+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Twentytwo Obv
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie

Isnt it depressing to camp the same 3NMS for the past 3yrs?

I haven't been in the FFXI scene for a while, but I do come to these boards every once in a while and see whats new but just about every 10 posts its a nidhogg this, behemoth that or fafnir this thread. FFXI has been out for what about 3yrs going on 4 for NA? Isnt it extremely depressing to have to sit in the same 3 spots everyday for more or less 3hours and camp these things? I mean shouldnt have progression in the game by now have made the drops from these guys obsolete? So really I'm just wondering why do you guys still do it and not move on to...another game or something aside from getting your 9th job to level 75. Espeically the more hardcore 9-5++ players...why?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

$20 saying this thread turns into a WoW vs FFXI flame war lasting about 20 pages, with a little rmting thrown in for good measure

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

And about all the bots in the game aswell.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Twentytwo Obv
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie

I'm not really trying to compare this to WoW but it seems like all MMOs there is a rate of progression in which all item become shit sooner or later, I mean look at EQ the items in there are insane nowadays compared to way back when. Even with WoW the first endgame 40man raid (Molten Core) gear is mostly garbage compared to the newest items in the game and thats only been about a year and half since MC came out. I'm not at all trying to compare FFXI to WoW, but more or less FFXI to all MMOs, where the progression gear? Why should you guys still have to camp those things after so long?

FFXI vs WoW round 148918491

It always starts off like this.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

3 Kings are sad... but what is even more sad is Dynamis. .01% drop rates on mostly sub par armor is the worst idea in MMO history imo.

FFXI has a poor effect on everyone because there is much need to be greedy. Competition for items and the extreme lack of supply is what keeps 200+ people camping day 10 nidhogg.

Not to start a WoW vs. FFXI war or anything... but in WoW there instances that everyone gets to experience... not a king that only pops once every 1-2 weeks.. and actually come out of it with something.

The ONLY thing that keeps people playing FFXI and SE getting there 15$ every month are insane goals like relic upgrades and abj. bodys that are not even worth the effort and take years to complete. Do yourself a favor and just try another MMO.. dosent have to be WoW.. and realize how flawed and out-of-date FFXI is.

BG is my LJ
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lovely Nirokun
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

sup walawala turban
    sup palalananalanalaallanwu
    sup ultima/omega gear
    sup yingyang robe
    sup blessed gear
    sup bahamut's mask
    sup bahamut's staff
    sup all that assault shit i want (*'3') mmm +hMP

i really dont see people run around in abjuration gear anymore, some of it has its place (dalmatica for rdms and brds, koenig cuirass for plds in some cases, dryadic abj gear i dont hear about all to often, etc etc) but nobody runs around in zenith slacks/crown lol (some do, and you just wonder...)

I think there is 'so much drama' surrounding 3kings because the item drops are so rare, and people focus so much on their parsers (which, im sure most of you cant really tell the difference between a hauberk/paluwanaloooooo/adaman hauberk without a parser). FFXI has a great deal of subtlety (i know i didnt spell that right) about its gear, 1STR wont make you hit that much harder at 75, but HQ is sooooooooooooooooooooooo back-breakingly expensive all the time its ridiculous.

The only other mmo i've ever really payed the littlest amount of attention to was WoW, where gear there, the difference is huge. Keep in mind: WoW mobs dont nearly have as much HP as ffxi ones, and ffxi characters dont nearly have as much HP as WoW ones, level for level. And ffxi characters deal more/heal more/mitigate more damage than WoW characters as comparable to their HP. I have yet to see a mage consistently deal more dmg comparable to their HP than a ffxi black mage. Also, it seems to me (in my humble opinion) that hate is a more solid thing in ffxi than it is in WoW. As far as I can discern, with WoW, you have more room to play around with hate, because mobs dont hit that hard, and taunts are extremely powerful hate tools.

...I lost my point...

I dunno, maybe im not as closely in-tune with the hate system in WoW as i am with ffxi, but at least in ffxi, i know when a cure III will break the camel's back :X with wow, its spam healing touch zooooomg (and their healing over time is like ..... 3 seconds..... thats the time?! i wouldnt even want to do that!?!! im just a regen whore )

Edit: its not a ffxi vs wow thing >_> really :X

I play for the community. Is that sad or what?

I actually find joy in being someone that most people talk shit about. It’s 100 times more satisfying when you accomplish something with so many people hoping you fail.

In the end though - things like ventrilo and teamspeak really seal the deal. Sure, you could use them with any game, but when your whole linkshell uses it - it turns into something a bit different.... there’s a more personal level put onto the game. If it wasn't for vent, I probably would have quit for shit like WC3.

Yes - I know the above was semi off topic...

As far as gear becoming useless - FFXI seems to have made every piece of gear unique. If it’s a sought after piece of equipment, you may find something /close to it/, but nothing quite measures up.

For example: Byakko Haidate. This is a very simple piece of gear to a lot of end game players. If you spent 6 months or so in sky like most linkshells did, you got haidate -- and looking at other gear.. Nothing really compares to 5% haste and 15 dex on legs for the jobs that can wear it.

