FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Shield Update

Someone prove me wrong...

I've blocked 6 times with shield, everytime got 2 tp.

I engaged and did the same thing, 2 TP every single time...

Um so yeah, where's the beef?

Relic Horn
    BG Level

A Paladin in my linkshell is getting 5tp per shield block.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

gay, pld onry... nvm i got ownt

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Maybe it's 10% of the time and you got unlucky? Or maybe you need to take a lot of dmg for it to matter (like 5% of dmg received)

[edit]
    Nvm >_> posted too slow

Relic Horn
    BG Level

You just need to take 1 point of damage to get 5% TP on Paladin. If you block and take no damage, you get no TP.

Old Merits
    BG Level

does the bit about shields blocking more damage now apply to non-PLD jobs, aslo?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

You can sub PLD and still get Auto-Refresh and Shield Mastery cause they're lower than 37...my guess is Mastery is lv1, Refresh is lv25 or 35. And yeah blocking more frequently / less damage applies to all jobs, i blocked a fucking assload of hits from Fafnir earlier, easily 60-70% and the damage reduction was consistantly around 70 damage taken total.

The TP return on blocking seems to be 3TP bonus + the 2TP from getting hit, someone in my LS said he got 6TP so maybe it's different with varying shields?

Formerly known as Arcknight.
    BG Level

I tested it out on EP-DC mobs and T-VT mobs. Shield block % was roughly the same.

With my unmerited shield skill which is at 304 for me (kaiser schaller, gallant leggings +1, shield torque & buckler earring) I have an 80%~ chance to block. I can't take screenshots yet, but I tested this on a tough Ul'phaubo in sea. I was solo and I tested 50 hits from the Ul'phaubo exactly to get a nice even number. Out of 50 hits, 42 were blocks with a size 3 shield (koenig/kaiser shield). Most of the blocked hits had a pretty big range of damage. The lowest I took while blocking was 4 damage, while the highest was a crit for 29 damage. The unblocked hits were hitting me for the early 40s. So all in all... I don't want to know what the Aegis has in store for anyone who has it or planning on getting it.

Auto Refresh is Lv35 we're guessing. A linkshell mate has PLD25 and only got shield mastery.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Isildur
    You can sub PLD and still get Auto-Refresh and Shield Mastery cause they're lower than 37...my guess is Mastery is lv1, Refresh is lv25 or 35. And yeah blocking more frequently / less damage applies to all jobs,
    Wow....

Ok lets review:

75RDM/PLD
    - Auto Refresh
    - Def traits
    - Shield Mastery
    - Access to Vorpal Blade
    - More MP than /WAR
    - Flash

holy yes, i like where this is going

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Auto Refresh and extra TP gained for Energy Drain is gonna make my shield skilling sessions in Boyahda a lot smoother. It's a shame Shield Mastery doesn't scale up and give the Paladin a slightly higher chance to block (unless it does and we don't know yet).

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Tried this in Sauro with a tiny shield, was getting 4% most of the time per block....

I did not get mastery as a 40/PLD20, but did as 53/PLD26, so 25 for mastery is probably correct.

Refresh is more than 30, so probably 35.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

dont know about shield mastery but it specifically says there will be an increase in block rate and damage reduction...

imo confirmed today fighting fafnir 60 dmg yes please

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by savageboy
    dont know about shield mastery but it specifically says there will be an increase in block rate and damage reduction...
    Just checked the patch notes again and so it did. No wonder I thought Arcknight blocking 42/50 T attacks with a size 3 shield was pretty insane...

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well, that about wraps it up for the NIN > PLD crowd.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Russta
    Quote Originally Posted by savageboy
    Just checked the patch notes again and so it did. No wonder I thought Arcknight blocking 42/50 T attacks with a size 3 shield was pretty insane...
    I found no difference between EP, T & IT+ mobs. It's all around an 80% or so chance for me... and it blocks a lot more than 60% (what size 3 blocked before the patch) damage reduced as far as what I can see.

Honorary Wanglad
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaist Vaughn
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

80% sounds a bit high Arck... Our shield lvl is almost the same so I'll have to go try it out myself tomorrow. Felt more around 60-70% to me tonight though, definantly a good improvement over the old rates.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I just tested out on a Puck in Den of Rancor.

Going off the average damage for unblocked hits Damage Reduction with a Size 3 Shield (in this case my Kaiser) was at 60% now instead of the old 50%.

Block Rate I can't really comment on because most of my Shield skill gear is on a mule atm.

Haha @ Klaw's sig... 69gil ftw

BG Level

Hmmm... maybe I'll have to retest it again. I've been looking at the animation & the damage taken to detemine whether or not it was a block. I'll have to get a third party to actually record the blocked hits/total hits just to see if what I came up with is accurate.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Was testing out RDM/PLD today in Boyahda. Was able to solo Steelshells and those Korrigans easily without any MP problems (and without throwing away gil XD on shihei). Used RDM AF feet, Shield Torque, Buckler Earring, Master Shield for +30 shield skill and noticed about 50% block rate. Normal hits without Stoneskin on were about 40-50 dmg from a Steelshell and 5-20 dmg with shield block. Not bad at all :D