Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Genosync
    take out your HD, move it to a friend's PS2

install the expansion

gg

edit: I don't use ps2 or know anything about it w/ FFXI and the HD or claim at that indeed works TEST AT YOUR OWN RISK
    Doesnt work. :3 For some retarded reason, when you put the HD in and install it - it suddenly only magically works with.. THAT PS2! So if you try to swap HDs into another PS2, it'll go "Wtf? I don't remember this one. Put me back in the old broken one." - So you have to reformat and install again.

I remember first time i explored the innards of a ps2 i messed with that little white gear that controlled the laser, never got it set right again

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Well if you already have or was planning on getting a 360, I would tell you to get it for that since it's the best console version.

If you have a good pc though get it for that instead.

I would try to avoid getting another ps2 because you'll probably only get to buy used ones since the new flat ones don't work with the HDD.

I just generally don't like buying used electronics of any kind, just used games I guess.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Alright first off, people need to calm down about PS2 breaking because of improper care, they are extremely shoddy pieces of crap. Mine began having disk read errors on CDS (not dvds), first gen one about 6 months in, I keep almost all my stuff in perfect condition, no scratches, dust free proper vents etc etc. While I worked in a game store when the PS2 was new, no other system had nearly as many returns. It got to the point where I stopped testing them and just did returns for people it was pretty bad. I'm on my second PS2 and ended up just hooking up a hard drive to it and storing the games using the HD program.

My Xbox and Cube have been rock solid since I've gotten them. The original playstation was also notorious for crappy design, especially the plastic piece of crap laser they used. (for those who used to flip theirs upside down).

My husband had a PS2 (actually I think it's on the floor of the bedroom closet now being sat on by the cat) that was in the first batch of consoles shipped in the US. He was in high school at the time he got it, didn't know any better than to buy first edition electronics. But he was totally anal about taking care of his stuff, every game in pristine condition etc. That console lasted far longer than it probably should have.

Anyway, apparently watching DVDs on your PS2 completely and utterly destroys the disc reading mechanism. It slowly stopped working for PSX games, and finally wouldn't even read PS2 games. We didn't notice until we quit playing FFXI and started actually playing real games again. Cleaning the laser with a q-tip and contact solution worked for a while, but it started showing the same symptoms again. It got to the point even turning it over didn't help.

We have one of the newfangled slim ones now and it works pretty well, but it won't play Super Puzzle Fighter. All the other PSX games work fine. Never letting a DVD touch the disc drive again though. If you must play that FFXI x-pack, get a 360 or possibly look into modding a PS2 to accept a hard drive from another machine, I'm sure someone has figured out how to do that.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by solsovly
    Alright first off, people need to calm down about PS2 breaking because of improper care, they are extremely shoddy pieces of crap. Mine began having disk read errors on CDS (not dvds), first gen one about 6 months in, I keep almost all my stuff in perfect condition, no scratches, dust free proper vents etc etc. While I worked in a game store when the PS2 was new, no other system had nearly as many returns. It got to the point where I stopped testing them and just did returns for people it was pretty bad. I'm on my second PS2 and ended up just hooking up a hard drive to it and storing the games using the HD program.

My Xbox and Cube have been rock solid since I've gotten them. The original playstation was also notorious for crappy design, especially the plastic piece of crap laser they used. (for those who used to flip theirs upside down).
    Go go $600 Piece of Shit 3!