Page 9 of 649 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast
    Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras
    Im sorry, and what does lowering your accuracy have to do with its damage? Use a 1 hit spell. It hits, or it doesnt... accuracy doesnt factor into the equation at all.
    Square themself said that accuracy would be a huge determinate in how well BLU spells land. I'll test my attack theory when I can get a 75BRD to help me. 2x Soul Voiced minuets should add what, 300 attack? Plenty.

Please don't try speaking for everyone with your "The rest of us aren't" line. I'm sure there are a few other skeptics out there like myself.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Quote Originally Posted by Razz
    Quote Originally Posted by Alathar
    Quote Originally Posted by Razz
    The magic attack bonus trait OWNS, and so does doing 170 bludgeons on IT bats in garliage :D
    Does mattk+ affect bludgeon damage? I've certainly noticed eating Sushi has helped a lot with my bludgeon accuracy, but wasn't sure if str+ and attk+ would up the damage or if mattk+ would.
    What moochi said is correct, magical spells are m.atk and physical are acc/atk, but the reason why I say matk bonus owns so much is because I can sub war and still do the same MB damage as I would on /blm sub, with the addition of berserk etc.

Edit: any higher level BLUs use anything other than bludgeon?
    Bludgeon, Jet Stream and Mandibular Bite. Oh and Head Butt for stun locking. >.>;

Some BLU ownage. <3 the job: http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9945/img00115si.jpg

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/125/img00203sm.jpg

While we're posting pics of BLU pwnage...

I'm a blu noob, I'm in the middle of moving, and haven't been able to log on for about a week, so I haven't seen anything on the new expansion.

Anyway, how does the casting look for blu spells? Do the spells all look the same? And do they use the sound for each spell, or is it just the same sound each time? Also, are there varying cast times, because from the logs people are posting, it seems like they cast very quick.

I've been hit by Sonic Boom by bats, and my Bludgeon damage didnt budge. In fact my highest Bludgeon at the time was WHILE I had Sonic Boom on. Ask any melee how much Sonic Boom nerfs your damage, and you'll know thats not possible, unless attack doesnt have an affect on physical damage BPs..

This isnt going so well guys.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Sonic boom does suck It dropped my mnks raging fists from 500-600ish down to 2-300ish when i had a pt on bats at lvl 50

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Lockecole
    I've been hit by Sonic Boom by bats, and my Bludgeon damage didnt budge. In fact my highest Bludgeon at the time was WHILE I had Sonic Boom on. Ask any melee how much Sonic Boom nerfs your damage, and you'll know thats not possible, unless attack doesnt have an affect on physical damage BPs..
    Good info. I'm still going to do my test, however, just to doublecheck.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

What kinda food do you all use? I can't decide what to use. First I was using pies/rice balls but I didn't really need the MP unless I was soloing and we all know now that atk doesn't seem to do much. Anyone notice less resists using sushi? I've been using wizard cookies lately just to get my MP back faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Moochi
    What kinda food do you all use? I can't decide what to use. First I was using pies/rice balls but I didn't really need the MP unless I was soloing and we all know now that atk doesn't seem to do much. Anyone notice less resists using sushi? I've been using wizard cookies lately just to get my MP back faster.
    Depends, I had a COR in my last PT, and he would adjust to w/e we used. I was using Sushi, made my Bludgeons hit more often, and he just used Chaos Roll or w/e that is. The DRK Attack Roll. Though I was using Meat also, and hitting pretty hard with melee. 40-50 sometimes a hit on IT bats.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I prefer meat still @30ish since the benefits of sushi are minimal at best. I'll agree that attack doesn't seem to have an effect on melee-based blue magic. I think it's more related to your blue magic skill and stat modifiers. If you're going to have a bard with you to test out attack, have him test out etudes as well.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Since I heard about it I was excited about this job but now it just pisses me off and I'm about to say screw it because I'm lvl 5 now and I can't learn any spells no matter how many times I stand around waiting for mobs to use a skill and then kill it. I may try some more soon with it but for now I'm gonna enjoy the Swords event and stuff. ANYONE who can provide me with some tips on learning spells, PLEASE GOD let me know. I'm getting really iritated. And no one say "give it time" cause I'll snap your head right off with my Scythe!

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Tidusin
    Since I heard about it I was excited about this job but now it just pisses me off and I'm about to say screw it because I'm lvl 5 now and I can't learn any spells no matter how many times I stand around waiting for mobs to use a skill and then kill it. I may try some more soon with it but for now I'm gonna enjoy the Swords event and stuff. ANYONE who can provide me with some tips on learning spells, PLEASE GOD let me know. I'm getting really iritated. And no one say "give it time" cause I'll snap your head right off with my Scythe!
    Ways to supposedly improve your rate of learning are discusssed in this thread.

Seriously the best answer is "Give it time," you're obviously not at endgame based on your sig but if spending awhile to learn a spell for a job frustrates you now, you're gonna go balls out crazy camping stuff at endgame. This game requires alot of patience in all it's aspects (crafting, xping, camping, etc.).

