BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PUP guide + info     submit to reddit submit to twitter

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

PUP guide + info

(a) learning maton buffs
    1. the only place to get them for now is nashau, from yoyoroon near exit. buy every single one
    2. talk to the NPC in whitegate puppet guild, and trade him each one you bought. youll get a message "you can now use this improvement" and the item you bought will disappear. you have learned this buff

(b) equipping buffs
    go to equipment menu, choose automaton. you have 12 slots, and 8 gauges (1 per element) that say 0/3 for each element (0/2 for light and dark). now choose a slot and hit enter to pick the buff. youll see 3 things for each buff: title, description, and element cost (some are 1, some are 2). here's the list of buffs
    fire
    inhibitor (1) - store TP, use TP efficiently
    tension spring (2) - enhances attack
    earth
    shock absorber (1) - use stoneskin
    armor plate (2) - enhances defense

ice, thunder, etc. etc. 2 per element. most are 1 weak (costs 1) and 1 strong (costs 2) so you can equip both and use up your 3/3 elemtal limit. but some are 2+2 so you can only choose one buff of that element. and light and dark are limited to 2, so you can only have 1 each of those.

(c) using buffs
    once youve set up all your slots/elemental limits, call your dude out and hit ctrl-B for pet menu. you can use any of the maneuvers, and up the 3 are active at a time. i haven't actually xp'd on it yet so i cant tell you how well they work.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

how expensive are the buffs to buy(sorry, expansion hasn't arrived yet)?

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Do they get used up? I noticed they are stackable...

I wondered that too, Maxx, and the only thing I can think of is that eventually they 'break'. I read about the burden on puppets in the update notes, I'll have to reread that... However, haven't heard of any braking so far so who knows. But yes, to people who are unsure, once you trade the equip to the NPC, it basically 'teaches' it to your Automaton as if it were a spell. You can still 'equip' it, although it disappears from your inventory.

Also, another note to add is that while using a Maneuver you get that manuver's elemental bonus: If you use Fire Maneuver, your puppet gains 1 STR. If you then use Earth Maneuver, your puppet gains 1 VIT as well (you can see this if you go to the menu to equip your automaton) I've noticed they stack funny if you have opposing elements' maneuvers active: if you have fire and ice active at the same time, for example, only one stat bonus will be present - I have yet to find out how exactly this works as it was late, and I was tired, but it seems like the 'winning' element is the stat that is present... That, or the element of the maneuver that was casted first.

I'm about to log in and do some more tests, would be nice to know the exact duration of each maneuver to find the best times to use each one to keep up three at a time. The hardest part about PUP at the moment to me seems to be the fact that nobody knows how to play it as it should be, since its a totally new style of job. I subbed /MNK the first few levels, but pulled hate often, and with my cloth armor took lots of damage (not good on Taru HP) Its nice to let your Automaton tank as (at low levels, at least) his regen can keep up with / overcome the damage that he takes, but he doesn't seem to dish damage out fast, making exp very slow... and if you hit even a few times, you'll pull hate. This seems real similar to the first 10 or so levels of BST for me - very awkward, hate is silly, things don't work right... But having seen that there are attachments that will let your PUP voke (as seen in the update notes, in a screenshot) it seems later you will be able to melee alongside your puppet without too much bother... However, at those levels, perhaps it takes too much damage to make pet tanking feasible?

I will find out... PUP seemed un-finished to me, at best, when I first looked at it... The armor surprised me, as I didn't expect cloth/mage type equip (Errant? Ok...) and it seems odd that BLU can use Nashira AND Honam equip, and PUP can't use EITHER, nor can it use God equip, or ANY abjuration sets. Little info was released about PUP, it was the last job revealed, and NOWHERE on the box does it even MENTION PUP (read the inside label, it mentions 'powerful' jobs 'such as COR and BLU', nothing about PUP)

However, I'm hoping PUP is a 'sleeper' job, sitting with massive power that nobody realizes yet, and the more I play it, the more this seems likely.

Anyone know what attachments are Craft only atm

And what they do?

Heya kinda off topic on the attachments but I felt embarassed to make a new topic. Plus it still has to do with PUP info and guidance!

Anyways, does anyone know if there are more lists of names for your puppet? After I named mine, I came across someone's posting on AK or somewhere showing .dat files listings of puppet names. There were way more than what I was able to choose at the end of the quest. Unless maybe I was dumb and hastey and missed new pages?

