+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Xavier

PS3 - UK launch details announced

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6151565.html

I'll highlight for you.

Sony Computer Entertainment UK has confirmed that the retail price of the 60GB PlayStation 3 is currently planned to be £425 ($799) in the UK
    There is no guarantee that the cheaper 20GB console will be launched in the UK. "The lower-end 20GB version of PlayStation 3 has no Wi-Fi, no HDMI, and none of the other slots in it, so it's really a question of where we would position it. It's more likely that we will only launch the 60GB version"
    Sony is dumb.

You could buy 2 Wii's and a 360 for the cost of the PS3.

E. Body
    BG Level

But looking at the PS2 versus my GC and Xbox, I'd be buying twice the amount of Sony software than Nintendo/MS software, making my money well spent on the PS3, no?

Still, 425 is a hell of alot for a console. I remember when the Saturn launched for 400 and failed compared to the cheaper and superior PSone.

nice lol

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Did anyone read this yet? http://darkzero.co.uk/news.php?newsid=9807

Basicly Sony says that everyone would buy a PS3 even if they didnt make games for it.

They really are arrogant assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX

Basicly Sony says that everyone would buy a PS3 even if they didnt make games for it.

Fine line between arrogance and confidence. We'll eventually see wether or not they crossed that come the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockecole
    Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX

Fine line between arrogance and confidence. We'll eventually see wether or not they crossed that come the end of the year.
    That's arrogance, not cofidence. Nintendo had the same tone before the N64 launch, and look where it landed them.

It boggles the mind that Sony would actually launch at a price like that...but to not have any good launch titles and STILL expect people to buy it? That's just laughable.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Didn't ps2 launch at a similar price? I remember it being roughly 4000kr, which is about 655USD. I'll end up buying PS3 anyway, but will prob wait for MGS4 before buying it.

Xavier

Just to post the quote.

"[Sony] have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000" Following that he says "the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even it didn't have games."
    Pure arrogance.

Confidence is Tiger Woods saying hes more than likely to win a tournament. Arrogance is Tiger Woods saying hes going to win the tournament with only a putter in his bag.

Sony is claiming to be able to win the console wars with only a putter.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    Just to post the quote.

"[Sony] have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000" Following that he says "the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even it didn't have games."
    Pure arrogance.

Confidence is Tiger Woods saying hes more than likely to win a tournament. Arrogance is Tiger Woods saying hes going to win the tournament with only a putter in his bag.

Sony is claiming to be able to win the console wars with only a putter.
    Sure it looks like arrogance now, but like I said, until it launches, we won't know that for sure. Sony has lead since PS1, no reason to think it won't continue to lead even into PS3. Hence why I'm leaning towards confidance. Arrogance would be Microsoft and Nintendo saying the same thing. Both of them have something to prove, Sony doesn't. They've proven themselves time and time again in the past 10+ years. No reason to doubt themselves now.

Sure it's $600 in the US, but that doesnt mean its out of the reach of alot of people. You of all people should know that Xavier. The quote above was obviously an exaggeration, more of a metaphor of how WANTED their system will be, because of all of the options and intuitiveness they're adding to it. I think alot of us will be surprised with what it can do. It may not be worth $600, but I see that pricetag dropping soon.

Holy shit, £800, that's fucking alot...

I'm losing faith, I thought Sony would lower the price by now, I bet by christmas they will. What stupid marketing...

Sea Torques
    BG Level

The price's on shit are always higher in europe cause of taxes. In GB I think it's 14% taxes? Here in sweden we have 25%.

Yeah, conversions a bitch, that and we have the taxes already tagged onto the price...

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I cant wait to see Sony fail this time around.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

£400? LooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooL!
    Buhbye sony, you just lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerandir
    Didn't ps2 launch at a similar price? I remember it being roughly 4000kr, which is about 655USD. I'll end up buying PS3 anyway, but will prob wait for MGS4 before buying it.
    I got mine brand new a few days after release for $299.

But I'll sell you mine for $450... breaking my balls here but you have a kind face.

Sony is simply following a widely-accepted pricing strategy called "cream-of-the-crop" pricing. The first 5 million people to buy a PS3 will have no problem paying $600. And if you look at the company's distribution schedule, by this time next year when around 10 million PS3's are in circulation, it isn't unreasonable to expect that the price of the system will be lower, to appeal to the general market.

When a new gadget comes out, smart companies charge the first adopters the highest price, because they're willing to pay it. When supply outstrips the first adopter demand and you have to start marketing it to the general market or even late adopters, you drop the price.

This happens for two reasons: first, these new folks aren't willing to pay top dollar, and secondly, your production facilities have begun to achieve economies that lower the cost of producing your project. Maybe they've advanced further along the experience learning curve, or maybe you've redesigned the internal components of the system to be less expensive; fact is, it will get cheaper for Sony to make the PS3 over time because they're an electronics company and designing and building systems is what they do best.

By the time most people in this thread, excepting those who are very wealthy and/or well-connected with a major retailer, get their hands on a PS3, they won't be paying $600 for it. Not even close.

PS1 and PS2 have outsold every nintendo system ever made, put together. Of course there are 5 million people in the world waiting to pay $600 for a PS3. There are probably 5 million people waiting to pay $1000, but beyond a certain point you start to get really bad press and anger the first adopters who see people buying a system they got one year ago for half the price (in late 2007). Sony isn't arrogant, it's smart, and it's following tactics that anyone with an education in business has learned in basic production management and organizational strategy classes.

Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by Aerandir
    launched at a similar price if you consider e-bay a retailer.

This is yet another reason why the PS3 is launching at such a high price. Why let the eBay scalpers get their hands on that kind of money? Sony is just pre-empting them by launching at the price that PS3's would be selling for on eBay if it launched at, say, $400.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Marquisate
    This is yet another reason why the PS3 is launching at such a high price. Why let the eBay scalpers get their hands on that kind of money? Sony is just pre-empting them by launching at the price that PS3's would be selling for on eBay if it launched at, say, $400.
    You do realize it will be sold on ebay for $900~1k? Right?

Yes, I do. But it would be harder to sell 5-10 million units at that price; Sony didn't pull $600 out if its corporate ass, it reached that figure through market research and cost analysis. In addition, if the company launched at $1000 there would be other consequences, as I mentioned in my previous post. Namely, pissing off first adopters if the price dropped massively on later units and also generating more bad press for the company. Given how much criticism it has received over the $600 figure, you can only imagine how bad it would be had they chosen to launch at $1000 (if they could even generate demand concomitant with their production schedule at that price).