+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

[advice] I've been getting headaches :(

i've been getting headaches for a while now, normally when I am on the PC.

I've never had headaches before and they started recently (like a month ago or so)

I think that It could be my glasses since i have not gotten new ones for a while.

I also think it could be my monitor? The refresh rate maybe (60hz)

I've had it at that for a very long time and never had a problem. Could it be that all of a sudden my eyes want me to get adjusted to something higher?

Maybe something is growing in my brain? Like a tumor? ( )

I'm still waiting for my medical insurance to re-new so I can go to the doctor and get some MRI's done but I'm sure nothing is growing up there as I've had mri's done a few years back when I got hit by a SUV (7th grade, sued got some $$$ )

When I'm in school, I do work on the pc's over there and all is fine. I don't get any headaches etc. So I'm thinking it's my monitor....

Sea Torques
    BG Level

it's possible that your monitor clarity etc, or the distance you are from your monitor, or the lighting of the room is having an effect on this. Typically you don't want to stare at a bright monitor in a dark or dim room, this can cause problems. Also you don't want to be too close to the monitor. In addition, the clarity of the monitor may be causing your eyes to strain to see the image.

It is also possible that your computer chair is fucking up your spine and giving you tension headaches - where are your headaches located typically?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Raivyn
    it's possible that your monitor clarity etc, or the distance you are from your monitor, or the lighting of the room is having an effect on this. Typically you don't want to stare at a bright monitor in a dark or dim room, this can cause problems. Also you don't want to be too close to the monitor. In addition, the clarity of the monitor may be causing your eyes to strain to see the image.

It is also possible that your computer chair is fucking up your spine and giving you tension headaches - where are your headaches located typically?

around here

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/4509/brain5ev.jpg

top leftish side.

60hz is pretty standard refresh rate. You likely just need your eyes checked. You can also get one of those uv monitor screen thingies to put over your screen if you can't get your eyes checked yet. Those are cheap, and might help you out. Don't worry about an MRI just yet, I've heard there are signs of possible brain tumors that eye doctors can detect in a routine exam, just ask when you do go in. They'll at least have a recommendation for you if there's nothing that they can personally do.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

oh, i shoudl answer some of your questions.

I have a recliner chair as a pc chair and I'm usually a normal distance away from the computer monitor.

I never have the lights off during the night when I'm using the PC. It' something I'm used to.

It might be the clarity of the monitor.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Krylanna
    60hz is pretty standard refresh rate. You likely just need your eyes checked. You can also get one of those uv monitor screen thingies to put over your screen if you can't get your eyes checked yet. Those are cheap, and might help you out. Don't worry about an MRI just yet, I've heard there are signs of possible brain tumors that eye doctors can detect in a routine exam, just ask when you do go in. They'll at least have a recommendation for you if there's nothing that they can personally do.
    thanks. I agree and I think it's my eyes/glasses.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

If possible try to backlight your monitors. Most desks have a lamp that you can turn on behind the monitors and that is supposed to relieve eye stress.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.

I have a headache.

Maybe it's a tumor.

IT'S NOT A TUMAAA!

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

You have high blood pressure and mastubate too much.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quote Originally Posted by Anyway
    I have a headache.

Maybe it's a tumor.

IT'S NOT A TUMAAA!
    Kindergarden Cop <3

lcd or crt moniter?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I perscribe amputation.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

If you're typically reclined in your chair it could be the angle of your eyes and as you view the screen (ie: if you're looking more down your nose at the monitor)

It could also just be tension headache from your seated position - tension headaches tend to start in the neck and arch through the muscles on the back and sides of your head. These can be extremely painful and you may want to consider new seating or moving more often if you think this is the case.

This honestly sounds like it could be a chair/monitor problem since you said it does not happen at school. But perhaps it is more of a combination of factors. I agree you should get your eyes checked and see if you can get more clarity out of your monitor.

Also, try some excedrin or motrin and see if that helps your headache. If it does it is most likely a tension related headache.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Totien
    I perscribe amputation.
    hahahaha reminds me of that fucking aborted song.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

i think i found out where the headaches are coming from.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1649/room8gf.jpg

My light is located up there. I noticed a slight discomfort when (a slight hick up headache) when I looked at it from the corner of my eye. I turned it off and screwed in a blue light bulb and the headache is going away.

I'm still gonna get myself checked when my insurance re-news but I'm hope the problem was this. Also come to think of it, I think I think i've been getting these headaches during the night time only.

(crt monitor)

Just take it like a man

CRT's make me head hurt, not really a headach but just make my head feel like mush lol.

Your room looks like china shit, all packed together.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Do yourself a favor and get the refresh rate up to 85 Hz. I can't stand anything lower than that. Lower your resolution if you have to, or buy a better monitor if you want to run big desktop.

E. Body
    BG Level

Must be all those single emoticon posts that you make that are causing your headache :/

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMetal
    CRT's make me head hurt, not really a headach but just make my head feel like mush lol.

Your room looks like china shit, all packed together.
    it's actually a big room, i'm showing the area where my computer is at.