View Poll Results: What did you think of The Da Vinci Code?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • It was alright.

15 37.50%
  • Loved it!

9 22.50%
  • The book was better.

16 40.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level

The Da Vinci Code (Might contain spoilers)

For the people who saw the movie, what did you think?

Book vs Movie, yadda yadda.

Personally I loved it. Makes me want to go read the book. ^^

I enjoyed it, even if it's not someting I'd watch over and over and over again. I asks a lot of questions and presents a lot of theories that have been around for about half a century, but it tells them through a good story that'll reach a more mainstream audience than the works it's based on. Hopefully people will be able to read between the lines and see some of the messages the movie attempts to convey. Sadly, I think the people that need to hear those kinds of messages the most are the people that are unable to interpret the message behind what they're watching or reading.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Obviously the book was better(when has the book not been better?) but I still really liked the movie. It was very true to the book, with a few exceptions, like when Sofie and Langdon used that guys phone instead of going to the library.

I liked it, good story as long as you keep in mind that it is fiction. Still though, all of that stuff was very interesting to think about, even if it's not real.

Also, don't turn this into a religious battle, the disclaimer in the book and in the movie state that it is fiction and being a Christian, that movie would go against everything I believe and moreso. However, instead of being a douchefag and making a big deal about how it would be blasphemous and all that, I'm just going to say it was an interesting story and leave it at that.

So remember folks, it's fiction and not fact.

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

book was spectacular

movie put me to sleep

You know, that entire post was asking for discussion on the topic. Why remind us multiple times that a movie is a work of fiction? Does everyone not already know this already? I'm sure most people don't go to the movies to watch historical documentaries.

It's really a pointless debate to get into, anyway. Even if the movie was based on truth, it wouldn't make it any more or less meaningful. If you look at mankind's history, the most beautiful and meaningful of man's work has all been in the realm of fantasy. In short; the truth is most often conveyed through the phenominal.

Quote Originally Posted by Daahan
    book was spectacular

movie put me to sleep
    Seconded.

Ok, but really long and drawn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbelina
    I liked it, good story as long as you keep in mind that it is fiction. Still though, all of that stuff was very interesting to think about, even if it's not real.

Also, don't turn this into a religious battle, the disclaimer in the book and in the movie state that it is fiction and being a Christian, that movie would go against everything I believe and moreso. However, instead of being a douchefag and making a big deal about how it would be blasphemous and all that, I'm just going to say it was an interesting story and leave it at that.

The funny thing is, there's more fiction in the bible than in The DaVinci Code.

I'm not starting a holy war either, i don't care what people choose to believe or not, just stating something i find ironic.

I haven't seen the movie yet, i've been studying abroad in spain since may 3rd and don't wanna see it in spanish so i gotta wait til i get home to see it. But i've read the book and i'm very anxious to go see how it is on screen.

For anyone who enjoys reading similar type stories, "The Last Templar" was a decent book that works in similar fashion to some of dan browns books. It wasn't overly spectacular or as well written as Dan Browns books are, but it's still a fun read.

Book was great. Movie tried to stick to the book way too much, which resulted in way too much boring dialogue. I didn't expect the movie to be fabulous or anything though seeing as half the book was inside Langdon's head trying to figure out the next clue or whatever, wasn't sure how they'd make that a movie.

Not a bad movie, not a good one either. I describe it as like watching the history channel. Ian Mckellan(sp) put on a good performance I thought. The end when Tom Hanks said "Godspeed" I was like what the fuck gay.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

I have heard mix reviews on it. I will just wait for it to come out on dvd. I have been a fan of the Dan Brown books for 6 months. I am currently reading Deception Point. But I cant wait for the 3rd book starring Robert Landon "The Salamons Key" (sp?).

Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by Anyway
    Ian Mckellan(sp) put on a good performance I thought.
    I thought he did too.

I'm one of 5 people who saw the movie before reading the book. Enjoyed the movie enough to go out and buy the book, about to start reading it to see what was changed/cut out.

