Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    E. Body
    BG Level

Expansion Areas and Nation-Specific Gear

I had a quick question about how Nation Specific Gear, i.e. Master Caster's Mitts, Praefectus Gloves, basically anything that says "...inside nation's own control," or "...outside own nation's control," works with expansion areas. I guess also, I'm wondering if it works in sea (since mob drop clusters and I don't think Al'Tiaeu is subject to signet).

The two specific items mentioned above (MC Mitts / Pr. Gloves) would be that much nicer if they work in expansion areas because of the technicality of sanction v. signet.

Anyone able to give some insight?

They work in sea, they don't work in ToA areas.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

If you wear sanction and go to old areas the items will work there with sanction on. ToAU Areas are a no go whatever you do.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Perhaps if enough people would whine then SE would "fix" it. Sorta like they did when they "fixed" beseiged to make it more challenging. Then we have people complaining how they lost because it's too hard.

Would be nice to use all the outside of nation items in new areas though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyramion
    If you wear sanction and go to old areas the items will work there with sanction on. ToAU Areas are a no go whatever you do.
    In other words are you saying items which say "outside of nations control" do not get the bonus in ToAU areas? Or do they only get the effect with Sanction?

Quote Originally Posted by Po
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyramion
    In other words are you saying items which say "outside of nations control" do not get the bonus in ToAU areas? Or do they only get the effect with Sanction?
    Plz to reading comprehend

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I have Rep Gold Medal for my SMN. With Sanction, in old areas...I get 50 MP if Bastok is not in control (which is like 100% of the time). With sanction in new areas....no go on the 50 MP.

Oddly...I went to Cerberus as SMN, with Signet on from a previous xp party on another job....and I got the 50 MP. My normal MP/HP build has 1203 MP with Rep. Gold Medal active....and I had 1203 at Cerberus, without anything different than normal, and no food. But, it was Signet, and not sanction, that I had on at the time. So frankly...I dunno wtf is going on. Maybe some items do work, but others dont, which is obviously a programming error.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

I get the VIT and Defense bonuses on my Praefectus gloves in Assault...skills don't show up but they never do. Haven't tried them outside of assault though.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Skill bonuses ( ____ skill + #) do show up under combat/magic skills.

btw~ I can also vouch that Sanction does count as Signet as far as conquest-related items are concerned when you are in any non-ToAU areas, but no Signet nor Sanction will trigger the latent in ToAU zones.

It's a bit of common sense for the latter part. 'Conquest' is the 3 cities' competition over control over the areas on the CONQUEST map. An item that gives you a bonus in an area outside your home nation's control is supposed to act as a boost to help your nation gain control in said area. Items that work only inside home nations control act as a bonus for maintaining control of the area for your nation. Neither of these concepts can be applied to ToAU zones since they are of no concern whatsoever to your nation's conquest campaign.

The only inexplainable part is why Sanction counts as Signet to these items while inside Conquest-related areas... maybe something the developers overlooked?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko
    The only inexplainable part is why Sanction counts as Signet to these items while inside Conquest-related areas... maybe something the developers overlooked?
    The developers overlooked something? Say it isn't so.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Skill bonuses ( ____ skill + #) do show up under combat/magic skills.
    My Shield is displayed as "309" in my combat skill menu.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Sendra
    My Shield is displayed as "309" in my combat skill menu.
    You misunderstood...
    For example:

Say my singing skill is capped at 250, under magic skills, it will say:

"Singing skill: 250"

Wearing an item with "Singing skill +5" will show up as:

"Singing skill: 255"

If you never knew that, now you do... so you can actually keep tabs on whether " ___ skill + #" latents are active or not.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Tdizzle
    Or because Sanction is the same type of buff as Signet. Like Barfire, barblizzard, etc- you can have only one active but none are dominant; they will each overwrite the others, unlike tiered spells like Protect and Shell.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Or because Sanction is the same type of buff as Signet. Like Barfire, barblizzard, etc- you can have only one active but none are dominant; they will each overwrite the others, unlike tiered spells like Protect and Shell.
    I agree with why it's so, but isn't it arguable that it shouldn't be so? I mean, Sanction is a buff that apparently allows the Empire monitor your progress and award you with Imperial Standing credits accordingly. Signet, on the other hand, marks you as a participant in your nation's conquest campaign. They really have nothing to do with eachother, in terms of story... yeah, mechanically they are pretty much identical... which makes me think the developers perhaps missed the fact that Sanction is triggering our conquest-related items when it shouldn't be. Though I'm sure they made sure our Signet wasn't giving us Imperial Standing credits in ToAU zones.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    I agree with why it's so, but isn't it arguable that it shouldn't be so? I mean, Sanction is a buff that apparently allows the Empire monitor your progress and award you with Imperial Standing credits accordingly. Signet, on the other hand, marks you as a participant in your nation's conquest campaign. They really have nothing to do with eachother, in terms of story... yeah, mechanically they are pretty much identical... which makes me think the developers perhaps missed the fact that Sanction is triggering our conquest-related items when it shouldn't be. Though I'm sure they made sure our Signet wasn't giving us Imperial Standing credits in ToAU zones.
    It may not be a matter of storyline; it is possible that it is like this because of how buffs are programmed. Buffs that belong to overwriting or tiered groups like bar-elemental spells, en-spells, songs, protect, etc probably have one variable that tell the game that it is there, and this is what affects Latent or Conquest effects, not the identity of the spell itself. (Do it does not matter what song you have on, Auditory Torque will work regardless of the particular song present or Enhancing Sword will work regardless of the type of en-spell.)

It may simply be impossible to separate Signet from Sanction in a situation like this, or would require that every conquest item be reprogrammed so it checks that you have signet on in a Conquest region. (Which would end up taking time away from making new items/quests/events to fix.)

Then again, I could be completely wrong about this. I am just trying to put forth a rational guess.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Auditory Torque will work regardless of the particular song present
    it also works with Phantom Roll which is a mistake they were too lazy to test/fix.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by layoneil
    it also works with Phantom Roll which is a mistake they were too lazy to test/fix.
    O.o do Melody Earrings work with Phantom Roll?

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by WizerdRemora
    O.o do Melody Earrings work with Phantom Roll?
    yes

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It may not be a mistake. It may be a side effect of designing the system to only allow a person to use two songs and/or rolls.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Personally, I don't think it's a mistake at all but I can't satisfactorily explain why it makes sense.