Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level

riddle me this Zigma,

Where do you find your fstab file?

I'm being easy on you

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

I know that wasn't directed at me... but...what kind of question is that?

Unless you have some ghaytastic distro...

/etc/fstab

Asking what its for would be a little more stimulating. Not to mention you could of asked the loaction of just about any file. At least ask him something gaming releated.

What's the best app for generating a directx environment in x86?

What's the graphical limitations of using a precompiled kernel?

What VC maker has better linux based drivers?

Here's one for you Kross, what's the best protocol when multihoming and balance loading on a tier 1 network? I used to build software routers for ISPs. Anyways, enough loonis talk. Back to how much everyone hastes m$.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kareface

/etc/fstab

Asking what its for would be a little more stimulating. Not to mention you could of asked the loaction of just about any file. At least ask him something gaming releated.

Here's one for you Kross, what's the best protocol when multihoming and balance loading on a tier 1 network? I used to build software routers for ISPs. Anyways, enough loonis talk. Back to how much everyone hastes m$.
    sounds like you took Computer Science lol. To be honest I don't have the answer to your questions. Sorry I sounded like a Linux hotshot, I'm really not.

You are the Linux man Kareface, /bow.

btw, what's ur fav Linux ?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by kareface

/etc/fstab

1) trick question? since directx only runs on Windows, you'd probably have to use an virtual machine emulator. I'll go with um, cedega?

2) what do you mean graphical limitations? if you are running in text mode, the kernel should be able to support framebuffer on most modern cards...if you are trying to run xwindows, the xconf program should configure your video card for it.

3)'d say nVidia/ati, just to give you a result..but I'm not going to take that to the bank. LOL I've only delt with NVIDIA... they have closed source drivers that can be a pain sometimes... but they are reliable once they're setup

netz

Quote Originally Posted by Mifaco
    yeah, Linux is real hot when you have to configure some obscure .conf file in the X-FuckoffanDie module when you want to get 3D acceleration working.
    It's not really the distro maker's fault that ATI and nVidia are assholes about their 3D drivers on Linux, ATI moreso than nVidia. It still isn't always cakewalk to configure, but you wouldn't need to jump through quite as many hoops if X.org could actually integrate them into their code base.

That would be nice. Fucking with the AGP GART was so annoying, just to get the freakin' driver to even load and enable 3D acceleration. 2D was never bad.

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

1) trick question? since directx only runs on Windows, you'd probably have to use an virtual machine emulator. I'll go with um, cedega?
    That's the best one IMHO as well. I've been using TGT's sorfware sence winex.

2) what do you mean graphical limitations? if you are running in text mode, the kernel should be able to support framebuffer on most modern cards...if you are trying to run xwindows, the xconf program should configure your video card for it.
    This is a hard question for most out of the box users to answer. There are some hardware specific options that recompiling the kernel can only offer. If your really interested in this I can recommend some guides on how to optimize your kernel for gaming. Probably update your kernel while your at it.

3)I'd say nVidia/ati, just to give you a result..but I'm not going to take that to the bank. LOL I've only delt with NVIDIA... they have closed source drivers that can be a pain sometimes... but they are reliable once they're setup
    Nvidia tends todo more stable linux drivers then ATI on the whole. Your are right, nvidias drivers are closed source. Once they are installed tho, they tend to work. Where as ATIs are commonly riddle with problems. Not that I dislike ati, just their linux drivers are retarted.

You are the Linux man Kareface, /bow.
    Trust me. As far as linus goes, theres very few that could be at the top of the profession. There are people that make me look like a child. I used to do a lot of fun stuff with ISPs and servers a while back. I know more about the networking end of loonix.

btw, what's ur fav Linux ?
    I use gentoo at home. For servers I use Knoppix for r/o firewalls. Debian for r/a firewalls. BSD (not loonix, but like its brother from another mother) for routers and b/w shapers. Good old red hat for clusters, mainly for compatibility and uniformity. I remember when UC berkly was trying to make a RH cluster out of the old athlon MP processors. Cheapest supercomputer ever.

If you know know to get games working and how to mount shit. Like the basics of linux. I'd recommend gentoo. They have a moc BSD port system they call "Portage". I actualy prefer gentoos port system over BSDs. Also, gentoo doesn't usualy come precompiled. You have to manualy compile the kernel to your hardware. Even experienced linux users don't go that far in most cases. I guess experienced is a relative term.

One other great thing about gentoo is the community. One of the largest linux communitys in the world. They have an open forum where you can ask just about anything. Its the BG of the linux world so to speak (no shortage of tolls). The installation instructions are very clear and concise. After you finish your first (working) installation, you get a feeling like you just built your OS from strach.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    With Mac, well, I dont see why people like Mac.
    Mac is pretty. Mac is the original graphical user interface. My dad (and myself, when I was like 6) were DOS hardliners, we'd make fun of MS Windows for trying to copy Apple Macintosh. We'd also make fun of his coworkers, professional computer technicians, who complained of DOS being too difficult to use, cause a little girl was better at it than they. Those were the days...

But anyway, Mac is actually far superior to PCs when it comes to any kind of graphic art work. Photoshop, Maya, Flash, After Effects, and other imaging/modeling/moviemaking programs run best on a Mac. So if you're going into the digital arts you'd better know OSX. For gaming though, the PC just blows Mac out of the water due to its price, upgradability, and wide availability of a variety of software.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Yeah, I always hear people saying Mac is best for image stuff, but ive used Photoshop, Rhino and Maya on both and I never saw any diffrences. It was one of those newer Macs too, OSX9 or 10 w/e they are lol.

Remove Validation tool:

Step 1: download HijackThis

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

Step 2: Run HijackThis and scan system.

Step 3: Find and Check these 2 entries!

020 - Winlogon Notify: Wgalogon - C:\windows\system32\wgalogon.dll

AND:

016 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - Http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=48835

Step 4: Once checked, click the Fix Checked button. (this should make a backup automatically)

Step 5: Restart System.

Step 6: WIN!

Oh and after done, WinUpdate will try to download again. Just check the box to never show this update again. (unless you have your system update without showing you the list first)

/cheers