The one thing that really irked me though about the books story is that....I don't see how jesus having married mary and had a child would exactly unravel Christianity. The whole idea that if Christ was just a man that somehow the authority of the Church would vanish didn't really make sense to me.

I've always considered Jesus to be mortal, just a man who did something absolutely amazing with his life and changed the course of history. Was he the son of God? Its a matter of faith. The idea of him having a child doesn't really affect my belief in the religion, one way or another. I dunno, the entire movie I was kinda just going, "doesn't seem like that big of a deal" as far as the plot was concerned. Still liked the movie though.

Then you're not a Catholic, that's the problem. They refer to him as a God walking on earth, not a mortal.

Edit: And also theoretically, wouldn't there be no need for a Pope? If there's a direct descendant of Jesus Christ then...

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    Ian Mckellan(sp) put on a good performance I thought.
    I thought he did too.

I'm one of 5 people who saw the movie before reading the book. Enjoyed the movie enough to go out and buy the book, about to start reading it to see what was changed/cut out.

The one thing that really irked me though about the books story is that....I don't see how jesus having married mary and had a child would exactly unravel Christianity. The whole idea that if Christ was just a man that somehow the authority of the Church would vanish didn't really make sense to me.

I've always considered Jesus to be mortal, just a man who did something absolutely amazing with his life and changed the course of history. Was he the son of God? Its a matter of faith. The idea of him having a child doesn't really affect my belief in the religion, one way or another. I dunno, the entire movie I was kinda just going, "doesn't seem like that big of a deal" as far as the plot was concerned. Still liked the movie though.
    Thats why I love Dogma, raises so many questions that most people will never think of or ask. Churches/Religions are made by man not god, just keep that one in mind. You do not need a priest/church to "talk to god"

A thing that bugged me about the movie (and probably the book, I haven't read it) is that they solved a bit too much, everything was fine but I didn't like they solved that the girl was Jesus' decendant (if you're reading this topic and haven't read the book or watched the movie then you're an idiot). Then there was the stupid jokes they were making and her joking about walking on water, it was just lame.

But I did like how he found Mary's tomb or whatever you call it, that was about the only thing I felt needed dire solving, I think that bit with the girl ruined the entire movie for me, which I enjoyed up to that point.

As for the religous aspect, I wouldn't get uppity about it either, but I can see why christians or catholics would find it offensive. It was basically calling their faith a lie (which is how I interprited it)..

Still, a good movie about 7.5/10

Then you're not a Catholic, that's the problem. They refer to him as a God walking on earth, not a mortal.

Edit: And also theoretically, wouldn't there be no need for a Pope? If there's a direct descendant of Jesus Christ then...
    Renaissance popes were pretty shitty. Read March of Folly. Has lots of information how crappy the papacy was during that time. Kind of explains the reason why people like Martin Luther and a dozen others decided to try another route for faith.

Our societies overall view of God can be best compared to the various stages of a person's relationship with Santa Claus:

1) Child actually believes that Santa is a big man with a white beard who comes down his chimney to give him presents hand crafted by elves before returning to the North Pole.

2) Child discovers that Santa is not really a big white bearded man from the North Pole and ceases to believe in him (often times mocking others that still do).

3) The child growns up and becomes an adult. Adult has a child of his own and pretends that Santa Claus is real for their benefit even though he do not believe Santa really exists.

4) Adult again realises the reality of Santa Clause. Not as a big man from the North Pole with a white beard, but as an idea that works through others in a very real and physical way that spreads happiness and celebration to children. The adult realises, finally, the Santa is real, just not in the context he originally believed him to be.

Once people realise that the "facts" in the Bible aren't what is so important about it, they'll once again focus on aspects that are meaningful to us all. The DaVinci Code hinted at this ideology. The female lead, upon discovering herself to be of the bloodline of Christ, was forced into this position. Did this destroy her faith? No. Because it wasn't the mortal life of the Jewish leader that concerned her, but the teachings that remained behind.

