Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze
    Posted an FAQ about the job on my LJ.

Link: http://kurokikaze01.livejournal.com/13820.html

Check it out sometime. Anyways, later!
    Cool!

Now let's go kill the Dragon!

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

I'm fairly certain Head Butt doesn't exist since I've been fighting young quadavs in palborough mines for about 2 hours now and I"ve not seen it in the last 50 or so WS's they've used.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by FFXIFlux
    Can you learn from too weak though without the PL? Could you take a level 75 BLU into a newbie zone and learn wild oats for instance?

One thing I'm pretty sure of, lots of people say you can learn things up to 10 levels higher than your level, but I believe it's 10 levels higher than your Blue Magic skill level, i.e. a level 30 BLU with 0 Blue Magic skill couldn't learn a level 11 move. Either that or I got very very very very unlucky with Screwdriver while gaining 3 levels on Pugils in Qufim. I'm going to have to start making pineapple juice or something... I don't see ever getting to sit or have MP regen until we hit 40, and Cocoon doesn't skillup worth shit..
    Do your parties really kill that fast? Is it a roaming party? If a BLM has time to sit, I don't see why you wouldn't, unless you were one of those melee BLUs or something. But resting > playing with your sword, so do your party a favor and sit. You don't need TP, and it won't affect you at all until 40 during a specific job ability with a cooldown.

Probably not coincidentally, TP starts mattering to BLUs right about the time they can get Refresh from a RDM in the party.

5 blu and cor, 7k exp an hour vs. mandys then bones from 27-35 in yhot then ssg.

we had 3 Blu / Thf who sa bludgeon one who was Blu / Nin and Blu / Whm for divine seal + hb. It worked really well. We even killed the NM skel!!!

I'm sure you can start this at lower levels esp. in Qufim if you want to get a good chain off Wights. Bludgeon owns.

Call it what you want Bludgeon Burn or Blue Burn... We did it first!!

Edit: Pt. Members: Moochi, Wilhelm, Gudan, Kuroune, Heph(i forget the rest), Falen.

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    Do your parties really kill that fast? Is it a roaming party? If a BLM has time to sit, I don't see why you wouldn't, unless you were one of those melee BLUs or something. But resting > playing with your sword, so do your party a favor and sit. You don't need TP, and it won't affect you at all until 40 during a specific job ability with a cooldown.

Probably not coincidentally, TP starts mattering to BLUs right about the time they can get Refresh from a RDM in the party.
    I'm the tank, we have a 2-box 75 RDM healing, and yes we're either roaming or constantly fighting. We typically have 3x BLU and 2-3x COR in the party. With gear, taco, cocoon and protect I was over 250 def at level 21.

I've been rapeing toughs to skillup a bit and got 10 or so BLU skill spamming foot kick and headbutt with yagudo drink and am starting to catch back up to cap. I wouldn't care and just let my BLU skill catch up at higher levels when we have MP regen, but the fact that I can't learn spells while XPing because of the low skill is a double blow, so I'll just have to get the blue magic skill up.

E. Body
    BG Level

The magic attack bonus trait OWNS, and so does doing 170 bludgeons on IT bats in garliage :D

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Razz
    The magic attack bonus trait OWNS, and so does doing 170 bludgeons on IT bats in garliage :D
    Does mattk+ affect bludgeon damage? I've certainly noticed eating Sushi has helped a lot with my bludgeon accuracy, but wasn't sure if str+ and attk+ would up the damage or if mattk+ would.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

I've been having my Ranger power leveled like mad the past 24 hours (11->27, sup Minuet 3+4, Prelude and Herc Etude) in preperation for Corsair and I've noticed that triple bat's Jet Stream has been nerfed a hell of a lot. I don't think I've seen one over 75 damage this entire time and this is a Ranger without pro and with rubbish def equip taking it from a VT. I'd imagine we have Blue Mage to thank for this.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

This has problem been proven somewhere else but w/e.

I tried subbing BLU on my DRK and set my spells so I got Magic Atk Bonus.

First 3 are w/o and the last 2 are with the trait.

I think it's pretty safe to say it adds 20% magic atk which is pretty ownage. I havn't tested but I heard it doesn't stack with the BLM trait.

Quote Originally Posted by Alathar
    Does mattk+ affect bludgeon damage? I've certainly noticed eating Sushi has helped a lot with my bludgeon accuracy, but wasn't sure if str+ and attk+ would up the damage or if mattk+ would.

I did some fast test on DRK/BLU. I did 7 Feather Storms and it did on average 490 dmg (yes 490 for 12mp lol). All on Tiny Mandragoras with Magic Atk Trait and Moldavite.

I took them off and did another 7 and it did 502 on average. Pretty sure Magic Atk is only for the magical BLU spells.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Artica
    I'm fairly certain Head Butt doesn't exist since I've been fighting young quadavs in palborough mines for about 2 hours now and I"ve not seen it in the last 50 or so WS's they've used.
    Welcome to being a BLU.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm
    5 blu and cor, 7k exp an hour vs. mandys then bones from 27-35 in yhot then ssg.

we had 3 Blu / Thf who sa bludgeon one who was Blu / Nin and Blu / Whm for divine seal + hb. It worked really well. We even killed the NM skel!!!

I'm sure you can start this at lower levels esp. in Qufim if you want to get a good chain off Wights. Bludgeon owns.

Call it what you want Bludgeon Burn or Blue Burn... We did it first!!

Edit: Pt. Members: Moochi, Wilhelm, Gudan, Kuroune, Heph(i forget the rest), Falen.
    Yeah I did this on worms in qufim a few days ago, works pretty well. Got up a ways then went in to delkfutt and the COR got healers roll and we rocked some goblins.

E. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Alathar
    What moochi said is correct, magical spells are m.atk and physical are acc/atk, but the reason why I say matk bonus owns so much is because I can sub war and still do the same MB damage as I would on /blm sub, with the addition of berserk etc.

Edit: any higher level BLUs use anything other than bludgeon?

Regarding learning the BLU spells from higher or lower level mobs:

The limits are far less than people have commonly stated. Namely, you can learn from a mob that are too low level to give xp to you, and you can learn from mobs that are waaaay over your level range (definitely more than 10+ levels above.) We have a Blue Mage in my linkshell that has gone around with friends and gotten spells well before 10 levels from when they could be used; another got Bomb Toss at level 9, which can't be used until 28.

From all results so far, it does seem to be a sliding scale: the higher the mob level is above you, it may lower your chance of learning it. The Blue Mage 2hr does seem to help in this regard, by greatly increasing the learn rate.

As far as learning from mobs that are lower level than you, the actual text from the patch notes states, "You will not acquire blue magic if you are KO'd when a monster is defeated, or the defeated monster does not yield experience points." This seems to be a clumsily written way of saying, "If someone CFH on the mob so that it doesn't give xp or anything else, you can't learn a spell from it." It is not necessary for the Blue Mage to be low enough level to gain xp from a mob, to learn a spell from it.

Basically, as long as you're in the group when it uses the ability, and close enough to see the message for that, you have a chance of learning it. The chance might drop to 0 if it's 50+ levels over you, or something, but there's a chance much farther across the board than people have stated, just because they didn't learn a spell from 5 mobs that they killed.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

What moochi said is correct, magical spells are m.atk and physical are acc/atk, but the reason why I say matk bonus owns so much is because I can sub war and still do the same MB damage as I would on /blm sub, with the addition of berserk etc.
    Wrong. Physical spells are completely independant of your attack. Sub mage, and use no weapon. Your attack will most likely be under 20 since you have no hand to hand skill. Spells will still do the same damage, though they will resist more because accuracy is based on weapon skill/acc.

Anyways, ive reports of chain affinity getting stronger as you level up. For instance, Hot shot-> Uppercut at level 40 makes Liquification. At level 50, it changes to Fusion? I cant confirm this, im just going by what I heard. Looking for similiar confirmations.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras

Wrong. Physical spells are completely independant of your attack. Sub mage, and use no weapon. Your attack will most likely be under 20 since you have no hand to hand skill. Spells will still do the same damage, though they will resist more because accuracy is based on weapon skill/acc.
    I think its way too early to be drawing that sort of conclusion. Your method of unequipping your weapon fails because it'll also lower your accuracy. You need some way of shooting your attack through the roof and some way of dropping it really low to be able to see any difference. Try getting a 75BRD to soul voice some minuets for you and then see how much dmg you do w/ phyiscal spells.

With milk. With love
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

Last edited by Dezzimal on Sun Jul 4, 2010, 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    PRAY TELL! How's the weather in 2010?

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Dezzimal
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeras

I think its way too early to be drawing that sort of conclusion. Your method of unequipping your weapon fails because it'll also lower your accuracy. You need some way of shooting your attack through the roof and some way of dropping it really low to be able to see any difference. Try getting a 75BRD to soul voice some minuets for you and then see how much dmg you do w/ phyiscal spells.
    Im sorry, and what does lowering your accuracy have to do with its damage? Use a 1 hit spell. It hits, or it doesnt... accuracy doesnt factor into the equation at all. Sure, you may get resisted 6/10 times, but on the 4 times that it hits you will see the exact same damage as your main weapon and +atk gear.

Attack doesnt factor in at all. Go test it with your brd theory, if youre still unsure. The rest of us arent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuer
    The limits are far less than people have commonly stated. Namely, you can learn from a mob that are too low level to give xp to you, and you can learn from mobs that are waaaay over your level range (definitely more than 10+ levels above.) We have a Blue Mage in my linkshell that has gone around with friends and gotten spells well before 10 levels from when they could be used; another got Bomb Toss at level 9, which can't be used until 28.
    Your linkshell mate learned Blast Bomb, not Bomb Toss. One of the few things people have been agreeing on with BLU is that 10 levels is the limit.

From all results so far, it does seem to be a sliding scale: the higher the mob level is above you, it may lower your chance of learning it. The Blue Mage 2hr does seem to help in this regard, by greatly increasing the learn rate.
    Azure Lore does absolutely nothing to increase learn rate. As far as I can tell Azure Lore is like a 30 second Elemental Seal.

Mob level may influence learning, but if it does, it doesn't seem to be by a huge amount.

Basically, as long as you're in the group when it uses the ability, and close enough to see the message for that, you have a chance of learning it. The chance might drop to 0 if it's 50+ levels over you, or something, but there's a chance much farther across the board than people have stated, just because they didn't learn a spell from 5 mobs that they killed.
    I've learned a couple spells from too weak and a couple with a level 75 in the party. Getting XP is a requirement, but that XP can be 0 because of mob or player level. Mobs that don't give XP like CFH and probably dynamis/limbus/enm though is what they meant I imagine.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dezzimal
    You need some way of shooting your attack through the roof and some way of dropping it really low to be able to see any difference.
    Two words: Berserk and Defender.

I know when I goto learn spells against mobs that are EP or DC I often H2H them to give them TP. My Physical attacks are still just as strong as if I went at it with my swords. I think I have soloed enough mobs to conclude that Damage isnt greatly based if any on attack.

Edit:
    I have heard though of people subbing and usuing low lvl spells like Feather Storm and the Cardian move to deal 400+ to beginning mobs and such

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 649 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast