+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Was FF3 good?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Xavier

Was FF3 good?

http://i3.tinypic.com/vo4jm8.jpg

I just saw the first batch of pictures of the FFIII remake for the DS (the real FF3, not FF6), and was wondering if FFIII was even any good. It was never released in America, so I've never played it, but I know a lot of you use ROMs and probably have played through a fan-translated version of the game.

Any good? The picture seems to imply a full graphical remake of the game. But FF1 and FF2 both kinda suck and FF4 is really good, so I wanna know if FF3 is more similar to the first two games, or lays the groundwork for the 4th.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Xavier dude, FF1 is classic.. how did you not like that game which defined console RPGs.

As for FF3, i've never played it, but it seems the graphics have been overhauled.

I would buy it if I were you.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

what a man gotta do to get a DS lite

btw, does DS play reigon free?

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by royze
    what a man gotta do to get a DS lite

no answer to your first question.

Answer to the second question is "Yes"

And FF3 is not that great.

Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by Kross
    Xavier dude, FF1 is classic.. how did you not like that game which defined console RPGs.

As for FF3, i've never played it, but it seems the graphics have been overhauled.

I would buy it if I were you.
    It defined console RPGs like 20 years ago. Do you know what defined cellphones 20 years ago?

I'm not going to praise that mamoth of a device just because it eventually turned into this:
    http://images.businessweek.com/mz/04...razr_phone.jpg
    I respected FF1 for what it did, but the game itself, at least by the time I played it, was too dated to be any fun to me.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

holy crap @ those DS graphics

I want FF3 remake.. and only prey they're doing the same for FF6 so I can buy it :D

Xavier

Yeah, the graphics are what caught me eye. Square finally stopped doing ports and actually just redid the engine.

Yeah, and the DS has the option to display in japanese/english on both the jp/na system too, making importing really nice for the system/games (obviously the games would still be in english/japanese, but the language of the DS menu itself booting up can be changed).

Too bad the DS Lite is selling out like crazy all around Japan...I want one too.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

save your money for FFXII, it's actually a pretty darn good game. More challenge than previous FF's with good depth on skill building and a big-ass overworld.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Holy shit, looks like I'm going to have to buy a DS soon.

FF3 is pretty good, imo. It was the first FF to introduce the job system. I honestly completely forgot what the story was about, but it wasn't too strong. The 4 main characters are kinda similar to FF1, you name them and they don't really play individual roles in the story.

If you like job systems, I suggest you try it out. Because otherwise you'll probably be disappointed.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    holy crap @ those DS graphics

I want FF3 remake.. and only prey they're doing the same for FF6 so I can buy it :D
    FF6 will onry be a direct port to GBA, no remake.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    It defined console RPGs like 20 years ago. Do you know what defined cellphones 20 years ago?
    I'd much rather rock that phone than my flip phone. Bring it back to the `80's with that shit man.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I played and I liked it, there used to be a fairly good translated version by some big FF Fans somewhere, meh can't find it now, but I would say its worth your time.

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3G6P ... LKG2QFS6Z1

Enjoy

Oh and I like it, didn't like original FF1 and 2 (remakes were good) but I enjoyed FF3.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Wafik I dare you to photoshot penis instead of crystals in that group picture.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Re: Was FF3 good?

Since it appears nobody has answered what I thought was the most important question in Xavier's post, I will.

Any good? The picture seems to imply a full graphical remake of the game. But FF1 and FF2 both kinda suck and FF4 is really good, so I wanna know if FF3 is more similar to the first two games, or lays the groundwork for the 4th.
    FF3 is really fun, I'm currently playing through it again; haven't played it in almost 2 years or so. It's definetely alot like the future FF's more than the first 2 FFs. FF3 can be argued as the best FF even better than FF7 (Which I think it is.) A graphical enhancement sounds intriguing, I will definetely invest in a DSLite if this comes out in the U.S., which hopefully it does.

I think one of the things that made FF3 such an amazing game was it's unique job system that FF Tactics and later FFXI used as their basis.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

ff3 was considered the weakest of the 8/16bit FF games, that being the primary reason for its considerable makeover in graphics and story (yes, story is being retooled)
    FF1+2 were also remade with new graphics, however it was done for the wonderswan color (think gameboy advance but much weaker) so the new graphics seem kinda sub par compared to DS stuff

what Im looking forward to is FF6 on the DS, its a huge game, one of thier favorites, Im wondering if they will give it a partial makeover (I heard 3d in battles only, normal 2d on land and running around)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa
    ff3 was considered the weakest of the 8/16bit FF games, that being the primary reason for its considerable makeover in graphics and story (yes, story is being retooled)
    FF1+2 were also remade with new graphics, however it was done for the wonderswan color (think gameboy advance but much weaker) so the new graphics seem kinda sub par compared to DS stuff

what Im looking forward to is FF6 on the DS, its a huge game, one of thier favorites, Im wondering if they will give it a partial makeover (I heard 3d in battles only, normal 2d on land and running around)
    FF6 is gonna be a direct port to the GBA. It won't be remade for the DS.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Yeah, the graphics are what caught me eye. Square finally stopped doing ports and actually just redid the engine.

Yeah, and the DS has the option to display in japanese/english on both the jp/na system too, making importing really nice for the system/games (obviously the games would still be in english/japanese, but the language of the DS menu itself booting up can be changed).

Too bad the DS Lite is selling out like crazy all around Japan...I want one too.
    dude that shit got sold out on the first day, i dont know when they rereleasing but if its before i go back home im fucking getting one

too sexy...

Re: Was FF3 good?

Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk
    Since it appears nobody has answered what I thought was the most important question in Xavier's post, I will.

FF3 is really fun, I'm currently playing through it again; haven't played it in almost 2 years or so. It's definetely alot like the future FF's more than the first 2 FFs. FF3 can be argued as the best FF even better than FF7 (Which I think it is.) A graphical enhancement sounds intriguing, I will definetely invest in a DSLite if this comes out in the U.S., which hopefully it does.
    Maybe noone answered his question, but you also forgot this part of the OP. It's FFIII, not FFVI he's referring to.

I just saw the first batch of pictures of the FFIII remake for the DS (the real FF3, not FF6