Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

This happening to anyone else?...

ever since the new update on monday, every 3-4 time i zone, my computer restarts completely for no reason...just resets itself. i'm wondering if this has happened to anybody else? and if so how did you fix it cause this is really pissing me off -.-

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Re: This happening to anyone else?...

Quote Originally Posted by Belkin
    ever since the new update on monday, every 3-4 time i zone, my computer restarts completely for no reason...just resets itself. i'm wondering if this has happened to anybody else? and if so how did you fix it cause this is really pissing me off -.-
    ATI or nvidia?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

radeon 9600 XT

I have a ati x800 and it works fine. Maybe you have some sort of corrupt file or your card is just overheating.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

this has never happened to me before until the update, its weird. i've lower res settings for FFXI and just the normal computer, tried windower and full screen. still same thing...i DO have light and cosmic eludations switched in the dats, think that would have something to do with it?

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

No, lots of people reporting Radeon issues, I've seen it myself as well. Just keep reporting to SE, they need to decide on a driver level that supports this.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Actually I dont think it has to do with drivers at all, every so often it seems that an update screws with the .dat tables. It happend to my friend a while back when they added Diabolos. His Diabolos .dat file was switched with the arch duke in his battle armor kem-whatever his name is and ffxi would crash every time he saw diabolos.

Anyway, S-E would tell you to re-install ffxi but I found that if you just got the .dat tables from someone who's game is working correctly, the problem will be fixed.

I dont remember the name of the files now, but its only 2 small files (seem to be in xml format) If you do a search in the PoL folder for "table" I think you should find em.

GL, hope it helps.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

I don't know why you're crashing, but I learnt of something a while ago that might help ('cause I was getting random resets too). Assuming you're using Win XP:

Go into System via Control Panel.

Go to Advanced tab.

Go to Startup and Recovery.

In there, un-tick the 'Automatically Restart' box.

Now, if you get a crash or something you will probably get a bluescreen of death or something like that I guess. Might actually give you a clue as to why it's happening. ;o As I see it, this is just Microsoft being sneaky in trying to get rid of bluescreen of death. ;x Hope that helps.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I have an odd issue with freezing/restarting, but this is from before ToAU.

I installed FFXI in a new computer, with SLI dual GeForce 6800s, and for some reason whenever I see Escape or Firaga III, I freeze. Warp is fine, however. It still freezes even if I turn my back so I don't "see" it. It's managable so far since I don't see them often, and when I do, I only freeze for several seconds then recover. But it is annoying.

This made the COR flag quest particularly annoying, where they combine both Escape AND Firaga III in the CS.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    I don't know why you're crashing, but I learnt of something a while ago that might help ('cause I was getting random resets too). Assuming you're using Win XP:

Go into System via Control Panel.

Go to Advanced tab.

Go to Startup and Recovery.

In there, un-tick the 'Automatically Restart' box.

Now, if you get a crash or something you will probably get a bluescreen of death or something like that I guess. Might actually give you a clue as to why it's happening. ;o As I see it, this is just Microsoft being sneaky in trying to get rid of bluescreen of death. ;x Hope that helps.
    If that works, i will kiss you on the mouth.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I just pm'ed you on the matter also.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin

I installed FFXI in a new computer, with SLI dual GeForce 6800s, and for some reason whenever I see Escape or Firaga III, I freeze. Warp is fine, however. It still freezes even if I turn my back so I don't "see" it. It's managable so far since I don't see them often, and when I do, I only freeze for several seconds then recover. But it is annoying.

This made the COR flag quest particularly annoying, where they combine both Escape AND Firaga III in the CS.
    That's almost certainly a corrupt dat issue, I had the same thing happen on Jailer of Hope (i think it was Burst II?) Had to get another copy of the dat for it to work.

What makes me think it's not just a "laggy" video issue for you is the "it happens even if i'm turned around", the .dat still has to load and the game will still crash.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I've been getting some sort of video card glitch for over a year using a Radeon 9000. It only seemed to occur while playing FFXI... but I did see it for a short period of time on another MMO.

The screen tries to display but all the colors come out distorted and in a "radial manner" out from the center of the screen. It isn't possible to make out any figures, text/etc but the PC still accepts commands, so I can usually manage to logout. Once out of FFXI, the distorted radial stuff continues on the Playonline screen. So I close that, and on the desktop, the distortion is more or less gone, and I can see the desktop normally but a bunch of pixels kind of flash in colors and whatnot.

Then I restart and things are fine. I've always thought it was an ATI driver or DirectX issue but new drivers/software never solved the issue. I also have an ATI 9800 (same drivers as the 9000) and never see this problem.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Raineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin

That's almost certainly a corrupt dat issue, I had the same thing happen on Jailer of Hope (i think it was Burst II?) Had to get another copy of the dat for it to work.

What makes me think it's not just a "laggy" video issue for you is the "it happens even if i'm turned around", the .dat still has to load and the game will still crash.
    I still see the animation, only it freezes for a while mid-animation and then may either unfreeze and finish or my comp just restarts. Though if I can find the .dat for Escape, I could test that easily enough by replacing it with the .dat from my laptop (which does not freeze me during escape or firaga III).

Unless its the sound .dat that's corrupted, since I still hear the Escape and Firaga III sounds when turned around.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Escape/Fire III/Firaga III I think have always been buggy with higher resolutions than the default 512x512 :\

I'm guessing you're at max resolution or even higher through reg-edit and probably even makes the freeze worse than with 1024x1024 D:

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Belkin
    i am having the exact same problem, and so is one other i know =(

doubt its a dat issue, happens right after a zone one time, and doesnt in the same zone 30 seconds later. also happened once zoning into ssg, with no other ppl around.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Do what Lily said, I did that and I am DC free it seems. i zoned from Mount Zhabol to Halvung and back like 10 times, no DC, than ran from Halvung to Al Zhabi with no DC's either. Have zoned a bunch more since then. Im pretty sure what Lily said fixes the problem. GL

I tried doing what Lily said but problem was it was already unchecked. Found this thread though, haven't downloaded the driver but I am hoping it works.

http://ffxi.archbell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3760

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by jerkbox
    Escape/Fire III/Firaga III I think have always been buggy with higher resolutions than the default 512x512 :\

I'm guessing you're at max resolution or even higher through reg-edit and probably even makes the freeze worse than with 1024x1024 D:
    I'm at max normal settings allowed by the FFXI config utility (no reg edits).

I guess I'll have to cut back my resolution then. At least I'll still have my uncompressed textures, smooth environmental animation, mip and bump mapping, and 20 sounds.. which I'm not sure makes quite nearly as much difference as the resolution which I'll be cutting in half.

Just fyi:

Im running radeon 9600 XT

version 5.3 or soemthing (the last one SE confirmed to be compatible with FFXI

Game res: 1280x1024 (Windower)
    background res: 1024x1024 i think

No problems whatsoever, hope this info helped