Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Flying Scotsman
    BG Level

Criticism on how to build my WAR

Ok, so I started out as a WAR, went to 15, decided "Wow, this blows. This sword stuff is weak sauce. I'm gonna try WHM." WHM to 75. 75 of the most boring, grinding levels possible, fraught with the dangers of retards at every turn. WHM gets a few merits, and Mel decides that this too, sucks out loud and in person. Back to WAR. For some reason, after pushing WAR to 40, it started getting fun. Really fun. In fact, I'll even go so far as to say "Fuck you WHM job, WAR gives me way better sex." I've had WAR at 75 for a while now, and after a leveling blitz to satisfy some new LS rule(You can't bid more than 5 points on something you can't wear that day) its come time to build the job into the refined killing machine I strive to be. I posted this already on our LS forums, but I thought that the range of insight and direction I might get here from the considerably larger base would give me a better idea of which way to proceed.

The main themes I'm looking at building around are Double Attack and Haste, emphasizing greater DoT as opposed to how hard I can jack out a Rampage once in a blue moon. With that in mind, the gear selection I've put together as a first draft is the following:

Weapons: Axe/Axe, no swords for me. I'll never own a Ridill, not likely to own a Joyeuse either.

Maneater Main hand (Latent effect below 100TP DMG 49)
    Woodville's Axe Off Hand (DMG 50 Spell interrupt rate down)

Armor: Idea is for haste build to make up for TP gain from longer delay in Axe/Axe as opposed to /Sword

Byakko's Haidate + Wally Turban for Haste (a Hank ripoff, sue me)

Brutal Earring for Double Attack, Suppa because its just a solid piece.

AFV1 Boots for Double Attack

I'm still at an impasse when it comes to AF1 Hands vs Enkelados' Bracelets. I'm tempted to think that the huge DEX boost from the Haidates will more than compensate for the Enkelados penalty, but I'm not certain as I haven't tested it yet.

I kind of like Hank's WS gorget from Sea, so I think I'll add to my list here. Short of that, the Chivalrous Chain looks really good as well.

Forager's Mantle: I've wanted one of these for a while, and it seems to be a better investment for my uses than an Amemet +1.

Obviously, there is a lot of gil-raising to be done towards this goal, along with Sea access. This is a first draft, and I'd appreciate any well-informed and intelligent feedback on my gear choices, and any insight as to how and what I should prioritize.

Why would you put Maneater in your mainhand? The latent works in offhand.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Re: Criticism on how to build my WAR

Quote Originally Posted by Melchiah
    The main themes I'm looking at building around are Double Attack and Haste, emphasizing greater DoT as opposed to how hard I can jack out a Rampage once in a blue moon. With that in mind, the gear selection I've put together as a first draft is the following:
    Macro swap >_>

Armor: If you think anything else but an haub do the job, you should quit war. Swap n.body if you can for ws, otherwise keep hauberk full time.

Pant: Haidate duh, macro something else for WS (I use war af2, but there is better)

Boot: unicorn/barone are still better imo

Head: swap something else for ws

Hand: Skip enk. go or af2 or af1

Well, the gear setup looks fine to me, but a quick question... Why use Maneater mainhanded if you're using Woodvilles? Woodvilles has higher base damage, which will boost your Rampage damage (even if only by a little, but it's nothing too strenuous, right?).

The rest looks just fine. Enkelados's are great, ignore the DEX penalty, it won't make a significant difference. Turban and Haidate is definitely the way to go for the Haste+10%, Brutal and Suppanomimi is a great combination. Chivalrous Chain will work well with the Store TP+1 and ACC+5 both on the same piece of equipment, which is nice. Also, the gorget as you mentioned works very well apparantly, with multi-hit WSes, so getting that would be a great addition. Obviously I can't quite offer much input on that currently.

Also, what do you intend on doing with merits? Any ideas so far..?

Since two axes, I guess af1 feet are ok.. but I think adaman are better for TP gain.

Use dusk gloves for TP gain if you can afford them.

The Flying Scotsman
    BG Level

So I'm a retard and didn't pay closer attention to the DMG vs Delay on the manny/woody. Manny being lower damage, lower delay, logic dictates it should go in the offhand.

Kaylia: Suggest macro in Ohat for Rampage, then back to turban for TP gain? I hate to admit this, but I'm still working with a Haubergeon for the time being. The 10 EVA isn't worth another 4M on my priority list at the moment. That is way on the backburner. Hauberk vs Haubergeon is a detail to me at this point.

Parshath: On my last Crit Up merit right now, next thing I was looking at is Double Attack, followed by Axe skill, then Zerk timer.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Get 3-4 axe first at least for merit party. And do 2berserk/2aggresor. You don't want to unsynchronize both.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If you're able to get byakko haidate, chances are you'll be able to get some hecatomb gear (hands and feet from sky).