King loot is the same - but there’s a twist that really appeals to everyone non jappo~ the equipment is rare to us. You don’t really see many North American players with it - and if it’s good or not isn't the point... it’s the fact you don’t see it. It’d be like getting a big flaming sword in another game. The stats could be shit, but its a flaming sword.. i mean cmon. flames.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Well, I think saying killing the same kings/mobs etc etc. for 3-4 years is a bit misleading....unless you're JP or were in a JP HNMLS for the first 2-3 years. I don't know how it was on your servers but I'm pretty sure it was the same as Fairy, King camps and drops were dominated by JPs for one reason or another up until the spawn delay patch about a year ago.

NAs pretty much dominate King camps on Fairy now, although the competition is more fierce than it has ever been before. 5-6 LS competing for Fafhogg, 3-4 at KB, 2-3 at Aspid. Every day, anytime day or night. Although NA LS have closed the gap in terms of gear/abjs, competition means drops are spread out amongst the LS and that keeps people coming back.

Other than that, there's few things you can do in FFXI on a daily basis that provide a decently challenging fight with worthwhile drops.

Chiz

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

there are plenty of subtlties in wow, silly thing to argue about.

On topic.. its because you can level lots of jobs on your same character, and get gear for all of them. There is progression, its just sideways and sideupgrades (maybe not true progression but a semantics argument obviously isnt the point of this thread). For the most part, nothing really makes old gear truly obsolete, spare specific items. I agree 100%.

There is just sooooo much to FFXI.. u are constantly setting goals, that are really difficult (get drop X off mob Y). Even if only artificially difficult because of a poor droprate or w/e, its still difficult, and grants a feeling of accomplishment. The ammount of these goals you can set for any job, plus the fact that you can level other jobs constantly.. i think thats one of the reasons a lot of us play it.

As far as camping kings ultra religiously.. yah that is deffinitely a reason to hate this game... so dont do it. After you've been doing it for 4-6 months, and ppl are tired of it.. only camp Day 4+ when its in your timezone. It really turns out to be not the major focus of your existence in FFXI, because if it is thats a problem... no wonder you grow to hate the game.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

other MMOs don't have tarutarus...

i don't play a taru, but i just couldn't stand an mmo without them.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Judah pretty much hit the nail on the head.

As for gear, this is the 800th time somebody has said this, but Sky gear really set the standard a bit high. As Judah said, some of the 3kings gear isnt even that spectacular, but its a rarity among North American players, like Dalmatica, not /excellent/ stats, but its a freakin Dalmatica (Okay, probably not the best example in the world).

BG is my LJ
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lovely Nirokun
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by jerkbox
    other MMOs don't have tarutarus...

i don't play a taru, but i just couldn't stand an mmo without them.
    i told this to my friend who played wow lol

he said they have gnomes... and i was like

"NO! LITTLE FURRY PEOPLE ARE NOT THE SAME! THEY'RE LITTLE AND FURRY AND UGLY AND DEFINATELY NOT CUTE!"

then proceeded to imitate the dealings of a very cute taru, overwhelmed in thought :3 warptaru anyone? :D

Warp taru is the most adorable thing in the game. Period.

I like when people say "Don't want to start a FFXI vs WoW arguement", cause that's what starts off the arguement.

Hey, THERES A STICKY TOPIC FOR THIS SHIT! (maybe not FFXI vs WoW, but take it there)

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...toritaru01.jpg

That's the most cutest thing in ffxi

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Re: Isnt it depressing to camp the same 3NMS for the past 3y

Quote Originally Posted by Twentytwo
    I haven't been in the FFXI scene for a while, but I do come to these boards every once in a while and see whats new but just about every 10 posts its a nidhogg this, behemoth that or fafnir this thread. FFXI has been out for what about 3yrs going on 4 for NA? Isnt it extremely depressing to have to sit in the same 3 spots everyday for more or less 3hours and camp these things? I mean shouldnt have progression in the game by now have made the drops from these guys obsolete? So really I'm just wondering why do you guys still do it and not move on to...another game or something aside from getting your 9th job to level 75. Espeically the more hardcore 9-5++ players...why?
    Did you throw away every model car/lego construction you spent hours and hours creating?

Kind of the same feeling with any MMO that has an absurdly high time invested/progress ratio like FFXI, Everquest, or fuckit, some of the old MUDs. There's a certain geek attachment we can't help but have to things we made using hundreds of our leisure hours, no matter how silly it seems to some. It's a virtual thing that only exists on a server, but the construction of it feels the same to me in the end.

Correction Wrote
    Did you throw away every model car/lego construction you spent hours and hours creating?
    That pretty much sums it up for me. There is tons of things to do in this game even still, after over 2 years of playing, why throw away everything you've already done. Even if you dont play hardcore 15+ hours a day, still fun to talk to ppl you met and done great things with.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kemi Gumi
    FFXIV Server
    Malboro
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

did wow, it's just as boring and repetitive in the end.

fight's are short and involve about as much skill as mashing your number keys with your forearm. and gg on thousands of ninjalotters.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kemigumi

fight's are short and involve about as much skill as mashing your number keys with your forearm. and gg on thousands of ninjalotters.
    and ffxi isn't repetitive?

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kemi Gumi
    FFXIV Server
    Malboro
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by kemigumi

and ffxi isn't repetitive?
    most ppl in ffxi can read.

the game looks better, and if you're patient it's more rewarding imo.

besides, i camp 3 kings to watch other LS kite fafnir.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast