Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Men pretending to be women

Taken from http://community.livejournal.com/finalf ... #t23739835

This weekend someone sent me a /tell online asking how come I can roleplay a female character online and why. Well, I had to think about the question for a second. I guess it was sincere. I guess it's because I practiced for over 15 years by writing GD. In order to make my female characters something more than eye-candy or helpless damsels I needed to research. I needed some empathy. So I started watching females. (Not that way.) I've still a lot to learn, but I know enough to RP and write for female characters... (barely anyway.) I treat Calcula like all of my characters. I define her motivations and let her reactions follow her motivation's laws. For example, Calcula looks up to her sister, Mii for her survival instincts and her "I know what to do" attitude... but is embarassed by her sister's... rambunctiousness. Calcula isn't as clever as Mii or as skilled as Pawya, so she believes she can find her own niche by being more learned. (Unfortunately she actually isn't...) Calcula is slightly curious but she's more cautious than adventurous. She admires Erge. She'd love a romantic interlude, but the thought alone makes her embarassed and inhibited. Finally, Calcula has a streak of justice in her. She doesn't like to be wronged or see others treated unfairly, however she has a tendancy to jump to conclusions. Why did I pick a female character? Because 1)I'm already a male. Its like RPing a comic book artist. 2)I thought of Calcula as a character that I'd like to see in the game world, and I can bring her "to life." Calcula is a character I want to see adventurers of. 3)Finally, I'm pretty damn secure in my own sexuality. I don't need to be macho 24/7. I just need to be "Fred" in real life. For writing and RP? I'm a whole universe.
    Playing a mithra is one thing, wanting to be the woman character is another.

Discuss

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Simple answer: MMORPGs all boil down to playing Barbie, where everyone gets a doll and we all do our best to make our dolls unique.

Some people want to play with Ken dolls.

Some people want to play with Barbie dolls.

Up to them.

And who the fuck roleplays actually BEING A WOMAN? FFXI just doesn't allow for that outside of /cyber.

I have no problem picking Chun Li when I play Street Fighter II, or going back and playing Metroid, but I guess it's probably because I'm not actually trying to become a woman. Same deal for people who like the aesthetic of a female avatar in an MMORPG.

I don't crossplay, but I don't hate people who do, as a rule.

Hey, Chun Li is good stuff with all her cheapness >.>

But the problem is, when you want to stop playing chun li, and want to be Chun li.

Old Merits
    BG Level

This thread fails at all levels.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'd be my character if I can warp myself home after school.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Correction
    Simple answer: MMORPGs all boil down to playing Barbie, where everyone gets a doll and we all do our best to make our dolls unique.

Up to them.

And who the fuck roleplays actually BEING A WOMAN? FFXI just doesn't allow for that outside of /cyber.

I have no problem picking Chun Li when I play Street Fighter II, or going back and playing Metroid, but I guess it's probably because I'm not actually trying to become a woman. Same deal for people who like the aesthetic of a female avatar in an MMORPG.

if i remember correctly at the age of 5,

i was the kid who played ken with this black girl so i can make her fall for me and take her behind the book shelf..

i was bad....soooo bad

damn you correction, u bring bad memories lol

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    I don't think that I have set my homepoint since birth, so I'd probably end up back at the Naval Hospital if I ever got warp II casted on me.

LOL WAT'S UP GUYZZZ!!

of course you know I'd show my face in a topic with a title like this...

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Correction

Up to them.

You'd be surprised. I know of quite a few guys (well, 3 actually) that not only played as female characters in FFXI, but also actually roleplayed being a girl IRL. Have to say I was quite shocked upon finding out.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Guy I knew in HS played Ultima Online.. he RPd a female toon to scam guys out of loot. I learned from him talking shit about that at school to never trust someone who says they are a chick in a online game.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Re: Men pretending to be women

Quote Originally Posted by Airshort7
    Discuss
    His Gay... Nothing left to discuss..

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbelina
    I don't think that I have set my homepoint since birth, so I'd probably end up back at the Naval Hospital if I ever got warp II casted on me.
    lolz

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I wish I had outpost warp near my work and school, with HP at my house.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

LOL WAT'S UP GUYZZZ!!

Win.

There are no more homepoints left in this world. The crystals have all been snorted/smoked. Where do you think all the crazy old stories came from!

THIS IS NOT LIVEJOURNAL DOT COM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Detheroc

I know how much some of us dislike WoW being brought up, but I came across this article and proceeded to lmao the entire time I was reading this:

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=3635

Its kind of a long read but I think its quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeveh

LOL WAT'S UP GUYZZZ!!

Win.

There are no more homepoints left in this world. The crystals have all been snorted/smoked. Where do you think all the crazy old stories came from!
    AHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHA, thats exactly what I was thinkin.

Quote Originally Posted by Kytele
    I know how much some of us dislike WoW being brought up, but I came across this article and proceeded to lmao the entire time I was reading this:

ROFL

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

that guy cashes in big time, $150 in a week

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

man Im a guy and I play a female taru, I must be fucked up with some transgender/pedo complex. Or it just doesn't really matter what you play.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

When I first bought the game, I created the char that resembled my looks, specifically for reason of "being" in the game, as in roleplaying.

Yes, I had long hair and no, I didn't have huge ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirronimus
    When I first bought the game, I created the char that resembled my looks, specifically for reason of "being" in the game, as in roleplaying.

Yes, I had long hair and no, I didn't have huge ears.
    But you should, ladies love elfen ears.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I love that site, ESPECIALLY the Cliff Yablonski Hates You section... I can never look at more than a few pages at a time, I laugh too hard and have to stop