Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Magic Accuracy     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Magic Accuracy

I was wondering if anyone knew how Magic Accuracy affects spells. I have searched a lot of sites and found nothing. Some of the gear from CoP and ToAU have this ability, but I can not find any information on its ability on spells or magic.
    Thanks in advance for any info provided.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

My best guess is it has something to do with the accuracy of magic.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

It makes them more accurate

sarcastic yes, but that's really the most correct answer you're going to get

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The correct answer is "not a whole hell of a lot".

Magical Accuracy may be good, but it never seems to be in enough quantities to ever be useful.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

What I am trying to find out is what does it do exactly.. being more accurate does not mean anything since you do not miss with spells, sometimes they are resisted, but you never miss.

You have magical attack bonuses, elemental bonuses, Int to give less resistance and more damage. So does that mean the more Magic Accuracy you have will add more damage or make less resistant or is it something else all together?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Skan
    What I am trying to find out is what does it do exactly.. being more accurate does not mean anything since you do not miss with spells, sometimes they are resisted, but you never miss.

You have magical attack bonuses, elemental bonuses, Int to give less resistance and more damage. So does that mean the more Magic Accuracy you have will add more damage or make less resistant or is it something else all together?
    Less resists

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

It's less resists, with no boost at all to potency. Skill is better, INT/MND is better if it's a comparable amount. I use it in the abscence of anything else (i.e. mostly Dark Magic casts on RDM)

2 str = 1 magic accuracy

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Accuracy of magic, based on common sense, would only help against resists. So it would be worthless on spells that can not be fully resisted under normal circumstances, ie BLM nukes, etc.

I was in a manaburn once with a BLM who wore Nashira Turban full time, and to me, he seemed to get resisted just as much as the guys wearing their AF hats, so idk. I play on PS2 so I trust somebody with a parser and a lot of spare time will test this one day

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Skan

Supposedly Magical Accuracy is a catch all for different magical skills. It is supposed to lower the risk of getting full or even partial resists when you cast. If you have +10 magical accuracy, it is supposed to be like +10 skill in what ever spell you are casting, it will never increase your base damage but it will decrease the chances of a nuke fizzling for half damage.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus

Supposedly Magical Accuracy is a catch all for different magical skills. It is supposed to lower the risk of getting full or even partial resists when you cast. If you have +10 magical accuracy, it is supposed to be like +10 skill in what ever spell you are casting, it will never increase your base damage but it will decrease the chances of a nuke fizzling for half damage.
    That makes a lot of sense, where did you get that info out of curiosity?

Not doubting its validity, I just know if I ever say that to somebody they will say "WELL WHERE DID YOU HEAR THAT?"

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Magical Accuracy may be good, but it never seems to be in enough quantities to ever be useful.
    I did some testing briefly with the Grammary Cape when I got that from the CoP quest, and found it to not be noticably different from the Rainbow Cape. I didn't do an extensive study or anything publishable, but enough to believe inventory space was more worthwhile.

The fact that Magic Accuracy plays such a large role in RDM JSE leads me to believe that it's more beneficial for Enfeebling than Elemental. Reducing the rate of resistance has more effect on Enfeebling than Elemental magic, IMHO, as reduced damage vs. no damage is better than a Paralyze or Sleep which bounces or not.

I've never seen anyone do a study of how effective RDM JSE is versus other items. Part of the problem is, as Septimus said, it's hard to do in sufficient quantity to make a noticeable difference. And what's the correlation between Enfeeb (or Elemental) and Magic Accuracy? Why on earth would I want to sacrifice my +15 Tabard for a + 3 (?) Wise Braconi? Wise Legs seem a wiser choice, although the + MND and +INT provided by Errant Legs always seemed more attractive to me, especially since I could them for both nuking and enfeebling.

I think the best information could be provided by the one person on all servers who picked up an Aureole (sp?), the +8 Magic Accuracy ammo piece dropped by AV. The only other piece which might help enfeebling there is the Phantom Tathlum (+INT), so the difference might be noticeable. If not noticeable, that tells you something right there.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Raineer
    It's less resists, with no boost at all to potency. Skill is better, INT/MND is better if it's a comparable amount. I use it in the abscence of anything else (i.e. mostly Dark Magic casts on RDM)
    Doesn't +INT help with Drain & Aspir? I've been macroing in what little Dark Magic skill gear I have, but that's not everything, I've been using +INT gear there.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd
    Doesn't +INT help with Drain & Aspir? I've been macroing in what little Dark Magic skill gear I have, but that's not everything, I've been using +INT gear there.
    INT helps in the abscence of everything else, from what I've seen Dark Skill affects potency much more than anything else, which is unlike any other magic. I don't mean the way that elemental skill "helps" potency by eliminating resists, I mean it literally raises the cap.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

INT helps in the abscence of everything else, from what I've seen Dark Skill affects potency much more than anything else, which is unlike any other magic. I don't mean the way that elemental skill "helps" potency by eliminating resists, I mean it literally raises the cap.
    Sounds like it's time to actually get myself some Crimson Finger Gauntlets. Is a Dark Torque worth the inventory space?

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It's so your magic doesn't miss.

Kuno casts Thundaga3 but misses the Wild Rabbit.

Uhhhh...

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Absolutely true from what I have seen. Since getting Dark Torque and BLM AF2 Hands (+7 and +10 Dark skill respectively) my aspirs and drains have been much more consistent and average a much higher number. Before getting Dark skill gear a 120 aspir in dynamis was pretty big, since getting the dark skill gear, I consistently break 160 in dynamis, and rarely if ever Aspir below 100.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by further
    Absolutely true from what I have seen. Since getting Dark Torque and BLM AF2 Hands (+7 and +10 Dark skill respectively) my aspirs and drains have been much more consistent and average a much higher number. Before getting Dark skill gear a 120 aspir in dynamis was pretty big, since getting the dark skill gear, I consistently break 160 in dynamis, and rarely if ever Aspir below 100.
    Glad someone agrees, 90% of people you mention this too have no clue about it at all.

Same here, I macro in BLM AF2 hands and I can post a screenshot of a 420 drain in dynamis, and I have seen a 460 drain in dynamis. Those plus abyssal earring, + dark torque really seem to up the cap and keep the numbers consistently higher. 160+ aspir in dynamis = almost no resting.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Glad someone agrees, 90% of people you mention this too have no clue about it at all.
    Yeah, most seem to just assume it works the same way Elemental skill does. I guess I did too until I aspired 160+ like 6 times in a row in Dynamis one night lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dank
    160+ aspir in dynamis = almost no resting.
    Hell yeah. Between BRD Refresh, Black cloak, and MP Statues, I find myself pretty much only resting once or twice in a dynamis run.