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I apologize if this has been answered in this thread but I have followed it pretty close and did not see it. Has there been anything confirmed on which stats are the most helpful for BLU? Are most using a mage build or attack build as they get part 30 or so?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by richey
    I apologize if this has been answered in this thread but I have followed it pretty close and did not see it. Has there been anything confirmed on which stats are the most helpful for BLU? Are most using a mage build or attack build as they get part 30 or so?
    Attack build with MP gear seems to work best for me.

At level 50BLU, I'm using Brigandine, Astral Rings, Peacock Charm, Voyager Sallet, Astral Earring, Swift Belt, RSE Pants and Shoes. It gives me a good 470 MP and 800 HP (as Elvaan) as BLU/NIN.

I do great damage with my sword WS, and the DoT from Dual Wielding Swords (A- Skill, higher with merits) isn't as bad as I once thought. Checking parser data showed that my accuracy and overall damage (even when I don't blow all my MP to deal damage) is quite good.

People playing BLU should also be warned in advance, you're not going to be the best DD (go WAR or MNK for that role). You're not gonna have the best damage spells in the game (go BLM). You're not gonna have the best support abilities (go BRD RDM COR). You're not gonna be the best tank (go NIN PLD).

Until further testing of later spells (think SMN 1-69 and SMN 70+), BLU seems to be just a hybrid fighter-mage that deals some dmg with sword, some with spells (not by bursts of big spells, but by using quick spells over and over).

If you're willing to have some fun though, with a job that's versatile, go for BLU. You can do a lot of cool things in a party, spell hunting gives you something to do between XP sessions, and you can set up skillchains with chain affinity (every 2 minute cooldown). That means you basically have 100% TP (so to speak) to SC with whoever, every 2 minutes. Is this something new? Not really. Summoner can call out an avatar and set up a skillchain too (think Poison Nails -> Viper Bite for distortion). It adds flavor though. You can do MB's every 2 minutes with burst affinity. Is it powerful? It's about half the dmg of a RDM at your level using their best nuke at MB.

You can adjust your spell list to be more versatile too. Need Dispel? Need a Stun? Add Geist Wall and Jettatura to your list. Geist Wall (Dispel) gets resisted a lot though (think Fenrir's Lunar Cry... lawl at that ever working). It should be better than Lunar Cry though. Stun? Try Jettatura because Head Butt never stops anything. Jettatura works well on VT and below, but on IT, it gets resisted. It does a 1-5 s terror on the monster (yes it freezes them in funny animations), and stuns their casting etc.

The moral of the story? You won't be the best at any particular thing, but versatility makes the job fun and it holds its own in a PT. I wonder how it'll work in HNM later... I'm guessing it'll suck ASS.

Oh... and I'm a Ballista nut (4th place Ballista Royale!!!) -- and BLU at 30 and 40 were quite ownage. BALLISTA is where I see BLU owning. Actinic Burst (AoE Flash) when you're getting gangbanged, then Mysterious Light (AoE Gravity), then RUN~~~!

Not to mention Disserverment or Bludgeon for a quick kill (cast time owns on BLU).

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Thanks Tanthalas :D

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Quote Originally Posted by richey
    My build right now is raw stats. STR, DEX and then acc. Seems to work pretty well, I run at 23 +20 STR in XP and my bludgeons hit for over 100 about half the time now when everything connects.

I have INT rings to swap in for MB as well, which boost my bomb toss by a few points of damage.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Just for shits and giggles. Self-Destruct pulls so much hate you'll probably die when you finish MB'ing it and have 2 HP left (weakened).

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...c/img_0069.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tanthalas
    You can adjust your spell list to be more versatile too. Need Dispel? Need a Stun? Add Geist Wall and Jettatura to your list. Geist Wall (Dispel) gets resisted a lot though (think Fenrir's Lunar Cry... lawl at that ever working). It should be better than Lunar Cry though. Stun? Try Jettatura because Head Butt never stops anything. Jettatura works well on VT and below, but on IT, it gets resisted. It does a 1-5 s terror on the monster (yes it freezes them in funny animations), and stuns their casting etc.
    Bah, even Geist Wall is resisted? I'm getting a little pissed at BLU spells that aren't damage based. I've never ever ever landed a Chaotic Eye (which has to be cast on the mobs front), both low level sleep spells are horribly unreliable often not landing or wearing off in seconds. Hopefully Pinecone Bomb will be better.

Not sure what you mean about headbutt though, stunned a lot of whirl or rages with it last night. It can be resisted unlike Stun, but the resists were pretty rare, and the MP cost and recast are both better than Stun.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by FFXIFlux
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanthalas
    Bah, even Geist Wall is resisted? I'm getting a little pissed at BLU spells that aren't damage based. I've never ever ever landed a Chaotic Eye (which has to be cast on the mobs front), both low level sleep spells are horribly unreliable often not landing or wearing off in seconds. Hopefully Pinecone Bomb will be better.

N
    Nope. Sucks.

E. Body
    BG Level

I've only been resisted on sheep song a few times out of the bajillion times I've used it, it owns :D

I'm wondering though if its possible to learn Jettatura and Fightful Roar in the lv40 capped zones? I'm having no luck yet :/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 649 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast