Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Appraisers (04/10/2006)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Appraisers (04/10/2006)

Appraisers(04/10/2006)

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/topics/060410.html

Some people in Vana'diel make their living as appraisers, helping merchants and mercenaries determine the type of items they have picked up during their travels in Aht Urhgan. The Near East's powerful ocean winds, rust, or even mere age can make an item unrecognizable to the amateur eye. The finder may even simply lack the knowledge to make an accurate judgment and find himself unsure of how to use the newly discovered good. In such cases, appraisers use their experience and keen senses to ascertain what the item really is. Qiqirn can use their keen noses to sniff out information about an item, and many make excellent appraisers. The only drawback to using a Qiqirn appraiser is that they might be a little difficult to understand due to their odd accents...

Appraisers

Does the idea of finding a mysterious item on your adventures sound exciting?

For example, let’s say you find a “??? sword.”

It may look just like an ordinary sword, but it could turn out to be an incredibly powerful relic. On the other hand, what looks to be a keen blade to the untrained eye may end up disappointing its finder. So what is the sword’s true identity? Could it be a legendary item? There is only one way to find out--by visiting an appraiser in town. The development team has decided to implement this feature in order to add an increased element of anticipation to adventuring in Aht Urhgan.

The mysterious items do not stop at swords. There are “??? gloves,” “??? rings,” and many other varieties. However, you will be unable to equip these items after finding them.

That is where the appraisers come in. By getting your mysterious items appraised, you will learn their true identities, and they will henceforth become usable. This service will require a payment in gil, but will not be very expensive.

If you get an item appraised while in a party, the appraised item will be added to the treasure pool. This is so that the treasure can be distributed among party members, even it is an Ex item. If you are playing solo, the appraised item will be added directly to your inventory. If you do not have enough inventory space, you may be unable to receive the appraised item, so be sure to clear out your bag beforehand.

So if you find an unknown item while adventuring in a party, you can travel to town and have the item appraised together before disbanding. Perhaps the item you have been holding will turn out to be a fantastic find, and then you can all celebrate together!

Appraisers and mysterious items will be available with the Treasures of Aht Urhgan expansion disc!

Underwhelming.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

sounds to me like it could be "abjurationesque"

idk, i could be completely off base, just my guess

The whole time reading it - all I could think was: PSO.

I have this feeling suddenly that this expansion is going to fuck the game up really bad.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I like how the appraised item goes to pool. As opposed to being a mage stuck with a melee ex ring thinking its something else.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Judah
    That's the first thing I though of too.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    I like how the appraised item goes to pool. As opposed to being a mage stuck with a melee ex ring thinking its something else.
    I'm wondering if the item will stay in the pool until someone lots on it or even if you zone though.

If you get them while fighting in an area outside of town, how are you going to get it appraised by an appraiser 'in town'? Unless they only drop from the town raids or whatever they're going to be called, it still might be weird.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Agree! Also wtf about the "could be a relic" ??????????? That'll be poo for those upgrading, only to have some nab able to get the relic just by finding a ??? on the floor.

Otherwise, interesting. Maybe abjuration wise, maybe something else.

I dont agree that ToaU will ruin FF, I think it'll add a lot of new content and things to do, will alter the mundane way we've been playing for 3 years.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorio
    I'm wondering if the item will stay in the pool until someone lots on it or even if you zone though.

If you get them while fighting in an area outside of town, how are you going to get it appraised by an appraiser 'in town'? Unless they only drop from the town raids or whatever they're going to be called, it still might be weird.
    I'm sure you just trade it to an NPC. Bring your whole party to town while you trade. I doubt it has to be traded within any time limits.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Kurp
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregorio

I'm sure you just trade it to an NPC. Bring your whole party to town while you trade. I doubt it has to be traded within any time limits.
    Oooohh okay I read it wrong. Once you get it appraised it goes back into the lot pool...I get it now XD

It's 7 AM. ;;

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Most likley I think the ???'s will be found in Assault , if they're found on the floor/in the environment, otherwise will prolly be on NMs.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

FI finds a ??? sword on the expansion wyrm. This wyrm only drops one sword so everyone knows what it is.

Meanwhile back in town.....

FI: 150 million gil for ??? sword....

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

and 3 months later, sisterfuck and FI are playing botwars over the new sword lol

Relic Horn
    BG Level

And the new ??? Sword is the infamous "Rodill"!

D52, Attacks 4-8 times, TP Bonus

... useable only by DRK DRG and RNG

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Best addition to the game ever, save the Hostel.

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

This reminds me of D2. I don't know if this is a good feature or not.

Xavier

I have this feeling suddenly that this expansion is going to fuck the game up really bad.
    That implies the game was already doing something right.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I wonder if this will be a scam waiting to happen.

Scammer : This ??? sword was dropped by X NM, so that means it is a Rodill. Sell 150 million gil? Too bad it is a piece of crap sword that dropped off some random crab.

Hopefully they aren't going to do this with NM's and just with things like assault.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

When i read that, i get the impression that X mob can drop a ??? sword, and SOMETIMES it will be appraised as a "rodill" for example, and SOMETIMES as a "Wax Sword" or some garbage.

Where as Y mob also may drop a ??? sword, which can also be appraised as a Rodill or a Wax Sword.

I'm thinking perhaps this is SE's way of adding content that cannot be monopolized. Because the moment of "luck" in not in getting the rare item of a hard NM to claim, and thats the only place to get it... the moment of "luck" is getting it appraised. Therefor anyone has good chances to find a ??? sword, and anyone has a very very small chance of the ??? sword they found to become something awesome.

Hopefully you all can follow what i'm trying to say, it came across kind of muddled i know.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Brennon
    When i read that, i get the impression that X mob can drop a ??? sword, and SOMETIMES it will be appraised as a "rodill" for example, and SOMETIMES as a "Wax Sword" or some garbage.

Where as Y mob also may drop a ??? sword, which can also be appraised as a Rodill or a Wax Sword.

I'm thinking perhaps this is SE's way of adding content that cannot be monopolized. Because the moment of "luck" in not in getting the rare item of a hard NM to claim, and thats the only place to get it... the moment of "luck" is getting it appraised. Therefor anyone has good chances to find a ??? sword, and anyone has a very very small chance of the ??? sword they found to become something awesome.

Hopefully you all can follow what i'm trying to say, it came across kind of muddled i know.
    how is this different from the current system? Fafnir has a random chance of dropping Andvaranauts every time you kill him, too. Every now and then he's nice and gives you a sword.

In either case you're still camping competetively for a rare outcome that requires an alliance to achieve. Except this time the onus is on getting the alliance to the NPC for the item tradein, as well.

I don't see this as any kind of attempt at fixing the monopolization problem. People will continue to monopolize NMs as they see fit.

What I HOPE this is, and by god I really really hope, is that this is an implementation of WoW's 'world epic' drop item, where you can get something of this caliber from completely random mobs, instead of people just farming NMs 24 hours a day.

"You find a ??? Blade on the Lamia Enchanter"

Be nice to see real good stuff come from fairly common mobs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast