

- When I cast Invisible Spell on myself, parts of my body would be missing
    - When an avatar is summoned, some parts of its body would also be missing
    - Mobs appear and disappear in general even though there is no lag
    - In several CSs, the NPCs also have parts of their body missing

Example:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...fnirdrops2.jpg

I've been having this problem for months now. I've tried unstalling my old graphics driver and installed the most recent one, but that didn't solve the problem.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of this problem?

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

you made this thread to show off those drops didn't you

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

What is there to show off in those drops?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Please post your specific graphics card make/model, and also your cpu/mainboard combo. Also, what versions of the driver have you tried?

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Awoir
    A.Hands, Talon, and Beard?

admittedly needs more ridill but I can't think of another reason for taking a screenshot with a treasure pool open if it's a persistant problem

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Try driver rollback. I had the same problem and it fixed it

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Priran

admittedly needs more ridill but I can't think of another reason for taking a screenshot with a treasure pool open if it's a persistant problem
    Maybe it's just a picture he found with the glitch in it because he never decided to take random pics of it occurring? I think you're reading too much into it. No ridill = not bragging.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

This shit happens to me too. It started after I upgraded my video card drivers from a moderately older version.

I just learned to deal with it since I don't play smn, which is when it happens the most. Was kinda annoying during some CoP cutscenes, but I got over it all pretty quick.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by nivlakian
    No ridill = not bragging.
    point I was trying to make.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

try using an older driver.

Banned.

BG Level

Maybe it's just a picture he found with the glitch in it because he never decided to take random pics of it occurring? I think you're reading too much into it. No ridill = not bragging.
    or maybe it was a joke

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Somewhat related question.

Some may know what I'm talking about, but when my computer is making that strain noise, as in crackling of drive spinning, my game becomes stop motion animation. What causes this and what can I do to fix this? Is it related to data access speed in any way?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

or maybe it was a joke
    Eh... I'd think your first post was a joke maybe, but your reply to Awoir's question doesn't seem like one.

From FFXI Windower site since people can't search outside of this site...

If you are having graphical glitches in the way that avatars and such appear chopped up or with holes in them, Paquin suggested an apparently successful remedy:
    Go to the Start menu, click Run, type in Regedit, and press enter.
    In the folder tree, open up HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PlalyonlineUS\SquareEn ix\FinalFantasyXI.
    You will want to make a backup, just in case something goes wrong, so right click the FinalFantasyXI folder and click export. Save it as whatever you want, and you will have the backup. To restore it, just open up the file like any other and it will do its work.
    Next, double click each of the 0003 entry in the box to the right. Click the radio button under Base that says Hexadecimal. Next just change the value in the Value data box from 400 to 500. Hit ok then do the same thing for the 0004 entry. That should fix the problem and probably make your graphics look better too.

Link to it

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Yes, it sounds like your drive is seeking to the correct area to pull the data off and get it loaded into memory. I'd run a full defragment on the drive overnight...that might clear up some of the issues. That will reorganize the data on the drive in a more linear fashion, so like data is close to one another which makes for less seeks that the heads have to do to read the data. Also, another relatively easy fix for this would be to increase ram size so that more game data can be loaded into memory. You'll still hear the drive clicking away as its reading the data and loading it into memory, but once its there you should be golden.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

your using an nvidia FX series video card, roll back to 59.XX series drivers and it will fix the problem, the 6X.XX and higher series drivers werent compatible because FFXI forced DX9 on the FX series video cards but the FX cards were not being told how to render it correctly, thus massive transparency errors, if SE were smart, they would just tell FFXI to force render FX series video cards in DX8 mode and it would fix the problem

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by draxyl
    Yes, it sounds like your drive is seeking to the correct area to pull the data off and get it loaded into memory. I'd run a full defragment on the drive overnight...that might clear up some of the issues. That will reorganize the data on the drive in a more linear fashion, so like data is close to one another which makes for less seeks that the heads have to do to read the data. Also, another relatively easy fix for this would be to increase ram size so that more game data can be loaded into memory. You'll still hear the drive clicking away as its reading the data and loading it into memory, but once its there you should be golden.
    A standard microsoft defrag program is enough I take it? Also I was considering to increasing the ram size, it being 512 atm, which uses 1 512 chip and has an extra slot for another, but being not so computer savvy, would I need to do something with CPU?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

No, you can just drop in another 512 and it will be fine. It would be wise to just buy another 512 with the same exact specs of your current one however. If you're not sure what you have, try running this and it should tell you at least the speed that you'll want:

http://www.cpuid.org/

And the standard MS defrag is fine, can take a bit of time as it scales with the size of the drive...so I recommend running overnight when you won't get pissed off at it

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Much thanks.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Oh ya, another easy way to go about it. If you know your motherboard manufacturer/model, or that cpu-z program can determine it, you can go to the manufacturer's site and see what RAM types are supported (ex: PC2700 DDR, etc). This info is also probably in the user's manual if you still have that around. CPU-Z should give you your memory clock speed in the um...memory tab For some specifics, also check on the "SPD" tab, that should give you the full run down on the memory.

As an example, mine is 133MHz, so I'm running PC2100 here @ work - yuck.

DDR-I
    PC1600 = DDR 200MHz Data-rate (100 Clk x 2) 1.6Gb/Sec
    PC2100 = DDR 266MHz Data-rate (133 Clk x 2) 2.1Gb/Sec
    PC2400 = DDR 300MHz Date-rate (150 Clk x 2) 2.4Gb/Sec
    PC2700 = DDR 333MHz Data-rate (166 Clk x 2) 2.7Gb/Sec
    PC3000 = DDR 366MHz Data-rate (183 Clk x 2) 3.0Gb/Sec
    PC3200 = DDR 400MHz Data-rate (200 Clk x 2) 3.2Gb/Sec