I'm hoping it's like drg and somewhere there's an NPC that will change the name. Any one find anything yet? Please post! ; ;

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

npc in puppet guild will give you more name options for 9500 gil

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I'm curious, what do you plan on subbing for this? Sure, the automaton goes up and does its thing, but what does a PUP do in the mean time? :/

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

MNK or WAR, its a melee job with a pet

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I thought they had a lowish/average hand to hand rating/can't really equip melee gear?

Ahh ok got it! Abda-Lurabda, thanks! ^^v

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSkye

And what they do?
    The ones I couldn't buy from npc are:

Strobe
    Scanner
    Pattern Reader
    Analyzer
    Heat Seaker
    Heatsink
    Flashbulb
    Man Converter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Thranduil
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSkye

And what they do?
    The ones I couldn't buy from npc are:

Strobe
    Scanner
    Pattern Reader
    Analyzer
    Heat Seaker
    Heatsink
    Flashbulb
    Man Converter
    For manthra puppetmasters?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Biggest problem of PUP quest...I can't decide on a name...they're all so...meh...

Luron, Drille, Caprice, Foucade, Capillotte, Quenotte, Pacotille, Comedie, Kagekiyo, Toraoh, Genta, Kintoki, Koumei, Pamama, Lobo, Tsukushi, Hannya, Mashira, Allouette, Rouleteau, Histrion, Bobeche, Bougrion, Tournefoux, Chafouin, Luron, Rouleteau, Loustic, Plaisantin, Serenade, Allouette, Ficelette, Tocadie, Foucade, Capillotte, Oniwaka, Kenbishi.

I think that's all of them, I've been looking at them for the last 20 minutes and still can't decide...NPC names were so much better than this -_-;

Mana converter gradually takes HP and converts it to MP. I assume that it works faster than the mana tank which gives 1mp/tick refresh per dark manuver (you can stack up to 3 at one time).

Right now I'm working on getting the second frame/head set (you have a choice of the three available besides harlequin). However, the real problem is the Imperial currency. I need 3 Imperial silver peices. People are currently charging absurd amounts just for the bronze/mythril. My pup is at 10 and 10 it will stay until I get the new frame/head.

Eh? I was looking at PUP gear on the AH and almost all of it seems bent towards mage subjobs. If I recall correctly (this could be wrong), they can't even equip Amemet Mantle.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nuriko
    Biggest problem of PUP quest...I can't decide on a name...they're all so...meh...

Luron, Drille, Caprice, Foucade, Capillotte, Quenotte, Pacotille, Comedie, Kagekiyo, Toraoh, Genta, Kintoki, Koumei, Pamama, Lobo, Tsukushi, Hannya, Mashira, Allouette, Rouleteau, Histrion, Bobeche, Bougrion, Tournefoux, Chafouin, Luron, Rouleteau, Loustic, Plaisantin, Serenade, Allouette, Ficelette, Tocadie, Foucade, Capillotte, Oniwaka, Kenbishi.

I think that's all of them, I've been looking at them for the last 20 minutes and still can't decide...NPC names were so much better than this -_-;
    you can pay 9800 to change it when you talk to the Taru in the shop as a PUP, there's a huge list that's not on the initial list (maybe 3-4x more names).

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gafgarionn
    Eh? I was looking at PUP gear on the AH and almost all of it seems bent towards mage subjobs. If I recall correctly (this could be wrong), they can't even equip Amemet Mantle.
    Yeah, they can't wear assault jerkin, haub, scorpion harness, any of the 3 melee cursed, none of the god set or even amemet. They don't really have MP, but neither do BRD and that doesnt stop them from subbing mage jobs. I'm pretty inclined to believe PUP was intended to sit back and do some limited assisting with a /whm sub or something of the sort, while the puppet stays in the front line beating stuff up (though there are some more caster oriented parts too, so that can work as well). But as far as parties are concerned, from what it looks like, PUP will be meleeing with H2h as often as WHMs do with clubs

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Oh wow, yeah that list definately has 3-4x more names. Thanks.

Hmm Sakura and Asuka on those lists...wonder how many people pick them

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Nuriko

Thats not all of it. If you talk to the taur in automaton shop as a pup, he will make you pay 10k and give you a huge list of names, much better ones.

I named mine Muffin ^^