Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tidal Gates     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Tidal Gates

Decided to go exploring in Arrapago Reef to put my new map to the test, and I found some very interesting gates. I found three of them, none of them were able to be opened. It just said "The door is tightly shut." All of them were in hidden areas off the map, and one I died 4 times just to get to it (and then get back) since you have to run through a corridor with 3 true sight IT Lamia.

Here's some screenshots.

In other news, I found one of these bad boys too:

So anyway, anyone have any thoughts as to what to do with those gates? Discuss.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

It's possible the furthest one could be used if the undead ever capture the AC.

In Halvung, there are operating levers in the depths that take 5 and 6 members to open respectively, with that battle area being behind the last one (speculated, anyway).

I would assume the other two areas have something like this, and that's all I can think of for its use.

Another idea is future zones. I mean, there are plenty of closed off "zone" areas in nearly every large zone that look to have no use yet, until future patches.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

There's nothing behind most of those gates if you look at the zone in the dat files :( A lot of the gates literally just have a wall behind it. One leads to a big bc-like room. The room has another gate in the back leading to, you guessed it, a wall. I'm guessing these are for missions later on.

Banned.

BG Level

I already found where they keep prisioners, so it isn't that. All prisions seem to be free able via a rare/ex key trade.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

WizerdRemora already mentioned it, but perhaps they are used for the BC to recover the Astral Candescence or maybe touching some of them will give you one of the 2 key items they mentioned in order to access the BC (but only works if the beastmen have taken the Candescence of course).

[Recovering the Astral Candescence]
    In the event that the effort to defend Al Zahbi fails and the beastmen take the Astral Candescence, adventurers will be unable to earn bonus effects from Sanction. In such an event, the Empire of Aht Urhgan will order its subjects to concentrate on recovering the priceless item. The adventurers must then venture into the enemy base and seize the Astral Candescence from its place atop an astral plinth.

Order of Events for Recovery

1. After being taken from Al Zahbi, the Astral Candescence is placed on an astral plinth in the enemy base, and the beastmen and monsters there will receive certain effects.
    2. The area where the astral plinth is located will become a battlefield, requiring two key items for entry. These key items will be lost in the event that you log out or leave the area and must be reacquired before entering the battlefield.
    3. The battlefield will have no level restriction, but only six people may enter at a time.
    4. You can recover the Astral Candescence by defeating all the enemies in the battlefield during the specified amount of time (30 minutes) and checking the item located on the astral plinth.
    5. After recovering the Astral Candescence, you will be unable to reenter the astral plinth battlefield.

Falling in battle during the fight to recover the Astral Candescence will result in the loss of experience points. However, even should you fall in battle, the monster(s) in the battlefield will not fully recover, and the accumulated damage will carry over to the next battle.

Banned.

BG Level

Has anyone seen the zone .dats for the zone behind the Whitegate?

Quote Originally Posted by BRP
    I already found where they keep prisioners, so it isn't that. All prisions seem to be free able via a rare/ex key trade.
    Thief's Tools / Skeleton Keys work also. I tried trading a Skeleton Key to the gate and it said "There is no need to open the cage at this time."

Banned.

BG Level

Wow, thats awesome ;o. Thinking about it... THF should be able to open every door in the game with skeleton keys, even the odd ones for missions like library in Ugl Temple.

the new ancient machines that no one will know anything about for years D:

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by nivlakian
    WizerdRemora already mentioned it, but perhaps they are used for the BC to recover the Astral Candescence or maybe touching some of them will give you one of the 2 key items they mentioned in order to access the BC (but only works if the beastmen have taken the Candescence of course).

[Recovering the Astral Candescence]
    In the event that the effort to defend Al Zahbi fails and the beastmen take the Astral Candescence, adventurers will be unable to earn bonus effects from Sanction. In such an event, the Empire of Aht Urhgan will order its subjects to concentrate on recovering the priceless item. The adventurers must then venture into the enemy base and seize the Astral Candescence from its place atop an astral plinth.

Order of Events for Recovery

1. After being taken from Al Zahbi, the Astral Candescence is placed on an astral plinth in the enemy base, and the beastmen and monsters there will receive certain effects.
    2. The area where the astral plinth is located will become a battlefield, requiring two key items for entry. These key items will be lost in the event that you log out or leave the area and must be reacquired before entering the battlefield.
    3. The battlefield will have no level restriction, but only six people may enter at a time.
    4. You can recover the Astral Candescence by defeating all the enemies in the battlefield during the specified amount of time (30 minutes) and checking the item located on the astral plinth.
    5. After recovering the Astral Candescence, you will be unable to reenter the astral plinth battlefield.

Falling in battle during the fight to recover the Astral Candescence will result in the loss of experience points. However, even should you fall in battle, the monster(s) in the battlefield will not fully recover, and the accumulated damage will carry over to the next battle.
    Maybe the beastmen get an Exp Bonus and whatever like we do, and their forces will grow alot faster than normal if they get the Astal Candy!

Let's let them steal it (Along with the NPCs!)