+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Colbert Roasts Bush     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Raivyn
    I usually laugh a lot when I watch his show but this was nowhere near as funny to me
    That's cause the studio audience wasn't laughing.

I actually liked this better than his show (although the show has gotten a lot better; when he first started his jokes weren't funny and he stumbled on his words a lot). That guy has got some cajones.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Krylanna
    I usually laugh a lot when I watch his show but this was nowhere near as funny to me

I actually liked this better than his show (although the show has gotten a lot better; when he first started his jokes weren't funny and he stumbled on his words a lot). That guy has got some cajones.
    nah - I don't think it was that. I got the feeling he was trying to be more serious, ya know, rather than just lampooning things. I used to like the daily show a lot more too, and it went kind of the same way.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Krylanna

I don't think that Colbert's show has gotten any funnier; just that people are more used to his style of satire and can appreciate his brilliance.

He was funny on Strangers with Candy, he was funny on the Daily Show, he is beyond amazing on the Colbert Report.

I liked Stephen better when he was on the daily show. Rob Corddry is funny but he'll never be able to replace Stephen Colbert. I also don't like his style of humour on the Colbert Report that much. I mainly watch it just to see what todays word is.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by macbain24
    I liked Stephen better when he was on the daily show. Rob Corddry is funny but he'll never be able to replace Stephen Colbert. I also don't like his style of humour on the Colbert Report that much. I mainly watch it just to see what todays word is.
    I totally agree actually.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Sometimes it isn't about the humor, it's about telling your feelings to the president's face, and getting away with it under the disguise of being "just a comedian" Total brilliance.

I wish I could show that clip of John Stewart on that show...errr Hardball? Everyone expected him to be their for laughs, and he tore them to shreds, and proved that even though they may be comedians, they know what they're talking about. If I find the link I'll post it. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra
    Sometimes it isn't about the humor, it's about telling your feelings to the president's face, and getting away with it under the disguise of being "just a comedian" Total brilliance.

I wish I could show that clip of John Stewart on that show...errr Hardball? Everyone expected him to be their for laughs, and he tore them to shreds, and proved that even though they may be comedians, they know what they're talking about. If I find the link I'll post it. XD
    yespls

well in order to be a comedian that tells more than fart jokes, you actually have to have some intelligence, John Stewart and Stephen Colbert are both really smart guys who happen to be funny as well

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I think we can all agree that those are two very different situations though. Stewart on crossfire; he was invited to a political talk show, who would expect him to be there for laughs? The hosts were being tools. Colbert at a formal function: invited to come and lampoon the president, just didn't turn out too funny.

Basically the whole vibe was just different from his show, which was a bummer.

I was soooo hoping he would ask Bush if he accepted money from Jack Abramof (dunno spelling)

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

All the videos from that part of the dinner have been taken down on Youtube...

I did watch some clips of the dinner on tv and they were pretty funny.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I wish I had checked the General Discussion section earlier... Video was removed =/

Quote Originally Posted by Kuponut
    I wish I had checked the General Discussion section earlier... Video was removed =/
    Video was removed due to copyright infringement.

orz; ; i didn't get to see it.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I think we can all agree that those are two very different situations though. Stewart on crossfire; he was invited to a political talk show, who would expect him to be there for laughs? The hosts were being tools. Colbert at a formal function: invited to come and lampoon the president, just didn't turn out too funny.

Basically the whole vibe was just different from his show, which was a bummer.
    Well to your first question everyone. You say the hosts are tools but they were the ones running the show. Look at the topics they listed from the beginning, all things they though Stewart would have easy material to go on (and I bet they aren't even the ones who decided the topics). I don't think anyone who worked on that show thought that he was going to rip into them and beg them to stop being theatre and start being news. Do you honestly think the producers got him on the show for that? Incase you didn't know they've had other politcal comedians on the show in the past (Al Franklein I think more than once). And those comedians come on, say stuff that are related to the topics, but mostly focus on the humor side. I think that's what everyone was expecting.

I actually found Colbert's talk to be funny. For one I think he stepped on dangerous water that no other comedian has done in the past at this event. And iono seeing Bush pissed as Hell says to me Colbert stuck a nerve where other's haven't don't you think? I find that hysterical. XD

But of course comedy is all opinionated, I could see why people wouldn't think it's funny. It's all good.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Well to your first question everyone. You say the hosts are tools but they were the ones running the show. Look at the topics they listed from the beginning, all things they though Stewart would have easy material to go on (and I bet they aren't even the ones who decided the topics). I don't think anyone who worked on that show thought that he was going to rip into them and beg them to stop being theatre and start being news. Do you honestly think the producers got him on the show for that? Incase you didn't know they've had other politcal comedians on the show in the past (Al Franklein I think more than once). And those comedians come on, say stuff that are related to the topics, but mostly focus on the humor side. I think that's what everyone was expecting.

I actually found Colbert's talk to be funny. For one I think he stepped on dangerous water that no other comedian has done in the past at this event. And iono seeing Bush pissed as Hell says to me Colbert stuck a nerve where other's haven't don't you think? I find that hysterical. XD

But of course comedy is all opinionated, I could see why people wouldn't think it's funny. It's all good.
    Well its one thing to be made fun of on TV, its another to be in person at a formal event and have a room full of people laughing at you. Honestly I thought it was hilarious and he made alot of good points that this current adminastration does not like to hear.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Heian

Well its one thing to be made fun of on TV, its another to be in person at a formal event and have a room full of people laughing at you. Honestly I thought it was hilarious and he made alot of good points that this current adminastration does not like to hear.
    I totally agree. ^^

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Heian

I totally agree. ^^

Bush Administration "What a war in Iraq? when did this happen?"

Youtube blocked at school....

i get home, eager to watch....

removed due to copyright infringment....

fuck you bush.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

http://www.gorillamask.net > find topic on Colbert and bush, then when you open it link it for the others. (I cant since im on a work comp).