For DoT, If you're unable to get your hands on a pair of adaman things (forgotr mufflers) then first choise would be dusk followed by AF2.

If you're eating sushi, screw the Ohat and put on a hecatomb hat(fafnir) or a adaman celata(sky)

Feet, Adaman (sky) or war jse (haste+3%)

Well regarding Haubergeon vs. Hauberk, it's pretty much a moot point. I still use Haubergeon as my SAM can use it, and I'm not going to fork out another 4mil or so because it looks slightly cooler and it doesn't have the AGI and EVA loss.

As for merits, I'd say definitely go for 5 Double Attack merits if you're adamant about the Axe/Axe combo. Then I'd probably go for 8/8 Axe merits and then 2 Berserk/2 Aggressor as Kaylia already mentioned.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Parshath
    Well regarding Haubergeon vs. Hauberk, it's pretty much a moot point. I still use Haubergeon as my SAM can use it, and I'm not going to fork out another 4mil or so because it looks slightly cooler and it doesn't have the AGI and EVA loss.

As for merits, I'd say definitely go for 5 Double Attack merits if you're adamant about the Axe/Axe combo. Then I'd probably go for 8/8 Axe merits and then 2 Berserk/2 Aggressor as Kaylia already mentioned.

fucking galkas.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zigma

fucking galkas.
    lol... pretty sure its for the l33t... but that sucks if you cant beat that Zigma.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Sadler

fucking galkas.
    lol... pretty sure its for the l33t... but that sucks if you cant beat that Zigma.
    I'm a taru. I can't go over 1.1k and I have a very very good steel cyclone setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadler

fucking galkas.
    I'm a taru. I can't go over 1.1k and I have a very very good steel cyclone setup.
    lol I was borrowing Alkys from a friend and using Osode. Here:

Just stick the Alkys and Osode in there, you can do the maths I don't see how you can't break 1.1k Zigma, since you have much better gear at your disposal >.>

Ninja edit: This is with maxed DA merits, and only 1 merit in Critical Rate.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

steel cyclone seems to suck (at least for me) on byakko

i get like 1100-1300, whereas on seiryu it just utterly destroys him

and 1100-1300, that's with 74+68 STR or whatever i have right now and berserk

here's a nubby question that i've never seen anyone ask before, when you crit on a WS, does that pretty much negate berserk's attack+? i've never seen a huge difference with berserk up/down when i sneak attack shit like steel cyclone/ground strike

Well I feel sure as hell poor looking at the armor Damn taru strippers, you keep taking my customers away and I'll never get that Hauberk

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fusi Thassarian
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Silvermoon

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I am pretty sure a taru on our server called "Break" can break the 1300 barrier without breaking a sweat everytime...

Most ive done on Byakko was 1692... with no GA merits.

People just fail

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Reality
    steel cyclone seems to suck (at least for me) on byakko

i get like 1100-1300, whereas on seiryu it just utterly destroys him

and 1100-1300, that's with 74+68 STR or whatever i have right now and berserk

here's a nubby question that i've never seen anyone ask before, when you crit on a WS, does that pretty much negate berserk's attack+? i've never seen a huge difference with berserk up/down when i sneak attack shit like steel cyclone/ground strike
    berserk definately helps even with sata. Ive always seen an added dmg on my raging rush or steel cyclone with berserk. since this thread is about equips etc. id like to hear what you guys think about best feet equip for Jin? yes im Hume but id rather not pay 5mil for hume rse2 i was thianking either:

Rutter Sabatons
    Level: 67
    Flags: Rare / Exclusive
    Slot: Feet
    Type: Armor: Plate
    Jobs: BRD BLU BST COR DRK DRG NIN PLD RDM RNG SAM THF WAR
    Races: All
    Defense: 16
    Equipment Category:
    Armor / Feet
    Effects for Rutter Sabatons:
    Strength +3
    Vitality +2
    Attack +5
    Slow +2%

or

Pahluwan Crackows
    Level: 72
    Flags: Rare / Exclusive
    Slot: Feet
    Type: Armor: Leather
    Jobs: BST COR DRG MNK NIN PUP RDM RNG THF
    Races: All
    Defense: 13
    Equipment Category:
    Armor / Feet
    Comments for Pahluwan Crackows: Set: Enhances "Subtle Blow" effect
    Effects for Pahluwan Crackows:
    Dexterity +4
    Accuracy +3
    Ranged Accuracy +3

thought id ask around before i actually spent the time doing assault. >_>

PS: i know this isnt KI but id like to hear BG forums opinions sry ><

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

I would (and do) use Rutter Sabatons without question for Jin.

lol I was borrowing Alkys from a friend and using Osode. Here:

Don't have a Kabuto yet? I suggest you make your LS get on that ASAP. Kabuto owns for SC damage.