Do the lessons of the Greek Gods no longer ring true because they are no longer believed to exist? No. The stories carry the same messages they always have. Truths that only ever used the Gods as icons to represent the ideas and beliefs that we still live by today.

My problem with organized religons is that they were created to control people, and spent the better part of the last 2000 years doing just that.

I don't have a problem with people who are religious, if you want to have faith in a fairy tale, go right ahead. I can live a moral life without believing in santa claus.

i have a lot of friends who are religious, i go to a very strict methodist school, and it just suprises me how close-minded people are. I get scrutenized for being an atheist by people who really think the world has only existed for 6000 years or whatever cause that's what it says in the bible.

It never ceases to amaze me that 2000 years later, a story told by mouth has had so much staying power. The first gospel was written 40 some odd years after jesus' death. The bible wasn't' even canonized until 450+/- AD.

If you told someone today the same story by mouth that was told back then, you'd get put in a straight jacket and medicated for the rest of your life. The only reason people believed it back then was due to lack of intelligence and general knowledge of the world.

I'm not trying to bash peoples faith, you have a right to believe whatever you want. It's just interesting to me as a student of psychology how much people 'need' to have relgion.

Back on topic! Angels and Demons also kicked ass, if you like DaVinci code, i highly recommend reading that as well. I've read deception point which has different characters and story, but it was also a very good Dan Brown book. I plan to read Digital Fortress as soon as my friend finishes it.

What else do people like reading, i love to read i just don't exactly go out of my way to find good books.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaede
    Our societies overall view of God can be best compared to the various stages of a person's relationship with Santa Claus:

1) Child actually believes that Santa is a big man with a white beard who comes down his chimney to give him presents hand crafted by elves before returning to the North Pole.

2) Child discovers that Santa is not really a big white bearded man from the North Pole and ceases to believe in him (often times mocking others that still do).

3) The child growns up and becomes an adult. Adult has a child of his own and pretends that Santa Claus is real for their benefit even though he do not believe Santa really exists.

4) Adult again realises the reality of Santa Clause. Not as a big man from the North Pole with a white beard, but as an idea that works through others in a very real and physical way that spreads happiness and celebration to children. The adult realises, finally, the Santa is real, just not in the context he originally believed him to be.

Once people realise that the "facts" in the Bible aren't what is so important about it, they'll once again focus on aspects that are meaningful to us all. The DaVinci Code hinted at this ideology. The female lead, upon discovering herself to be of the bloodline of Christ, was forced into this position. Did this destroy her faith? No. Because it wasn't the mortal life of the Jewish leader that concerned her, but the teachings that remained behind.

Do the lessons of the Greek Gods no longer ring true because they are no longer believed to exist? No. The stories carry the same messages they always have. Truths that only ever used the Gods as icons to represent the ideas and beliefs that we still live by today.
    sack of lies!!! Everything written in the bible should be taken word for word as we interpret it today!!!

#4 was good though, props.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrick
    Renaissance popes were pretty shitty.
    I was informed once that once of the popes around the 14th or 15th century died of complications from syphillis. Part of me wants to say it was one of the Innocents, but methinks that might be a bit too heavy on the irony.

I would like to see the next 5 seconds of film clip after Anyway's sig. Any chance that's available somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd
    Quote Originally Posted by Demetrick
    Renaissance popes were pretty shitty.
    I was informed once that once of the popes around the 14th or 15th century died of complications from syphillis.

I would like to see the next 5 seconds of film clip after Anyway's sig. Any chance that's available somewhere?
    Read the book, at least the chapter about the popes. Syphillis she didn't mention, but they all were self-promoting, money-grubbing whores. They bent all the rules that the church had at the time as they saw fit. She makes a really good point that the popes during that time, if they made a list of the 100 responsibilities that the pope has, spreading the message of god would probably not make it.
    I don't think there would be many branches from catholicism, at least not popular ones, if these popes had been halfway decent people.