+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Scientology     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lasitha
    I believe the church of jesus of the latter-day saints (or something along those lines) requires you to pay 10% of your income as "donation" to build more temples and such.
    lmao that isn't christian.. that is the mormons.. but yeah they are considered a church i guess.. most christian churches consider mormons to be a cult and not another religion like muslims, buddhists, hindu, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternus
    Tithing would be on a church by church basis I thought, not by country lol. Never heard of a church that forced people to tithe lol... the people would just go to a different church haha.
    I used to go to Church all the time, they always wanted money, be it for the poor, fix the a/c, fix the heater, get new windows, paving the parking lot and so on they always bitched about something. I don't like going to church, I go on Holidays. I still fall asleep, and enjoy it. =3

I'm gonna start a religion, Michaelism, just send $300 to start, you'll be at lv 5 right away.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

It's still ... weird... There's even TV commercials where the father is guiding the son over the phone on how to beat a boss on a PC game....

most christian churches consider mormons to be a cult and not another religion like muslims, buddhists, hindu, etc.
    That's funny, at least coming from the Christian cult.

Do your part, rip a Jesus fish off a mini-van today :D

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Mormonism is about as stupid as Scientology when you get right down to it. Then again, the way most religions handle themselves is retarded.

Every religion brainwashes people.

The best religion is no religion.

Quote Originally Posted by MikedeeFenrir
    Do your part, rip a Jesus fish off a mini-van today :D
    I know, right? Now, I don't know everything about the religion, but I do know that their book advices against idols of any kind and encourages the follower to worship in secret (or at least not flaunt it everywhere). Whenever I see a sideways "support our troops" ribbon on an SUV... it tests my faith in the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankiseth
    Then again, the way most people handle religion is retarded.
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by MikedeeFenrir
    Every religion brainwashes people.
    You're right! But it's not just religion! We also have:
    - Your parents.
    - Your genetics.
    - Your peers.
    - The media.
    - The education system.
    - The government.
    - Entertainment.
    - The natural environment.
    - Yourself

Let's do away with all these things, too, okay? =D

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Ankiseth
    Mormonism is about as stupid as Scientology when you get right down to it. Then again, the way most religions handle themselves is retarded.
    The Mormon episode of South Park was almost as hilarious as the Scientology one. (And the Mormon episode had a catchy song.)

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

You kids need a serious reality check if you think something like Christianity is a cult out to control the minds of the masses through fantastical tales and fearmongering. Yes, there are fundamentalist groups that try- and that's why they're the staggering minority of practicing Christians, but they are also the most vocal, and the media loves sensationalism. A church near my house that I used to attend before I gave up my faith (I'm agnostic, atheism is too arrogant and ultra-humanist for my taste) is probably more representative of the vast majority of center-right christians that actually dominate the country. It's a casual jeans-and-tshirt affair where they talk about the lessons found in the fairy tales of the bible. To them, the Bible isn't a literal guide to existance, most of it is fictional, etc etc. To them the lessons in the bible are a suggestion, stories and values handed down through the generations based on the teachings of Jesus, not divine mandate. They have many, many community outreach programs that try to help youth and other people struggling in life. They want to do what they've gleaned from the book- be compassionate, caring individuals who help those in need.

Comparing it to scientology, which advocates the murder and rape of psychologists, lures people into small rooms for "free stress tests" then won't let you go until they thoroguhly indoctrinate you and force you to agree to go to a meeting which is anything but free, and does nothing but fatten the pockets of a few senior members with the massive amounts of money it collects...it just shows your massive ignorance. Stop rebeling against your parents for making you go to church, no one cares about your grand proof that God does not exist. If you don't want to be pursecuted or whatever for not believing in God, stop persecuting others for believing the opposite.

I like pro-choice people who are catholic.

"It's our faith"

I lol@ur faith.[/u]

Great post, Alleya. I don't think I could agree more.

(But sadly, these days are seeing less and less of churches such as you describe. I doubt they're quite so common anymore.)

Quote Originally Posted by Alleya
    You kids need a serious reality check if you think something like Christianity is a cult out to control the minds of the masses through fantastical tales and fearmongering. Yes, there are fundamentalist groups that try- and that's why they're the staggering minority of practicing Christians, but they are also the most vocal, and the media loves sensationalism. A church near my house that I used to attend before I gave up my faith (I'm agnostic, atheism is too arrogant and ultra-humanist for my taste) is probably more representative of the vast majority of center-right christians that actually dominate the country. It's a casual jeans-and-tshirt affair where they talk about the lessons found in the fairy tales of the bible. To them, the Bible isn't a literal guide to existance, most of it is fictional, etc etc. To them the lessons in the bible are a suggestion, stories and values handed down through the generations based on the teachings of Jesus, not divine mandate. They have many, many community outreach programs that try to help youth and other people struggling in life. They want to do what they've gleaned from the book- be compassionate, caring individuals who help those in need.

Comparing it to scientology, which advocates the murder and rape of psychologists, lures people into small rooms for "free stress tests" then won't let you go until they thoroguhly indoctrinate you and force you to agree to go to a meeting which is anything but free, and does nothing but fatten the pockets of a few senior members with the massive amounts of money it collects...it just shows your massive ignorance. Stop rebeling against your parents for making you go to church, no one cares about your grand proof that God does not exist. If you don't want to be pursecuted or whatever for not believing in God, stop persecuting others for believing the opposite.
    Coming from an agnostic, that's a very impressive view. I /praise you for being able to see what exactly alot of people stand for, and being able to recognize the sensationalized hypocrites apart from the true practicers.

Amazing how all of these people who go to church only on a holiday seem to be experts at just what exactly is taught in a small Bible believing Christian church. Then again this is America. Anyone is an expert in anything they feel they wanna express their opinion on.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Lockecole
    Then again this is America. Anyone is an expert in anything they feel they wanna express their opinion on.
    God Bless the USA for Freedom of Speech.

Actually, the agnostic mentality is a great approach to seeing the interaction of various beliefs without as much of a bias towards a particular one. It's sad that there is a mentality that if you are of one belief you cannot study or understand another's beliefs, especially when you can easily see how simular all beliefs actually are (even if they are not considered to be religious, which is the current counter-culture).

And though it is true that many people claim to be experts on every subject they speak about (I've been blamed of doing this often), it's also the responsibility of the reader/listener to understand the impact of personal bias and opinion and try not to take in everything as so absolute.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Great post, Alleya. I'm agnostic too but mainly because at least the church which I was made go to (I don't know if others worked same way so don't bash me for th next comment) gave me the feeling that church uses the theme of God to make money.

So

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

This is a great view, too bad it is too unsensational to ever appear on the media.

I'd have been THRILLED to attend a church such as the one you describe here. Really I would have. The one I went to as a kid wasn't as "sensational" as most ultra-right-wing churches you see on tv, but it was close enough. The bible was literal, Catholics were idol-worshipping fools out for your money the same as scientologists, and the doctrine was all full of love and sunshine until the moment you questioned anyone about a specific issue like gays or Harry Potter/the occult. Edit to add... I wasn't a "holiday churchgoer". Until I was about 15 or so, I was in church once a week, at a church-sponsored school 5 days a week, and at Wednesday night "uplifts" about half of the time... not to mention church summer camp. I barely knew anything outside of religion.

Christianity doesn't teach ANY of these things, it's the small-town southern christian churchgoers. They don't have any contact with the people they preach against, so it's easy to denounce them. I was totally taken in by it until going to a public school and meeting kids who were Hindi, Catholic, and Muslim, and seeing that they weren't bad people with pointy teeth. That made me question every other thing I'd ever been told. I'm only now starting to get past that.

The sensationalism isn't totally rooted in fiction... it's exaggerated, but it's real. There are real people out there who really think like that. Jerry Falwell believes every word he says, I'm certain of it.

But this is totally different from scientology... Christianity is a thousand year old tradition rooted in belief and symbolism. People do bad things with it, but its essence is not wicked. Scientology was concocted within the past century by a science fiction author as part of a drunken bet. The entire doctrine is based around milking its following of all that they're worth, whereas that is not the focus or even A focus of Christianity. The original intent of the mainstream religions are purer, and that is what separates scientology from all other religion is that it is not founded in the honest beliefs of its creator(s).

Tchort

If most Christians were actually like you say, I wouldn't abhor Christianity like I do. I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in Tennessee, it's by far mostly fundamentalists. My mother goes to one of, if not the largest church in this area. It's a modern, contemporary church, with a modern building, sound systems, coffee, etc, and anything else they can think of to get people to come, and they're fundamentalists. The Baptist churches around here are only worse. I've met very few Christians that DON'T take the bible as literal truth.

If this was bizzaro world, and Christians didn't take the bible literally and try to shove it in everyone's face, their religion wouldn't be a plague on society. They wouldn't try to get "Creationism" taught in our schools, they wouldn't be trying to ban abortion and contraceptives, the West Memphis Three wouldn't be in jail, and human beings of the same sex could get married, for fuck's sake.