Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hysteric Barrage     submit to reddit submit to twitter

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Hysteric Barrage

I'm currently 0/60+ on learning this spell. I had a few questions, due to the conflict of information I'm getting from various sources. Please corroborate and discuss the following, which I've heard. I want to get this straight so I don't waste time.

1. "You can learn from Lamia, but not Merrow."
    2. "You have to make the mob drop its weapon, go into Hand to Hand mode, and then it will use Hysteric Barrage."
    3. "To make the mob drop its weapon, you need to use a critical hit attack."
    4. "Blade: Ku makes mob drop its weapon."

I'm not sure what's true and what's not, please advise.

Also, where's the best place to find these damn mobs.... Everything in Arrapago Reef is T-VT for me at 71. Are there easier ones?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

New Merits
    BG Level

dont forget these

5. spin around 5 times then clap 2 times to make it drop weapon
    6. gotta fight with no head and body gear on, but guild glasses are ok
    7. fight in weakened mode

You can learn this from Lamia #13 =]

E. Body
    BG Level

I posted how to make Lamia drop their weapon in the BLU job findings thread.

Just use a WS as the Lamia is attacking, so that you knock off it's weapon. Merrows give tail slap, Lamias give H. Barrage.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Razz
    I posted how to make Lamia drop their weapon in the BLU job findings thread.

Just use a WS as the Lamia is attacking, so that you knock off it's weapon.
    What he said.

For any of the moves you need to learn where the mob is required to drop it's weapon, just time a weapon skill to hit as the mob is swinging it's weapon at you. I believe crits works as well but obviously there's no way you can time or force that, it'll just happen and you can consider yourself lucky. Don't forget that these mobs will pull out their weapon again after a certain amount of time so try knocking it away around their TP for maximum efficiency. It's tricky to start with but eventually it'll just be second nature to you. Whenever I do the Mamool Ja Assaults now I always knock their Sword away to save myself from shadow-raping Vorpal Blade just because.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Awesome information. Thank you.

Re: Hysteric Barrage

Statement number 1 is not true. Both lamia and merrow will use Hysteric Barrage if you make them drop their weapons. Also, like others have said, crit hits and timed ws will make the mobs drop their weapons if they hit at the correct time, ie when the mob is swinging at you. You can do this from any angle, btw. No need to stand behind them. I can't comment on Blade: Ku, but I assume it works like other ws re: weapon dropping.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanthalas
    I'm currently 0/60+ on learning this spell. I had a few questions, due to the conflict of information I'm getting from various sources. Please corroborate and discuss the following, which I've heard. I want to get this straight so I don't waste time.

2. "You have to make the mob drop its weapon, go into Hand to Hand mode, and then it will use Hysteric Barrage."

Also, where's the best place to find these damn mobs.... Everything in Arrapago Reef is T-VT for me at 71. Are there easier ones?

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Caocao
    Statement number 1 is not true. Both lamia and merrow will use Hysteric Barrage if you make them drop their weapons. Also, like others have said, crit hits and timed ws will make the mobs drop their weapons if they hit at the correct time, ie when the mob is swinging at you. You can do this from any angle, btw. No need to stand behind them. I can't comment on Blade: Ku, but I assume it works like other ws re: weapon dropping.

Just because Merrows use it too doesn't mean you can learn it from them.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by WizerdRemora
    Quote Originally Posted by Caocao

Just because Merrows use it too doesn't mean you can learn it from them.
    Can you learn more than one ability from the same mob type? e.g. fighting a Lamia might earn you Tail Slap or Hysteric Barrage, and if you keep fighting Lamiae and never Merrow, you will eventually learn both.

If the answer to that is yes, then can you learn a particular ability from more than one mob type? e.g. you can learn Power Attack from either Beetles or Gigas (which also offer Grand Slam).

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    Can you learn more than one ability from the same mob type? e.g. fighting a Lamia might earn you Tail Slap or Hysteric Barrage, and if you keep fighting Lamiae and never Merrow, you will eventually learn both.
    No

E. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberfoxx
    No
    Erm yes you can.

Trolls give diamond hide and enervation, mamoojas give warm up and fire spit.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I was under the impression you learn those from the 2 different types of those mobs, like the Armored trolls give Diamondhide and the unarmored ones give Enervation

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor
    I was under the impression you learn those from the 2 different types of those mobs, like the Armored trolls give Diamondhide and the unarmored ones give Enervation
    Makes sense.
    If the answer to that is yes, then can you learn a particular ability from more than one mob type? e.g. you can learn Power Attack from either Beetles or Gigas (which also offer Grand Slam).
    Lmfao.

/nod
    same that mamools mages gives firespit and melees warm-up.

E. Body
    BG Level

Yeah that makes sense, but I was saying that one mob race can give more than one spell, like trolls and mamools. But mandies can't give wild oats AND headbutt.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

The only mob types that you can learn more than one Blue Magic from are the new beastmen I believe.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Thanks again Russta for your excellent advice regarding using WS to "break" the weapon used. Is this same strategy advisable for Mamool Ja and Qutrub to trigger their WS?